General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Drinker thread follow up...benders? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-02-12 8:53 PM

Expert
Subject: Drinker thread follow up...benders?

Recently I saw a thread on here asking about how many triathletes on here are drinkers.  I was excited to see this thread because I'm one myself and have wondered.  Most of the responses were like "I have one beer after rides all the time" or "I love a glass of wine at night"!  

My problem isn't so much that...it's the benders that kill me.  I sometimes enjoy the beer after a ride, but rarely when i get home from long day at work then a long workout do i drink alcohol.  I usually go a week in a row without touching or wanting to drink it.  95% of my weekly volume comes in one night, and I have a periodic 3 day bender, with lots of alcohol, other things, and almost no sleep.  I'm 23 so feel like i can maybe get away with it compared to y'all with families/kids, but i do have a full time job that i am very lucky to have.

I would say this bender hapens every couple months for me but given that it's Mardi Gras in New Orleans i just had a rough one the last three days.  I'm determined to have this stop happening but it's tough. I am in ironman training right now and hope to put down a good time so I at least have to really limit it.   

My questions are...what kind of damage does the periodic bender do?  How much worse than regular habitual drinking, since I'm not a regular drinker?

how many of you guys have a bender every now and then?

I don't wake up with tigers in my hotel room, but it gets close.

2012-02-12 9:18 PM
in reply to: #4043679

User image

Loves Park
Subject: RE: Drinker thread follow up...benders?

I went on a Bender awhile back and after the second morning, my car was at a bar about 3 miles away. Since I missed a couple days, I thought it would be a good idea to run and get it. I was half hung over and still a bit buzzed. I decided to wear a HR monitor, I was running quite slow but the monitor still read somwhere around 220 and I know that can't be healthy...Other than missing days, my guess is too much boozin may hurt recovery, although i have no evidence to back that up...

2012-02-12 9:51 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana

From what I know, excess booze really can hurt recovery since it disrupts healthy sleep pattern & (in excess) can even be a muscle toxin.  To say nothing of the way it wrecks nutrition (from poor eating choices while buzzed to affecting absorption of nutrients to other misc GI effects like heartburn, nausea, diarrhea).  And remember that the body only eliminates about 1 drink per hour so if you train morning after a "bender" you may still be under the influence & at higher risk for mishap. 

No, dear friends, Mr. Booze is not a good partner for your IM training.

2012-02-12 10:58 PM

User image

Elite

What's so "tough"... just don't do it.

IM training or not... not too many people think periodic benders are a good thing.

2012-02-13 5:51 AM

User image

Elite
Never heard the term bender but seems to be the same as binge drinking. Not recommended but if its only once in awhile you could get away with it. I am going to fall short from saying keep it up though.
2012-02-13 7:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
JG_GreenCoast - 2012-02-12 8:53 PM

My problem isn't so much that...it's the benders that kill me.  I sometimes enjoy the beer after a ride, but rarely when i get home from long day at work then a long workout do i drink alcohol.  I usually go a week in a row without touching or wanting to drink it.  95% of my weekly volume comes in one night, and I have a periodic 3 day bender, with lots of alcohol, other things, and almost no sleep.  I'm 23 so feel like i can maybe get away with it compared to y'all with families/kids, but i do have a full time job that i am very lucky to have.

I would say this bender hapens every couple months for me but given that it's Mardi Gras in New Orleans i just had a rough one the last three days.  I'm determined to have this stop happening but it's tough. I am in ironman training right now and hope to put down a good time so I at least have to really limit it.   

I don't wake up with tigers in my hotel room, but it gets close.

You're 23. While "benders" are not a good idea, and as others have mentioned the disruption to your training via hangover, dehydration, etc. means you should really try to keep them to a minimum, I can't say that I'm suprised at this behavior. I imagine your social scene still retains some of the college-party patterns. 

But, may I warn you, that sometime around the age of 25 or so, you will suddenly find that you cannot drink Aftershock and Newcastle until 3 in the morning and still get up at 7 for an 8 mile run (..not that I'm speaking from experience.....Tongue out) Better to get out of the habit now - benders can have unintended consequences that will REALLY derail your training. 

2012-02-13 7:13 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
You're 23. Enjoy life. Unless you're a professional or play sports for your university, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm 37 and I still enjoy the occasional bender. In England, they drink as a means of socializing so it's somewhat unavoidable. If I know I have a race the next day or a long run I will abstain but there's nothing wrong with enjoying a night of drunken debauchery every now and then with your friends, especailly at your age. Now, if you're doing it every single night or it interferes with your life on a regular basis (c'mon, how may of us haven't been hungover at work or during a workout at one time or another), then there's an issue.
2012-02-13 7:45 AM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

A bender for me is having three drinks in one night.  More than that and...

