General Discussion Race Reports! » Outside the Oval Indoor Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Outside the Oval Indoor Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kearns, Utah
United States
Total Time = 2h 04m
Overall Rank = /50
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Not much since this was held indoors. I was disappointed to find out that my girls could not skate while I ran, as was stated on the website. I found out that was only for the 5K race that was held the night before. I strongly suggested that they fix that for next year. However, because Team USA was there practicing speedskating, the girls were happy to watch that instead of me running around and around.
Event warmup:

Took a walk around the 442m track.
Run
  • 2h 04m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Not happy with the time, really felt I would go under 2:00, don't know if it was the nature of this course with the mind numbing amount of laps and the difficulty keeping track of where I was lap-wise.
What would you do differently?:

Get the logistics straight in my head before starting rather than trying to figure it out while running.
Post race
Warm down:

Three hours of skating on the Olympic long track oval with my daughters! What a blast that was!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Math.

Event comments:

LOL on the drink station...there was one, same spot every time I came around the oval. :-)

Last updated: 2012-01-03 12:00 AM
Running
02:04:00 | 13.1 miles | 09m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/50
Performance: Average
Course: 442m track. 47 laps around. However, it was not that simple. I am no math brainiac, but apparently due to the extra 42m, the laps were counted a little differently. After the race I found a handy conversion chart that I wished I would have looked at before the race: 1 mile=3 3/5 laps, 2 miles=7 1/3 laps, 3 miles=11 laps. Had I had that straight in my head, especially the 3 mile=11 laps I think I could have paced it better. As it was, when I thought I had hit 40 laps I had actually only done 34--that was a bit deflating. It was also confusing as to where each new lap started--there were two electonic counting sections. One spot had a semi-large screen but in order to see where you were lap-wise, you had to actually stop and wait for your name to scroll through. It was frustrating to say the least. But, watching the speedskaters practice was a bit of a diversion. There is also a hockey rink inside the large oval, so there were games going on too.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-02-12 11:56 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: Outside the Oval Indoor Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Outside the Oval Indoor Half Marathon Rss Feed