General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMS Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-14 11:12 AM

User image

New user
Litchfield Park
Subject: IMS Marathon

Is anyone else running this race?  I was planning on doing the Lost Dutchman but won a free entry to IMS.  This will be my first full marathon.  Getting the usual taper week crazies.  What to wear, jacket or not, which shoes, what pace should I try to hold?  Did I do enough speed work? Did I taper enough?  Did I taper too much?  I'm driving myself crazy.

I checked out the course.  Has anyone run this before? Are there any surprises on the course that I should be aware of?  Looks like slight downhill 1% or so for first half and slight uphill second half.  

I know everything will work itself out by race day.  

Lisa

2012-02-16 12:21 PM
in reply to: #4046820

User image

Expert
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: RE: IMS Marathon

I wore compression liner shorts under running shorts and a short sleeve tee shirt and gloves for R&R Arizona 26.2 and was very comfortable. It was similar weather about 48F at start and almost 60 by finish, if I remember. I also stayed warm beforehand in long sleeve sweats ... Use the bag-drop to leave your stuff so you don't chill down before race. I was comfortable at R&R ... saw a lot of people who were over-dressed.

Good luck, have fun.

2012-02-16 7:07 PM

User image

New user
Litchfield Park
Thanks!  I'll see if they have a bag drop.  It's not mentioned on the site.  I'll have to check at the expo.  Otherwise I'll drop my jacket with a friend along the route.  Now just wrestling with pace.  I think I'll probably start off easy and see where I am at the half way point as far as energy and stamina and go from there.  Since it's my first I want to just relax and enjoy the experience.  If I come close to BQ I'll be kicking myself later, oh well.  
2012-02-17 10:02 PM

User image

Veteran
What time does the race start? Is there a volunteers tent to sign up to help out at the race? I know it's a little late but I had surgery a month ago and wasn't sure I was going to be able to volunteer. As it turns out I can if there is something for me to do.
2012-02-18 6:54 AM

User image

New user
Litchfield Park

Full starts at 7am at Verrado.  Half starts at 7:30 at Surprise rec center.  There is a site to volonteer:

http://thearizonamarathon.com/volunteer/    or I'm sure you could stop by the expo today at the Randall McDaniel sports Complex in Avondale.  I know they were looking hard.  I had several people ask me to volunteer but I figured it would be difficult to run and volunteer at the same time.

2012-02-18 11:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Thanks! I'll head out to the Expo today.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMS Marathon Rss Feed