Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-02-25 1:09 PM
in reply to: #4052730

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Subject: RE: Ironman bad dream

zaugfear - 2012-02-17 7:37 AM Thanks for confirming that i'm nuts!  I'm glad to here your admitting it as well.  I guess we both passed the acceptance stage of Ironman Anonymous. 

Having a bad dream before an Ironman is like falling over with clipless pedals. Everyone has had one, or is going to have one.

I've had a few bad dreams involving things going wrong.  Probably the most memorable one involved being stuck near Yellow Lake on the IMC course, with a chain that had fallen off.  For the life of me, I couldn't get the chain to stay put in my hands, it was just slippery like wet ices.  Then the front crank itself came off the bike in my hands.  As I'm trying to get it back on, the chain breaks into individual links and falls to the ground. 

I woke up in a sheer panic and since the bike was in the hotel room with me I turned on the light and checked the chain. :-)

2012-02-25 11:42 PM
in reply to: #4041713

User image

Regular

I had several bad dreams before my first ironman.  Most revolved around being late or not having the right equipment at the start or transition.  The worst one involved open water swimming with huge waves and sharks (right before IM FL).  Thank goodness neither were present this past November.

Its funny but most of my dreams occured before signing up and training for my first ironman.  Now that I've done it, I've had zero bad dreams. Anyone else have the bad dreams go away like this?

2012-02-27 6:12 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I am seven months out from my next ironman but last night I had a dream I was racing on my mountain bike with two flat tires. I finally got air for the tires and realized that I had no water or nutrition. Very disconcerting.

The nightmares may not end. The night after my first ironman I woke in a panic because I thought I had missed a loop on a multi loop run course. I realized it too late because midnight had come and gone. I woke in a panic thinking I had not really finished my ironman. This was made even more weird because the race did NOT have a multi loop run, just one big loop. The mind is a strange thing.
2012-05-05 7:54 PM

A couple of days ago I did a 2hr bike/1hr run brick. The night after I woke up suddenly at about 3am and was sure that my training plan had in fact called for a 1.5hr run after the bike. I had screwed it up and done 30min less that I was supposed to!

I was actually going to get out of bed and go check my program but eventually realized I was being ridiculous and even if I accidentally shortened the run there was nothing to do about it now.  

In the morning I checked the program - it called for a 1hr run.

It was a "funny" experience, but it also served as a gentle reminder to chill out and enjoy the process. 

2012-05-05 9:10 PM

Maple Valley
I have had lots of bad IM dreams, getting lost on the run course, accidently doing the swim start in a pool and wondering where everyone was...but the best one of all was finishing the race in just over 7 hours and wondering why everyone always said how hard it was!!  I loved that one!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman bad dream Rss Feed  

of 2