General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to choose an iron distance race? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-13 9:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelmsford, MA
Subject: How to choose an iron distance race?
I've decided that I would like to complete an iron distance triathlon as a personal challenge. I'm 38 and my mental goal is to complete one at age 40 which will give me until November 2014 (when I turn 41). I feel like I probably could complete one by the time I turn 40 (November 2013).

My question is, how should I choose which to do? I suspect even getting entry into some would be a problem so I don't want to set my sites on something that isn't reasonably attainable.

Any thoughts for how to approach this question?

2012-02-13 10:35 AM
in reply to: #4044251

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: How to choose an iron distance race?

Here are a couple things to consider:

-Do you want to do an Ironman branded event?

There are 140.6 distance races in addition to  the Ironman brand. These are usually smaller venues but very well run. Some say do an IM branded event for your first one, this is all up to you. IM events are more expensive to enter (around $700), non branded events are cheaper ($200-$400).

-What kind of course, conditions, or location would you prefer?

The IM Arizona course is very different from St. George. Conditions vary between the two. St. George is know for it's climbing, Arizona is pretty flat. Some venues are known for warmer humid conditions, others are cooler and dry.

-How much do you want to spend getting there?

Your info says that you are in MA. Traveling to eastern races may be cheaper compared to coming out west. Also, factor in if you will be traveling with family and the cost to house everyone. Some venues have cheaper housing options. Lake Placid and CDA have more limited housing options so the costs may be higher than Tempe AZ and FL. If money isn't an issue you might consider an international race.

-What are your racing strengths?

Are you a weaker swimmer? Some courses are wetsuit legal, others are not. Some are current aided. Are you a strong climber? Maybe Ironman Canada or Lake Placid will suit you. Ask these questions.

-Do you want to make a vacation of the trip?

There are venues all over the world, if you plan to extend the trip and vacation consider picking a venue you actually would want to spent more time exploring.

Most branded events require signing up a year in advance, if you're considering a 2013 race date be prepared to make up you mind fairly soon as the US circut starts this spring. When it comes to signing up you may want to actually go the year before and volunteer (factor in additional costs) or plan to have your credit card ready to go when spots become available (as many races sell out in minutes).

Edited by jezzieswims 2012-02-13 10:38 AM
2012-02-13 10:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelmsford, MA
These are exactly the type of questions I need to think through, so thanks!

-Do you want to do an Ironman branded event?
The brand is not important. What matters to me is a well run event of the proper distance with good support.

-What kind of course, conditions, or location would you prefer?
I am a very heavy sweater and my poorest performances are in races over 65-70 with any sort of humidity. Anything over 75-80 and my fluid intake needs start causing issues. I am heavy right now which exacerbates this but even at a healthy BMI heat/humidity has caused issues. Perfect weather for me would be 45 to 50 degrees and dry.

-What are your racing strengths?
I tend to be MOP in all 3 disciplines. I have tended to be a stronger biker than runner in terms of race performance finishing towards front MOP on the bike and back MOP on the run. I tend to have an engine that just goes (slowly) forever if I can maintain nutrition and cooling without stomach issues.

-How much do you want to spend getting there?
-Do you want to make a vacation of the trip?
I can't really say money isn't an object but it certainly is not a primary concern. These questions did make me remember I tend to stress over logistics so I think I would strongly prefer a race I could drive to until I get comfortable travelling with bike and other gear. I have family in Indiana and Florida and I live in Massachusetts so pretty much anything east of the Mississippi is doable with preferences being near family.

2012-02-13 11:03 AM

User image

Elite
N Carolina

Sounds to me like you may want to consider IM Florida for an Ironman brand event or look into Beach 2 Battleship for a non-Ironman brand race.

Full Disclosure:  I have not raced either of these events, but I have done an IM brand race and was very pleased with my experience.

2012-02-13 11:10 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
"45 to 50 degrees and dry" ?? Good luck on that one!

We're talking an event where even the elitist of the elite athletes aren't finishing till mid afternoon. Unfortunately, there's no way around it. You'll be racing in the afternoon sun. If you want cooler temps, then you'd be starting in water with icebergs floating by.

40 is just a number. Don't rush it. My recommendation would be to sign up for a few half-ironman races, and then decide. It'll help you figure out if you want to head north or south, Ironman brand or not, flat or hilly.

Think also about when you'll be training. Do you want to train thru the hot summer months? On the trainer/treadmill during the cold snowy winter months? When you race is going to limit your options for you.

And yes, to do Ironman branded race, you have to register a year in advance. I actually would suggest Lake Placid since it's nearest to you. Volunteer this year - get a feel for it - and then you get first dibs on registration for the following year.
2012-02-13 11:22 AM
in reply to: #4044588

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelmsford, MA
runnerx - 2012-02-13 12:10 PM

"45 to 50 degrees and dry" ?? Good luck on that one!

We're talking an event where even the elitist of the elite athletes aren't finishing till mid afternoon. Unfortunately, there's no way around it. You'll be racing in the afternoon sun. If you want cooler temps, then you'd be starting in water with icebergs floating by.

