General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heard Joe Friel speak... what he said about swim mechanics Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-02-12 8:05 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: Heard Joe Friel speak... what he said about swim mechanics
I know swimming is always a hot topic on the boards, so I figured I would start on a thread on what Joe Friel told us about swimming at our tri club seminar.

Before I do, let me say that my background in swimming is from H.S. and I swam competitively. I decided to ditch swimming in college, because I didn't love it that much. And the reality is that I wasn't the top swimmer... but a MOPer. I kept up with swimming through the years so I kept my form. Then I because a USAT Level I coach... and took a 3-hour seminar outside of their training to learn how to help people be better swimmers. A lot of which reinforced what I already knew about swimming.

So anyways... at this point in my life I'm a solid swimmer and generally place top 3 in my AG on the swim, if not 1st place. I say all of this not to brag, but to point out that I'm not someone who started swimming as an adult, or just for triathlon racing.

On to what Joe Friel said.... he started with saying that when you work on technique there are "big rocks" and "small rocks". He has 3 "big rocks" that he works on with clients (beginning swimmers) that help them become pretty good swimmers. After that, then you work on small rocks (aka: the small fixes).

(1) What regards to arm entry, he said that for pool swimming (competitive swimming) you think about slipping your hand in half way between your head and your arm stretch out all the way. For OWSing, you don't do this. Instead, you take your arm out of the water, fling/stretch it all the way out, and slap it into the water. If you watch some of the top pro triathletes, you will see this form. They kind of straight arm it, and fling their arm into the water. Which for me, it makes me cringe, being a pool swimmer. It's messy and sloppy. I love swimming fast, without hardly making any splash, but he said that it doesn't really work for open water. I will say that when I do swim coaching/instruction I have people do what I know to be correct... but I might be changing that. I'm also going to try this new arm entry and see how it works for me. I have been stuck at 1:40 ish per 100 for open water for YEARS... time to shake things up.

He also said that this arm entry helps fix the lack of body rotation issue. He pointed out that if you are stretching your arm out fully that your hip will follow. Thus, body rotation. So you don't have to think about rotating your hips and body while swimming.

(2) When your arms go into the water, you want them to be wide and not cross over your mid-line. Basically, think of your head as 12:00. Your left arm goes in at 11:00, and your right arm in at 1:00. He didn't use the "time" as a way to describe it, that's my way of helping people reading visualize it.

(3) Once you have flung your arm all the way out, and you have entered at 11:00/1:00, you immediately take your hand, and point your fingers straight down. What a lot of people do, is start to pull through with a straight arm, which pushes the water down (so you don't propel yourself forward), then the fingers point down, and the elbow comes up. The fingers/hand need to point down immediately after entering the water, so the elbow is high and the pull starts when your hand immediately enters the water, versus that lag time.

Overall I found it to be very interesting and I'm certainly going to think about some of what he said during my next swim training session. I know I'm great in a pool and slower in open water. I want to get faster in open water, so why not try?

Hope this was informative!

2012-02-12 8:20 AM
in reply to: #4042851

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Heard Joe Friel speak... what he said about swim mechanics
I've never heard about the sloppy arm slap. Did he say why that approach works better for OWS in particular, other than for the rotational aspect? 
2012-02-12 8:36 AM
in reply to: #4042875

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Shop Cat - 2012-02-12 8:20 AM

I've never heard about the sloppy arm slap. Did he say why that approach works better for OWS in particular, other than for the rotational aspect? 

Well I am calling it sloppy. That's not what he said. He said it is better for OWS, to reach far out, flinging your arm out and reaching for the water. Not sure sure what you mean by rotational aspect. He said that your hips will naturally rotate with this form.

I'm trying to find a video that shows what I'm talking about. Rather hard... I'm probably not searching for the right terms in YouTube.

2012-02-12 8:39 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Here we go... 1:30 into this video you can see the straight arms for the most part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQON8IdCJxE
2012-02-12 8:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I guess "aspect" was the wrong word. I was referring to the advantage of automatic rotation you mentioned in the OP. 

A clearer question would be why this arm entry is better suited to OWS while the traditional entry is better for pool swimmers. In other words, if the straight arm presumable leads to a faster OWS time, why wouldn't it also work for a pool swimmer (or would it)?

Thanks for the video!

2012-02-12 9:00 AM
in reply to: #4042898

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Shop Cat - 2012-02-12 8:49 AM

I guess "aspect" was the wrong word. I was referring to the advantage of automatic rotation you mentioned in the OP. 