I haven't done a multi-day bender since I was 22 years old.

2012-02-13 8:00 AM

User image

Veteran
"Other things" could potentially be more damaging than the occasional over indulgence of booze... But I'm sure you aleady know that. As long as you aren't "Whitney Houstoning" it up (too soon?), enjoy your youth. If good times with friends doing whatever is a priority at this point in your life, then enjoy it! You probably already know the immediate impact on YOUR training, when that becomes a problem you will re evaluate and adjust one way or the other.
2012-02-13 8:39 AM
in reply to: #4043994

User image

Master
Charlotte

mr2tony - 2012-02-13 8:13 AM You're 23. Enjoy life. Unless you're a professional or play sports for your university, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm 37 and I still enjoy the occasional bender. In England, they drink as a means of socializing so it's somewhat unavoidable. If I know I have a race the next day or a long run I will abstain but there's nothing wrong with enjoying a night of drunken debauchery every now and then with your friends, especailly at your age. Now, if you're doing it every single night or it interferes with your life on a regular basis (c'mon, how may of us haven't been hungover at work or during a workout at one time or another), then there's an issue.

^^ THIS.  And I will add, just don't drive.  When it regularly interfers with life, than it is an issue.  Sometimes you just need to unwind from life for a bit. 

2012-02-13 8:56 AM

User image

Elite

Wow.... 3 day benders with booze and other things and no sleep are socially accepted now for our youth... who knew?

Party on.

2012-02-13 9:04 AM

User image

New user
Cincinnati

Who cares. Have fun. If tying a good one every  once in a while does it for you ( like me ) then go for it. When you start waking up and telling yourself that it wasn't worth it , then you'll know its time to take it down a few next time.

As for your question,  I have no idea. Sorry. I would guess that around this forum, binge drinking isn't thought of as very acceptable and not many would advocate it over one or two more frequently. 

2012-02-13 9:07 AM
in reply to: #4044193

User image

Pro
powerman - 2012-02-13 8:56 AM

Wow.... 3 day benders with booze and other things and no sleep are socially accepted now for our youth... who knew?

Party on.

It's Mardi Gras........My wife and I plan on doing the same thing next weekend in New Orleans.  3 day drunken binges should NOT be wasted on the young!! Laughing

2012-02-13 9:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago

You are 23....have fun.  Drink if you want to, train if you want to.  Don't get too worried about it right now. 

2012-02-13 9:16 AM

User image

Regular
Boulder

I'm 25 and I'll totally agree with living it up while you can. Iron distance training takes a lot out of your social life at that age so it's fine to 'go all out' every once and awhile with the boys (if you're drinking alone, there's probably a bigger issue you need to address). That being said; once I started getting serious/ competitive I've pretty much cut out getting blacked-out hammered because my body just can't handle the hangovers or the dehydration the ensues the following day.

Truth be told, pretty soon you'll be tucking in at 9:30 on Friday nights after your 2 Michelob Ultras so you can get you're 'big run in the next morning.' I speak from experience, enjoy that part of your life while you still can!

2012-02-13 9:24 AM
in reply to: #4044238

User image

NC
TX_TRIron - 2012-02-13 10:16 AM

I'm 25 . . . . I speak from experience . . . .

Good god I'm getting old.

2012-02-13 10:39 AM
in reply to: #4044221

User image

Elite
Left Brain - 2012-02-13 8:07 AM
powerman - 2012-02-13 8:56 AM

Party on.

It's Mardi Gras........My wife and I plan on doing the same thing next weekend in New Orleans.  3 day drunken binges should NOT be wasted on the young!! Laughing

Half my life was spent in a drunken stupor... I'm not judging. He said it happens periodically, this post is just after a rough one due to Mardi Gras. He also said he is determined to stop it... but what is the point if there is no problem... perhaps he thinks it is... perhaps there is more to it....perhaps I read too much into it.

Knock your self out... I did.

2012-02-13 7:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

If you find the answer to benders & training, please let me know.

Offseason or once every 2 months isnt going to do too much damage in the grand scheme (unless as mentioned earlier, you have pro aspirations or compete at sports in college). 

Im 26 and getting serious about tri training is a big part of slowing down my drinking.  You just cant get the same results.  The problem lies with the effect excessive alcohol has on your body's ability recover as well as skipped/poor workouts due to hangovers.

