General Discussion Triathlon Talk » plantar wart Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-12 12:41 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama
Subject: plantar wart
Never had one until now. When wearing shoes it`s okay, but in barefoot it hurts alot.
I have a race coming up in one week, do you recommend using that freeze stuff now, or wait until after the race? Or could the dr offer something to get rid of it and have no pain during the race? How the hell did I get this thing in the first place?
Any help would be apprectiated

2006-05-13 1:04 PM
in reply to: #422128

New user
Subject: RE: plantar wart
I had one of those, nasty little(or not so little) things on my heel, I had one while living in Holland, and the doctors don't like using local anesthetic, and proceeded to put liquid nitrogen on it and then scrape it out with some tool, but anyway - it did not go away straight away but fell off after about a month.
Before that i tried planter wart band aids that had some kind of acid in them, home surgery, but none of that worked- only the dodgy doctor, with his liquid nitrogen and tool.

How I got it, no idea - just hope i never get one again

I would wait if I were you, last thing you want is an infection on top of the planter wart, from dirty water etc.
2006-05-13 6:28 PM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC

Pick up some Vitamin B Complex tablets - often labeled "stress tabs" (I have no idea why...) - but, double up the daily dosage, in a week to 10 days, it will turn black, get kinda itchy and then pop off.

Had this happen about 20 years ago and this did the trick. (My mother was somewhat ticked cause she'd had them at one point and went through the whole acid thing w/the docs.) My uncle is a doctor and he said though he didn't understand *why* it worked, he saw no issues with doing the double dosage for a short period of time like that.

2006-05-13 6:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

I have several show up over the past 10-15 years.  I have always been able to get rid of them with the over-the-counter salicylic acid products.  BUT it takes a LONG time (8-12 weeks with some) and a LOT of diligence.  About once a week, I take a scapel blade and scrape off the dead layers of skin on top so the acid can work better.   What I have found personally though, is that if I use the OTC acid in less than a week, I can peel off enough of the wart so that it is flush with the skin and no longer painful.  If it were me, I would start using the wart pads now.

Diane

2006-05-13 8:13 PM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South
my son had these, we used the over the counter wart pads made specifically for plantar warts.  It's basically an adhesive bandage with medication built in and you just wear it.  Took about a month to get rid of.     Compound W makes them.  Look for 'em.   
2006-05-13 8:45 PM

User image

Michigan
This may sound a little sick but I had them on my feet for several years... and lots of them. I routinely went to my Dr., and he would freeze them.... very painful. They would go away and then come back.

Here's the science behind them. The are cause by a virus. They like wet, moist feet... like most athetics who participate in sports. They can spread over the feet (multiply).

When after 2 years of going to my Dr. didn't work, he then sent me a surgeon. What the surgeon told me really surprized me. He said try 50 units of Vitamin A everyday for one month, maybe two. He said Vitamin A in heavy doses makes your skin tougher and makes it harder for these viruses to live.

He said if this didn't work then he would have to do laser surgery. Guess what it worked!!! and I have not had them since this therapy. The surgeon said it works in the majority of the time!!!!!

2006-05-13 8:45 PM

User image

Expert
You probably got it from walking barefoot, like in a locker room or by the pool. So wear shoes to prevent that problem from happening again. Just be aware that they can spread if you are not careful.
I had a case of it back in college. Went to the podiatrist and he gave me some cream to use but it didn't seem to work. They eventually went away on their own.
2006-05-14 11:01 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Cut a square of duct/duck tape and cover it. Leave it on for 6 days. On the 7th, take it off and use an emory board to file down the dead skin cells. Repeat as many weeks as needed.
2006-05-15 7:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Just another suggestion, I had them years ago as well - likely got them from lifeguarding at an indoor pool/not wearing flip flops.

Anyways I had to go to a dermatologist on a monthly basis to get them froze off, which was not showing any results after about 4 or 5 months - if anything I think the irritation made them spread out larger! So the doctor then went to the next level of treatement which is injecting bleomycin into the warts and that is what made them go away - like right away!

So if anyone has problems with "chronic" warts, they might want to try this approach.
2006-05-15 3:07 PM

User image

Regular
Spring Hill, FL
I really am a firm believer of the OTC pads, Dr Scholls worked for me to get rid of a plantar wart that took my whole big toe up. I tried acid, laser, burning, freezing, and seriously the only thing that worked was the OTC. I got the tip from an old timer dermatologist, never had one since. These pads actually take some of the pain away, because they are cushioned also. Well hope this helps, a lot of tips here, but sincerely the majority seem to agree with me and my old timer doctor. God's Speed!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » plantar wart Rss Feed