A clearer question would be why this arm entry is better suited to OWS while the traditional entry is better for pool swimmers. In other words, if the straight arm presumable leads to a faster OWS time, why wouldn't it also work for a pool swimmer (or would it)?

Thanks for the video!

He did explain why it is better for OWSing, but I can't seem to recall exactly what he said. Sorry!

Honestly, when I have watched newer competitive pool swimmers at local pools, they are slapping the water as well. So I wouldn't say it is solely used for triathletes who are OWSing.

So this video shows Ian Thorpe pointing his fingers to the bottom of the pool immediately. You didn't ask for that, but I ran across it, so I'm posting it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8qUpeDb8kI

Interestingly enough, a lot of the top swimmers in the world only breathe on one side.

Still looking for a video with people slapping the water who are competitive swimmers in the pool. I know I have seen it in person from good competitive swimmers, because I think it is so sloppy looking. Annoys me to no end. Ha!

2012-02-12 9:03 AM
in reply to: #4042908

User image

Melon Presser
KSH - 2012-02-12 11:00 PM

Thanks for the video!

He did explain why it is better for OWSing, but I can't seem to recall exactly what he said. Sorry! Honestly, when I have watched newer competitive pool swimmers at local pools, they are slapping the water as well. So I wouldn't say it is solely used for triathletes who are OWSing. So this video shows Ian Thorpe pointing his fingers to the bottom of the pool immediately. You didn't ask for that, but I ran across it, so I'm posting it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8qUpeDb8kIInterestingly enough, a lot of the top swimmers in the world only breathe on one side. Still looking for a video with people slapping the water who are competitive swimmers in the pool. I know I have seen it in person from good competitive swimmers, because I think it is so sloppy looking. Annoys me to no end. Ha!

Janet Evans!

Also, I'm on a slow connex so having a hard time searching and videos take forever, but if you can find the epic TJ Fry swim video, you can see many of the leaders doing a straight-arm recovery, despite it being a very flat swim.

I have a much straighter-arm recovery in the ocean as well--it does help you rotate more (uneven surface means you may have to rotate further to breathe), you can swim over swells instead of crashing into them with your arms, and a wetsuit seems to kind of just make your arm boing out that way.

2012-02-12 9:19 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Double post

Edited by AdventureBear 2012-02-12 9:22 AM
2012-02-12 9:21 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Fingers down is the only way you can start a catch with the ARM totally extended. I think what he is saying displays poor understanding of mechanics , physics and the density of water. Reaching over the water like you describe means that many triathletes will he pushing thier hips down in response, and that is the biggest "rock" swimmers need to have fixed.

As far as.swells,.think about piercing them rather than swimming over them. Much calmer swim that way, and all mehanics are.preserved. swimming over creates new vectors that destabilize the body.
2012-02-12 12:33 PM
in reply to: #4042911

Master
, California
TriAya - 2012-02-12 7:03 AM
KSH - 2012-02-12 11:00 PM

Thanks for the video!

He did explain why it is better for OWSing, but I can't seem to recall exactly what he said. Sorry! Honestly, when I have watched newer competitive pool swimmers at local pools, they are slapping the water as well. So I wouldn't say it is solely used for triathletes who are OWSing. So this video shows Ian Thorpe pointing his fingers to the bottom of the pool immediately. You didn't ask for that, but I ran across it, so I'm posting it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8qUpeDb8kIInterestingly enough, a lot of the top swimmers in the world only breathe on one side. Still looking for a video with people slapping the water who are competitive swimmers in the pool. I know I have seen it in person from good competitive swimmers, because I think it is so sloppy looking. Annoys me to no end. Ha!

Janet Evans!

Also, I'm on a slow connex so having a hard time searching and videos take forever, but if you can find the epic TJ Fry swim video, you can see many of the leaders doing a straight-arm recovery, despite it being a very flat swim.

I have a much straighter-arm recovery in the ocean as well--it does help you rotate more (uneven surface means you may have to rotate further to breathe), you can swim over swells instead of crashing into them with your arms, and a wetsuit seems to kind of just make your arm boing out that way.

I was thinking of Janet Evans too.  But she also does some things that would make coaches really shake their heads -- if she wasn't an Olympic champion.

2012-02-12 1:06 PM

Extreme Veteran

As a pool and open water racer I strongly disagree that there are two distinct stroke types for each type of racing.  I believe that best practices in the pool, where we spend the majority of our training, are also best practices in open water.

The notion of putting your arms in halfway between your head and end point of your reach has largely gone out of fashion, about 8-10 years ago.  The straight arm, maximum reach recovery and set is much more prevalent and generates the most power. The "ride the glide" approach is simply dated, along with drills like finger tip drag and body zipper.  As with all sports, swim training evolves.

