General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Week 1 marathon build- Pfitz- question about what to do Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-14 7:41 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: Week 1 marathon build- Pfitz- question about what to do

Ok, I'm scheduled to start week 1 of Pfitz's 18/55-75 this coming week.  However, I have Ragnar starting next Friday.  Now it's not like my team is out to win or anything, it's purely a fun run(s) for us but how should I adjust week 1 around this?  Follow it normally up to Friday then do Ragnar and pick up my long run Sunday?  Cut it to 17 weeks knowing I could pick it up in week 2 without much problem?  Something else?

Thank you!

2012-02-14 8:05 PM
in reply to: #4047943

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kingwood, TX
Subject: RE: Week 1 marathon build- Pfitz- question about what to do
thebigb - 2012-02-14 7:41 PM

Ok, I'm scheduled to start week 1 of Pfitz's 18/55-75 this coming week.  However, I have Ragnar starting next Friday.  Now it's not like my team is out to win or anything, it's purely a fun run(s) for us but how should I adjust week 1 around this?  Follow it normally up to Friday then do Ragnar and pick up my long run Sunday?  Cut it to 17 weeks knowing I could pick it up in week 2 without much problem?  Something else?

Thank you!

I had a similar situation doing the Pfitz 18/70 plan in that the first week I had a 50K trail race. The race was on Saturday. I took off Sun and Mon and then picked up on week 2 of the Pfitz plan on Tues - it worked out perfect this way.

Good luck at Ragnar!

2012-02-14 8:32 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

Have fun at Ragnar! I did one of these for the first time last Sept., and it was the best fun I've had racing, ever.

But I'd also recommend to make a bit of space in your plan for Ragnar and for recovery, especially if you've been assigned some of the longer/harder legs on your team. I went into Ragnar with ample HM fitness and what I thought was a reasonable base of miles, but I severely underestimated how much I would be beaten up by 3 race-like efforts (22 miles total) in the space of 20 hours, with barely any sleep, and it took quite a toll on my body, after which I was on the injured list for some weeks. Given the distances that you have already been running, you should be able to dive into the Pfitz 18/55 plan a little late without any adverse effects.

2012-02-14 8:38 PM
in reply to: #4048000

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
colinphillips - 2012-02-14 7:32 PM

Have fun at Ragnar! I did one of these for the first time last Sept., and it was the best fun I've had racing, ever.

But I'd also recommend to make a bit of space in your plan for Ragnar and for recovery, especially if you've been assigned some of the longer/harder legs on your team. I went into Ragnar with ample HM fitness and what I thought was a reasonable base of miles, but I severely underestimated how much I would be beaten up by 3 race-like efforts (22 miles total) in the space of 20 hours, with barely any sleep, and it took quite a toll on my body, after which I was on the injured list for some weeks. Given the distances that you have already been running, you should be able to dive into the Pfitz 18/55 plan a little late without any adverse effects.

Thanks guys.  First Ragnar for me as well and absolutely looking forward to it.  Should be a blast!  

Yeah, I've been assigned to some of the longer/harder legs and may even have to pick up some slack as well.  Think I'll just start week 1 a bit soft and allow a couple days recovery after and then dive right in where I should be with the schedule.  

2012-02-14 8:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Have fun at the relay.  Don't worry about missing some of week one, sixteen weeks is a long time.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Week 1 marathon build- Pfitz- question about what to do Rss Feed