General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Drinker thread follow up...benders? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-02-15 12:59 PM
in reply to: #4048094

User image

Veteran
SE TX
Subject: RE: Drinker thread follow up...benders?
JG_GreenCoast - 2012-02-14 9:31 PM

The triathletes here are a comparatively very healthy bunch but even then they get wasted, many proudly say that this is why they train so hard.  The question "why" really comes back full circle for me...working 60+ hrs a week and training i fall into a social slump somewhat where i lose my sense of connection to everything else besides those two things.  Also, I won't lie and say that it's partly about getting laid.

You have boiled it all down in these few sentences. It looks like these things are important to you: your training, your work, your friends, and your libido. Nothing wrong w/the ingredients; it's all about proportions. You can handle as much of any of these things as you want, but not all at the same time. You will have to learn to balance all these things throughout your life, this is normal. Some people can drink and maintain a balance, some can't. The sooner you find out which kind of person you are, the better.

I learned a lot more about life in 20months of tri training than I have in 25+ years of binge drinking. Most triathletes here know what I mean and I don't have to list them. But specific to your situation, I've learned a) easy runs are great for hangovers; b) I can ride a long, long time hung over, but it will hurt a lot more; c) I will not get faster if I drink more than I train; and d) volunteering at races is a great way to meet people.

2012-02-15 1:07 PM
in reply to: #4044040

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-02-15 1:39 PM
in reply to: #4043679

Buttercup

Interesting OP and replies.

On a site whose founder's mission is to promote a healthy Mind, Body, and Spirit, I think the only reply I can make is to say that it sounds like an unhealthy and alarming habit. I think it's great that you are reflecting on your lifestyle and considering positive changes.

Good luck with crafting a life that makes sense to you. That's what growing up is all about.

2012-02-15 2:02 PM

New user
I binge drank and occasionally smoked weed during my ironman training and still managed to go sub 12 hrs. My worst day was falling a sleep on my friends couch after a long drinking & smoking session and getting up 3 hours later to do an 80 mile ride. Yeah, it's not good for you but as long as you make training a habit and partying a luxury you should be fine. Work hard, play hard. 
2012-02-15 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4048094

Pro
JG_GreenCoast - 2012-02-14 10:31 PM

Thanks for all the replies...have been traveling for work and not checking.  I think most of y'all who have been there understand why until something in life really makes you stop, you keep doing this kind of stuff.   It's particularly bad where I live, because binge drinking and drugs is such a big part of many peoples identity.  The triathletes here are a comparatively very healthy bunch but even then they get wasted, many proudly say that this is why they train so hard.  The question "why" really comes back full circle for me...working 60+ hrs a week and training i fall into a social slump somewhat where i lose my sense of connection to everything else besides those two things.  Also, I won't lie and say that it's partly about getting laid.  Mostly it's how my life is set up after college and that I have friends who I care about who do these things too that i enjoy being around.  Compared to the average level of toxins that were in my body at a given time three years ago, i feel like a saint still.

If I am really busy at work and in training i go for long periods of time without a single drink and don't even notice.  I think it's more growing up than a problem per se.  I often have trained hung over / drunk in the ~15 hours per week ballpark, the training and sleep suffer.  And no, Brian, you're not really misinterpreting it but that's more rare. 

What's really weird and I think ultimately why I allow myself (and justify after) one of these every so often is because i have my life together a lot more than my peer group and most people my age in this city. People here start drinking here when they are like 12, and there are very few independent people in their early 20s with good jobs, in shape, etc.  It's a terrible mentality and I think really needs to stop.  I was wondering how many serious triathletes really do this, it seems like none.  Thanks for the great replies and hopefully I can start phasing in some better things to do at night.  

This is a pretty mature reply. I think you have a pretty good sense of where you'd like to be. And the reality is, partying is fun. Even at my advanced age I still let loose every now and then. It's just done in a more controlled way as it can't interfere with day to day life. Meaning running a business, raising kids, training, etc. So instead of drinking to excess almost every weekend in college it's evolved to maybe once or twice a year, and it's a lot more planned than spontaneous. I have no (current) interest in 'other things' but at one time I was a big city kid growing up in the 70's so I can relate. Tastes change and we evolve. In college I'd be excited about splitting a case of Iron City because it was $7, now I'd rather split an expensive bottle of wine. And I learned this past New Years that it gets really, really hard to run after 4 hours sleep when you're still buzzed. How I ran x-country in college and did what I did is a mystery.Edit: my controversial comment is that I don't regret any those earlier experiences. My kids know about my history and we talk about drugs and alcohol easily with them. I'm not saying it was all good, but there's very little they can ask and not get an honest and experienced answer, and there's not much they can try to BS me on either.

Edited by BrianRunsPhilly 2012-02-15 2:21 PM
2012-02-15 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4046349

Buttercup

mrbbrad - 2012-02-14 9:06 AM

Have fun? Don't worry? What the hell is wrong with you people? Binge drinking is a sign of substance abuse. Do worry.

My thoughts, too.

2012-02-15 2:46 PM

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
Honestly, also, I wonder how the getting sloppy drunk to "get laid" thing is working out for you. A drink or two for a shy person can be super, especially if it is two shy people who have been dating for a while and neither one is making a move.

Sloppy? The best case scenario is being able to hook up with another sloppy person without being a creep and potentially doing something epically stupid. The worst case would be utterly turning every potentially available person off.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Drinker thread follow up...benders? Rss Feed  

of 3