As much as possible you should try to emulate your pool swimming in the open water, keeping your head down except to sight/breathe, use a straight arm recovery, etc.  When I focus on these elements in the open water as opposed to some open water style I always swim faster and place better.  

I do totally agree than not crossing your mid line is a critical element of successful swimming.  

I think we also have to be careful comparing ourselves and styles to Evan, Phelps, Yang, etc.  These are one in a billion swimmers.  Evans has sets named after her, the "Janet Evans Set" is standard fare for most AG teams.  Phelps' walls are legendary.  Yang is well on his way to some sort of aquatic immortality.

I get nervous when I read and hear tri coaches preach a one step solution for swimming, such as SPL, or this different type of OW stroke.  The bottom line is, if possible, find a swim coach who is up to date on the latest training techniques who doesn't have a magic formula that only he/she is in possession of.

2012-02-12 1:49 PM

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

Jane Evans 800 Olympic Final

Perfect stroke isn't everything.  

2012-02-12 1:56 PM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
I know what I'll be working on/experimenting with tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!
2012-02-12 2:25 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I read somewhere last summer that the straight arm recovery was preferable for shorter distances, since the arm swinging overhead generates forward momentum, but that the "traditional" high elbow recovery was better for longer distances since its more energy-efficient.

I gather from one of the earlier posts that this is no longer considered true?
2012-02-12 3:43 PM
in reply to: #4043253

Extreme Veteran

jmk-brooklyn - 2012-02-12 2:25 PM I read somewhere last summer that the straight arm recovery was preferable for shorter distances, since the arm swinging overhead generates forward momentum, but that the "traditional" high elbow recovery was better for longer distances since its more energy-efficient. I gather from one of the earlier posts that this is no longer considered true?

It is sort of a hybrid.  It is almost impossible to sustain a true straight arm for more than a few yards/meters.  It requires enormous strength.  High elbow recovery is pretty slow and isn't conducive to a longer recovery and catch.  I was a huge fan of the high elbow when it was all popular but now have switched to the modified straight arm recovery.  It is faster.

2012-02-12 3:57 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region

Thanks for posting Karen!  I've been swimming a bit more regularly (but less frequently)  than this time last year but I have so much more to work on to just be a MOP triathlon swimmer (it will take a LOT more to be a MOP pure swimmer!). These 'swim thoughts' will help. I've been wondering about my hand entry since I tend to enter further away from my head so I won't worry about that and continue to focus on reaching.  

I just signed up for my 2nd 70.3 race and I hope to improve on my 50 min swim time last year!

2012-02-12 5:02 PM
in reply to: #4043328

User image

Veteran
Maryland
H20 Killer - 2012-02-12 3:43 PM

jmk-brooklyn - 2012-02-12 2:25 PM I read somewhere last summer that the straight arm recovery was preferable for shorter distances, since the arm swinging overhead generates forward momentum, but that the "traditional" high elbow recovery was better for longer distances since its more energy-efficient. I gather from one of the earlier posts that this is no longer considered true?

It is sort of a hybrid.  It is almost impossible to sustain a true straight arm for more than a few yards/meters.  It requires enormous strength.  High elbow recovery is pretty slow and isn't conducive to a longer recovery and catch.  I was a huge fan of the high elbow when it was all popular but now have switched to the modified straight arm recovery.  It is faster.

So for this modified straight arm recovery, how close to the water is your arm actually swinging?  So if you were to create an angle with respect to the water, 0 is the water, 90 is straight up, is your recovery arm closer to the water or closer to the 45?  Hope that makes sense, just trying to visualize.  And is that angle based on your body rotation alone? So small angle or closer to the water means less rotation?  Or is it closer to the 90?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by bgeyeguy 2012-02-12 5:06 PM
2012-02-12 5:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
The guy in the lead at the beginning of the video has the quickest sighting I've ever seen.  
2012-02-12 6:05 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Wondering if what Joe Freil is talking about (and Janet Evans' stroke) is more a function of her body type and that of a typical elite triathlete vs. a competitive pool swimmer. When I swam competitively (just under/around 20 flat for 1500/1650--can't recall exact time,) my coach liked to compare my stroke (alas, not my speed LOL, and NOt my breathing--hers is one-of-a-kind!) to Janet's--kind of choppy, very straight, high rate of turnover, more kick than most distance swimmers.  Janet is massively outsized in that race--she's not only on the short side but very lean for a top-level swimmer. With the more graceful, "glide", type stroke, I (and probably she) would start to sink, unless sprinting, as there is little natural buoyancy. Good head position helps but isn't enough. The arms have to keep moving, fast. Presumably a lot of top triathletes would be in the same boat--low body fat, more muscular legs, and probably more petite frames esp. among the women than among elite pool swimmers.  Plus the faster, straighter style seems a natural way to get through choppy water, and it's always choppy in a tri start LOL. I always see people complain on this forum that they have a lean, "runner" build so they can't swim fast. That's simply not true--look at Janet; me in my youth for a more MOP case.  But it may require unorthodox form in some cases.
2012-02-12 6:22 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Those "rocks" as he calls them are really informative!  Thanks for the post!!
2012-02-12 6:30 PM
in reply to: #4043399

