General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open water swim, and foot cramp Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-08 9:15 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Open water swim, and foot cramp
So, I did my first open water swim at the race site today for sunday's race. My new wetsuit was great (maybe a little big but at least I can breathe and get it off), and I did OK with the open water swimming...

BUT...after 20 minutes of swimming (and in deep water) I got the nastiest foot cramp of my life-I had to swim in with one foot kicking, and spent 10 minutes sitting on the beach massaging it before the cramp went away. My big toe was seized up and pointing towards my other toes, and each time I thought the foot relaxed, I could see it cramp again. The pain went all the way up my shin, and the whole foot was cramped up. Any idea why this happened? I drank gatorade before so it shouldn't be electrolytes. I'm just really scared it's going to happen again at the race, and I can't afford to lose 15 minutes letting it loosen up.

Any suggestions??

2004-06-08 9:43 PM
in reply to: #30142

User image

NW Suburbs of Chicago
Subject: RE: Open water swim, and foot cramp
Cramps happen to me in the pool when I am doing a stroke that I am not used to doing very often.
I can swim without cramps during the freestyle sets, but bring on the breast stroke and associated non-traditional frog-leg kick, and I am stopping about every 20 yards to stretch it out. The coaches just tell me to keep on stretching.....

Perhaps you were kicking your legs using a slightly different muscle due to the wetsuit? Just a guess.....

Keep on stretching!

2004-06-08 11:01 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Roscoe, IL.
I haven't tried this for swimming cramps yet but your question has sparked an idea. For nightime leg cramps I take an RDA dose of calcium, magnesium, and zinc. As long as I take this right before bed I never have a cramp. I'm going to try the combination before my next long swim in a day or two. Every other long swim has ended prematurely due to cramps in muscles I never knew I had. I'll let you know what happens.
2004-06-09 8:54 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
Foot cramps just happen and they can be brutal. I don't know if this is true or just an old husband's tale, but swimmers SAY that it's because all day long your foot pushes against the ground. Even in the pool, you push against the wall every once in a while, or you can stop and push against the floor of the pool to relieve the cramp. WHen you're swimming, though, your foot isn't really pushing in ways that it's accustomed to -and it rebels.

I know that I've had fewer cramps the more I swim. But I've also increased my potassium -eating a banana before my swim workout seems to have helped. But that's prevention.

Once the cramp has started, I don't know what to do except roll over onto your back and flex and point to stretch your foot as best you can until it stops or you can get out of the water and really stretch it. I'll be reading this thread with interest to see if there are better ideas out there.

Andrea

Edited by Andrea 2004-06-09 8:56 AM
2004-06-09 8:57 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
And now that I think about it, cramps are sometimes caused by dehydration, too. I know that in biking and running I'm careful to drink enough. With swimming, less so. Maybe that's it.

Andrea
2004-06-09 9:14 AM

User image

Elite
New City, New York
I agree w/ Andrea advice on bananas. A gret source of potassium, known to prevent cramps. Plus I'm sure eating say two the day before and 1 w/ your breakfast won't shock your system. I'd be careful taking vitamins or other supplements for the first time on race day. Good luck, Mark

2004-06-09 12:19 PM

User image

Expert
MD
I swim often in pools with a Masters team and I rarely get foot cramps, unless my leg muscles are over-stressed from lots of biking and running and I'm pushing off the wall on my turns with greater-than-usual force (trying to race the guy in the next lane or something).

However, I put on a wetsuit and go for a long open water swim and my feet tend to cramp very easily. I think it's a combination of the following things:

1. The wetsuit lets my legs get lazy, I don't need to kick so much to keep them afloat so they're just along for the ride
2. The position of my legs is different from a non-wetsuit swim, and I find that I tend to tense up my leg muscles for some reason
3. Without flip turns, the legs are locked into the same position for a much longer time period, there's no stretch or movement that normally comes with a flip turn. This can translate into cramps, especially when the body becomes fatigued.

Keep your legs in a relaxed state when you're in the water. I've learned to recognize when the cramps are about to come on and by relaxing my legs (if they are tense) and flexing my feet and legs I can usually prevent a full-blown cramp. A few times I've actually stopped and stretched on the swim.

Prevention techniquest would include stretching, resting, and nutrition. Stretch out LOTS before and after swimming long open water. A lot of swimmers do a great job stretching the arms, triceps, lats, and back muscles but pay little attention to the legs, especially the lower legs, ankles, and feet. Make sure your legs are well-rested before a long ow swim. And find out what foods help you stave off cramps (banannas are an old standy-by here). Swim hydrated, drink before you enter the water.

2004-06-09 1:37 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Thanks!
Thanks everyone for the suggestions-I will definately stretch and eat bananas! Hopefully I'll be able to avoid one at the triathlon. You guys were all really, really helpful!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open water swim, and foot cramp Rss Feed