Overcast
Total Time = 33h 18m
Overall Rank = 137/420
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/21
Pre-race routine:

ate oatmeal and had coffee, then drank some water and G2 on the way to the race
Event warmup:

ran for maybe 10 minutes doing a few dynamic warm up moves and a couple pick ups, but I think I did this too early. Should have waited and gone with Steve when he did his.
Run
  • 33m 17s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, I did it again. I'd read an article about pacing to go out 5-10 seconds faster than pace mile 1, hold pace for miles 2,3, then 5-10 under pace last mile. Mile 1, check, mile 2, a tad faster than pace, Mile 3 nope, not even close, Mile 4, hanging on. :-/

I also used the virtual pacer feature on the watch set for 8:10's, and that helped a bit, but clearly not enough as I didn't hold my paces correctly.
What would you do differently?:

I didn't realize where I was on the course...didn't see the mile 2 marker nor hear the beep/vibrate from the watch. I moved the screen on the watch at the mile 3 marker and was surprised to see my pace (8:30) and the data was indeed 3 miles. I tried to pick it up, but I guess I didn't have all that much left to give. Scribner was at the finish area and told me later I looked like I was jogging. JOGGING! At the finish. I thought he was just teasing me,but nope. Time to work on leg speed and turnover (still...I try and work on cadence a couple times a week).
Post race
Warm down:

jogged around a bit for about 5 minutes waiting for Loren to finish

What limited your ability to perform faster:

heavy training week, fighting a nasty sore throat and ear infection, inability to pace correctly. Considering those factors, and that I was only 15 seconds off last years race in much warmer conditions I'll take it. This is my first hard stand alone run since May...time for improvements!

Event comments:

I loved seeing so many friends at the race! Through Steve and Dave, I've met so many wonderful folks from this area. And I got to see Rottie, Two Hearted, Coop, Smoak and Gdog! The kicker was I ran into Brian's math teacher(THS track and cross country coach) and our neighbor Devon! :)

Of course, I love racing with my boys Dave and Steve, the wonderful Nell, and Steves sassy Dad Loren. Lots of fun! The ag awards are cool beer glasses with chocolate kisses in them, they give a lot of goodies away to racers, and this year Michigan Runner took our pictures and we might get on the web or in a paper. LOL!

Last updated: 2012-02-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:33:17 | 04 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/21
Overall: 137/420
Performance: Average
7:58 avr hr 173 8:08 avr hr 173 8:30 avg hr 170 8:20 avg hr 173
Course: flat with 14 mph wind at mile 3
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good