2012-02-13 8:54 PM

User image

Your overall health, saftey, saftey of others, your job, family, and friends should all be a higher priority.  I agree that at age 23, it's okay to party it up...so long as you show some resemblence of responsibility.  But as far as the dangers and problems that can come from binge drinking...IM training should be on the bottom of your list of things you're affraid of screwing up.

And at age 23...if you're honestly handling yourself responsibly...then you shouldn't be impacting your IM training that much.  At that age...I could put away a 12 pack 3 consecutive days and wake up (on 2-4 hours of sleep) to play golf, basketball, and lift weights.  But for me...a 12 pack in 3 consectutive days was me being "somewhat responsible" as long as I wasn't driving.  Give me 15 beers and 6 shots on 3 consecutive days and that would be a different story...the problems I would be having would likely be far more than "did I get good training today"?  It would likely be...did I do anything that could have gotten me arrested, did I go into work the next day, or did I say something stupid that hurt a friendship/relationship.

Just my 2 cents

2012-02-13 9:02 PM
in reply to: #4045931

User image

Pro
tri808 - 2012-02-13 8:54 PM

But for me...a 12 pack in 3 consectutive days was me being "somewhat responsible" as long as I wasn't driving. 

You know, I agree.....but I'm NEVER giving my son that advice.

2012-02-13 10:21 PM
in reply to: #4044510

User image

Regular
Tucson,AZ,USA,Earth,Orion Arm,Milky Way Galaxy
powerman - 2012-02-13 10:39 AM

Half my life was spent in a drunken stupor... I'm not judging. He said it happens periodically, this post is just after a rough one due to Mardi Gras. He also said he is determined to stop it... but what is the point if there is no problem... perhaps he thinks it is... perhaps there is more to it....perhaps I read too much into it.

Knock your self out... I did.

My story as well.

Booze is by and large a slightly more toxic form of junk food for most people.  A beer/wine here and there is no different in many ways than a piece of chocolate cake every now and then.  This applies to triathlon and all else in life. 

But binge drinking is a different animal.  The health consequences are far more serious.  And if I were eating a whole bag of Oreos or an entire chocolate cake every so often, a reasonable thing would be to ask why, and whether or not it constitutes a problem that needs to be addressed by means other than sucking it up and cutting the crap.

Same thing applies with booze.  If you can't moderate or stop excessive drinking, triathlon performance will be the least of your worries.  It may serve as a useful "canary in the coal mine," but only if you pay attention to the warning.  If, when you try, you cannot control when you drink, the quantity that you drink or how you behave when you do so, you are likely an alcoholic.  I speak to this both as a medical professional and from personal experience--it's been 25 years since I've had alcohol, for good reason. 

The fact that you bring this up indicates that you're concerned.  Hang it up for keeps.  It isn't helping you.

2012-02-13 10:50 PM

Expert

Thanks all.  I think the problem for me lies in the recovery from it rather than the bender itself.  I am much more serious about my career and training than I am about the benefit i get out of a bender.  Truth is, I still can't realize what I get out of it...it just happens.  Fun while it lasts, pretty terrible when it ends.  

I think the biggest harm is that you can't just "snap" back in to it like you could if you skipped a workout because you were tired.  It is very hard to get back to that level.  I am pretty sure this is far worse than regular drinking.  You can put down a decent hangover workout...tried to run an 8 min field test today, different story.   I feel like a completely unhealthy person.  After a really bad 4 days, everything just hurts...like the body is withering away.  Really makes you wonder how some people live this way (drinking, terrible food, no exercise) 24/7/365.

I guess it's all relative in thinking about what's important to you.  Yes, being young it's easier, but things like IM are pretty special too.   An order of priorities, but I really do wonder how many great triathletes will have nights/weekends/weeks like this.  Think about other sports...the cases do exist for sure.  I think my take-away is that if I'm going to do this, which i probably will, I ought to keep it out of tri season.

2012-02-13 10:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Im 35 and know my weekends with drinking beers with my neighbors is what is preventing from getting to my "goal race weight" (that and Doritos...but I digress). The time I get with my friends simply is more important than the few pounds I could lose. Maybe that will change if I get more serious about this. For now, I will train as hard as I can, and enjoy my life otherwise.
2012-02-13 10:54 PM

User image

Pro

You're learning, JG....enjoy it. 

You've paved no new ground nor traveled any new roads. Laughing

Edited by Left Brain 2012-02-13 10:55 PM
2012-02-13 11:25 PM

User image

Regular
Westfield, IN

In college we call that Thursday-Saturday and train through it. haha. 

Seriously though, it definitely sets back your training and I would definitely avoid it during/near the racing season. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Drinker thread follow up...benders? Rss Feed  

of 3