Extreme Veteran
bgeyeguy - 2012-02-12 5:02 PM So for this modified straight arm recovery, how close to the water is your arm actually swinging?  So if you were to create an angle with respect to the water, 0 is the water, 90 is straight up, is your recovery arm closer to the water or closer to the 45?  Hope that makes sense, just trying to visualize.  And is that angle based on your body rotation alone? So small angle or closer to the water means less rotation?  Or is it closer to the 90?

Thanks in advance.

Think about it as a rainbow where you try to extend your arm more than the old high elbow recovery stroke.  With high elbow you'd have your arm bent at about 90 degrees and therefore your arm would enter the water way too early.  You'd then have to extend your arm in the water, or, "ride the glide."  With straight arm you try to put your arm in as far forward as possible so that you immediately begin your catch and pull.  It all clicked for me when my swim coach just said that the high elbow generally just doesn't afford you the opportunity to really pick up your stroke rate at all.  High elbow looks pretty but it is fairly slow.  

As with some other things, this is at the more technical end of swimming.  Modifying a good high elbow to a modified straight arm took me 7 months of 6X week swimming.  The ole ride the glide feels good and is hard to give up, but I did become much faster.  In Sept with a high elbow mostly I was at a 18:59/1650.  By the next April had it down to 18:07.

2012-02-12 6:34 PM
in reply to: #4043453

Extreme Veteran

Hot Runner - 2012-02-12 6:05 PM With the more graceful, "glide", type stroke, I (and probably she) would start to sink, unless sprinting, as there is little natural buoyancy.

Um, no.  This notion that people sink needs to be shelved permanently.  Every single elite level or OT level swimmer is nothing but a bundle of muscle and none of them sink.  I've seen Evans in warm up and cool down doing a fairly easy stroke and she's not stuck to the bottom of the pool.  Once and for all people need to move beyond this "muscular people sink" notion.  It simply is untrue. 

2012-02-12 6:51 PM
in reply to: #4043453

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

Shoulder health needs to be taken into account with any change you make...if you choose the straight arm/modified straight arm/whatever arm approach, beware of anterior shoulder stresses from hyper extension at the rear of the stroke if you are not also rotated to the same degree. And remember that the shortest path between two points is a straight line...rainbows are curved. bending the elbow creates a shorter lever which moves faster and places less stress on the shoulder joint when it is accelerated and decelerated.
2012-02-12 7:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
I have not seen or heard any evidence that the straight arm recovery causes any more shoulder injury than the high elbow.  But, I do agree you should always be mindful of not taking a stroke change too quickly.  And, never, ever wear paddles when contemplating or experimenting with a new stroke style. 
2012-02-12 8:13 PM
in reply to: #4043476

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
H20 Killer - 2012-02-12 7:34 PM

Hot Runner - 2012-02-12 6:05 PM With the more graceful, "glide", type stroke, I (and probably she) would start to sink, unless sprinting, as there is little natural buoyancy.

Um, no.  This notion that people sink needs to be shelved permanently.  Every single elite level or OT level swimmer is nothing but a bundle of muscle and none of them sink.  I've seen Evans in warm up and cool down doing a fairly easy stroke and she's not stuck to the bottom of the pool.  Once and for all people need to move beyond this "muscular people sink" notion.  It simply is untrue. 

Some people are more buoyant than others.  That's a fact.  So some people sink more easily than others.  That's just physics.

I think the truth in what you say is that even a much less buoyant person can learn good position in the water, even at relatively slow speeds (though I'd venture to say that Janet Evans' cool-down speed is close to my sprint speed, and that difference might matter...).  Learning good body position just might be harder, initially, for those who aren't bearing the equivalent of a wetsuit on board.  Doesn't mean that low body fat should become an excuse for poor body position in the water -- I agree -- but let's be realistic that learning good body position might be different for people with different body types.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heard Joe Friel speak... what he said about swim mechanics Rss Feed  

of 3