40 is just a number. Don't rush it. My recommendation would be to sign up for a few half-ironman races, and then decide. It'll help you figure out if you want to head north or south, Ironman brand or not, flat or hilly.

Think also about when you'll be training. Do you want to train thru the hot summer months? On the trainer/treadmill during the cold snowy winter months? When you race is going to limit your options for you.

And yes, to do Ironman branded race, you have to register a year in advance. I actually would suggest Lake Placid since it's nearest to you. Volunteer this year - get a feel for it - and then you get first dibs on registration for the following year.

re: 45 to 50 - A man can dream, can't he? I mostly say this in comparison to my petite marathoning wife who seems to love and thrive at 75-85 and only require 10-12 oz/hour of fluids.

re: 40 - I know it's just a number but it's a decent arbitrary number that gives me something to work towards. It is not so far in the future that it seems I will never get there. It also isn't so close that I will be more likely to injure myself training.

re: time of year to train - Winter has been rough on me in the past and I can't imagine all that biking on the trainer although if I start training for a race 2 years in the future I'll be riding next winter anyhow. I don't think it should be the deciding factor but I would prefer to do the bulk of my focuses training in the spring/summer.

I do like the idea of volunteering. I hear Lake Placid is beautiful (if a little hilly).

2012-02-13 11:53 AM

Master
, California

Heat is always a possibility in the afternoon, but humidity doesn't have to be.  West will get you drier conditions.  That'd be CdA, St. George, Canada, Arizona and Bend if it gets added.

I haven't done Lake Placid but from what I remember of NY, there's quite a bit of humidity in the summer.  It's a toss up on how warm it will be, though.

2012-02-13 12:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelmsford, MA
http://enduranceworks.net/blog/217-choosing-ironman-race

Seems to make me think about some of the same things. Still interested in people's opinions of individual races that fit my general criteria although I will do some poking on my own, too.

I forgot about Rev3 in Sandusky, OH. I have family in Toledo, OH which is about an hour from the race site and could be perfect. Ohio in September could be hot and humid or it could be cool and dry, but one thing I do know, it is flat
2012-02-13 1:41 PM
in reply to: #4044623

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Beej - 2012-02-13 12:22 PM

I don't think it should be the deciding factor but I would prefer to do the bulk of my focuses training in the spring/summer.

Actually, this would be one of my primary factors.  The training is FAR more important than the nature of the course or the (expected) weather, in most cases.  Taking that into account, it makes any IM much earlier than LP a challenge.  Of course, this also likley puts you in a window where weather is likely to be on the hotter side.  Perhaps something late Sept, like Chesapeakeman is worth considering.  LP is beautiful.  It's going to be one of the easier ones for you to get to (which is nice).  It will be expensive as LP boosts rates during IM week and most hotels impose minimum stays.

2012-02-13 2:55 PM
in reply to: #4045040

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelmsford, MA
Given what people have said to consider and what I've read my candidate list based on 2012 tris I can find looks like this in rough order of desirability:
Great Floridian (Oct '12) (Closest to my best support team)
Rev3 Cedar Point (Sep '12)(Closest to my other best support team)
ChesapekeMan (Sep '12)(Closest to a decent friend base of operations)

The rest of these are a bit far from my support base and would require more logistics.
Beach2Battleship (Oct '12)
Ironman Florida (Nov '12)
Ironman Lousiville (Aug '12)
Michigan Titanium (Aug '12)

If I wanted to do one of these in 2013 I would put a HIM on my schedule for later this year (preferably before August so I know where I am 1 year out when signups open) and use this season/winter to be the base for a full ironman program starting next Spring.

What am I missing... other than a whole lot of training
2012-02-13 8:41 PM
in reply to: #4045260

New user
We would love to have you join us! Let me know if you have any questions.CharlieWww.rev3tri.com

2012-02-13 10:03 PM
in reply to: #4045260

Veteran

Beej - 2012-02-13 2:55 PM Given what people have said to consider and what I've read my candidate list based on 2012 tris I can find looks like this in rough order of desirability: Great Floridian (Oct '12) (Closest to my best support team) Rev3 Cedar Point (Sep '12)(Closest to my other best support team) ChesapekeMan (Sep '12)(Closest to a decent friend base of operations) The rest of these are a bit far from my support base and would require more logistics. Beach2Battleship )

Out of these 3 races, I would definatly choose rev 3.  I did it last year and loved it.  Cool water highs in the low 70's.  No humidity flat course, great rest areas and community support 1/2 Im going on at the same time gives the race an even biger feel.  Great floridian is a good race but few participants and you will feel alone at times.  I admire them for sticking through IM florida  moving in their backyard though.  These were the two I Narrowed it down to because I do not like heat and I don't regret my choice.

Good Luck

2012-02-14 11:42 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Based on your adversion to heat, I'd rule out IM Louisville. And I thought the florida ones were pretty warm and can be windy....but not sure.

I too am anti-heat,...hills concern me alot less than heat/humidity. (of course, i'm signed up for IMNYC, so I get hills AND heat/humidity. )

2012-02-15 9:49 AM

User image

Expert
Brookings South Dakota
Race reports. Read lots of race reports
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to choose an iron distance race? Rss Feed