General Discussion Triathlon Talk » efficient T1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-08 5:01 PM

User image

Expert
acton, Ma
Subject: efficient T1

Hi all --

Just got my sleeveless wetsuit last week and tested it out.  It was really hard to remove from my ankles and legs.  I have a race in 10 days.  Is this something body glide can help with?  What about KY jelly?  Any advice on graceful disrobing greatly appreciated.

By the way -- it's amzing how much more boyant (sp?) I became.

2004-06-08 6:02 PM
in reply to: #30081

User image

Regular
Seattle
Subject: RE: efficient T1
2004-06-08 6:03 PM

Wellington
Use a silicone gel or a baby oil around your ankles [and wrists if you have a full suit]. I don't know what is in KY but NEVER use any petroleum based products [it will destroy your suit]. Put your thumb under the suit at shoulder [not your throat as you don't want to pull on the collar]. In a full suit I slide down to the bicep on one arm an then the other. Reach behind you and pull sleeve off the the tricep and down the arm. As you roll the suit down the body keep it turning inside out. Only try to step out of the suit once it is rolled down past your calves!! Try hooking your thumbs under the wetsuit to pull it free from your feet. Oh and a helpful tip before you start all this - undo the zip before you undo the flap [if you have a suit with a flap]. Does make it much so much faster.
2004-06-08 8:07 PM

Champion

Use body glide.  It took me 3 minutes to remove my wetsuit at home.  I put body glide on, just from the knees down and cut that time down to 1 minute on a swim this weekend.  With more practice I know I can get it down to less than 30 seconds.

Max

2004-06-08 9:53 PM

User image

Expert
Iowa
Removing a wetsuit doesn't need to be time consuming. Body Glide is an ideal lubricant. Roll it on like deodorant on your forearms and shins (fronts and backs). As you exit the water, take the wetsuit off to the hips by turning the arms inside out and pulling them off.  Run to the bike with the wetsuit around your waist. At the bike, simply peel the legs off - again by turning them inside out  and stepping out of it. If you try to pull the arms or legs off, you will take forever and possibly damage the material. By the way, if you have a full wetsuit I would advise not wearing a watch.  If the watch is worn over the suit or on your wrist, a tight-fitting sleeve will not pass by the watch. You'll have to take the watch off! Luckily, I found this out during a practice session. Good luck!
2004-06-09 2:03 AM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
the super duper secret?

Pam cooking spray

I knew about it and yet my first tri I balked and didn't do it....

My second tri I used it and Holy Moly! that suit came off quicker than a dress on prom night during T1....

but that's just my humble opinion....not that *my* dress came off that quick...or that *any* dress would or that....oh hell, it was just an expression.....

Point is....i sprayed it on my calves and rubbed it in before pulling on the suit...(bring an extra small towel to wipe your hands) and that's all I needed.....some of my friends sprayed it on upper thighs as well....test it out and see....just be careful as you're spraying it...don't wanna inhale the fumes....but it works wonders.

ps....as others have posted..don't use petroleum based products...they destroy the suit....nuf said.

good luck

nt

Edited by crpadiem 2004-06-09 2:08 AM

2004-06-09 6:39 AM
in reply to: #30176

Champion

Holy Moly! that suit came off quicker than a dress on prom night during T1.... but that's just my humble opinion....not that *my* dress came off that quick...or that *any* dress would or that....

LOL...reminds me of another expression, somthing like "From the mouths of babes and infants..."

We now return you to our regularly scheduled thread topic! 

2004-06-09 8:45 AM
in reply to: #30100

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: Baby Oil?
"Use a silicone gel or a baby oil around your ankles [and wrists if you have a full suit]. I don't know what is in KY but NEVER use any petroleum based products [it will destroy your suit]."

FYI -- I thought you might like to know that baby oil IS petroleum-based. I bring this up because we're always told not to use it with condoms because the baby oil will cause them to disintegrate. KY is water-based.

I did find plenty of websites that say in one sentence not to use a petroleum-based lubricant, but then that baby oil was okay, so I don't know what's right. In fact, I find it very weird.

To be safe, I would use whatever lubricant that the wetsuit manufacturer recommends. If they don't make a recommendation, then I would use a product that is formulated specifically for use with wetsuits.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » efficient T1 Rss Feed