Racing Underground
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 47m 9s
Overall Rank = 160/330
Age Group = 30-34 f
Age Group Rank = 5/28
Pre-race routine:

Up EARLY, drop kids off at the sitter, get to the race with barely enought time to get it together. Ate PB&J and a bananna on the way down. Tried to relax, but I was a little wound up with the rushing around.
Event warmup:

Not enough... Quick lap on the bike to ensure the gears and my legs were running smooth, then did about 3/4 mile jog. This was NOT enough.
Run
  • 25m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out a bit fast with the "real runners" and there were about 6 in that group. After the 1st mile I dropped back to 8th then 10th. I think I finished the first 5k in about 11th (that includes all of the women under 34 though since that's how the wave started.) I felt sluggish after the first mile and couldn't get my head into it!! I was supposed to do this all out for a time and I did go all out, but I just felt like I couldn't get out of my own way. Oh well.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up better, and be ready mentally. I think I was brushing off some cobwebs with this race. I had worked really hard up until a month ago when I got sick and then bogged down with work. Wake up call!
Transition 1
  • 00m 2s
Comments:

Put my helmet on BACKWARDS at first. Also putted around with my h2o bottle to get a dring before I left.

drink from a separate bottle, not the caged one! And also look at my helmet before putting it on :)
Bike
  • 50m
  • 18.5 miles
  • 22.20 mile/hr
Comments:

Definately felt stronger on the bike than I expected considering that I have not been riding enough. Must be these altitude and hills that I train in! I spun quickly at all of the hills and passed people doing it. Never stood up and never got passed. Nice goals... I did play cat and mouse with another woman for a while (she was obviously a biker). My pace was good. I pushed a bit, but never too hard.

Maybe just a touch harder, but I was recovering from my run...
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

I tried to rack my bike backwards at first... again the cobwebs. I did get into my shoes well though and took right off.

pay attention better to the bike and rack.
Run
  • 27m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

The first 1/2 mile was tough. I basically followed someone out of transition and just wanted to pace off her, but I endedup passing her (expecting the cat and mouse like on the bike but she gave up. Amazingly enough, I never got passed on the run! That felt GREAT! Heading out the back loop I felt pretty good until I realized that the turnaround was farther away. I tried to keep a steady pace until the downhill just before the turnaround, then up it for the downhill and maintain that for the last leg. I did, but that last hill hurt a little. at the turn, I also checked my position and knew I needed to keep it up and maybe kick at the end to hold my position and I did!

run faster...
Post race
Warm down:

walk it off and jog a bit. EAT and drink alot

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my head and the last month of sloppy training.

Last updated: 2006-05-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:30 | 03.11 miles | 08m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/28
Overall: 0/330
Performance: Average
Forgot HR monitor and watch, so I was clueless. I will update with splits when they post them!! (I'm guessing for now)
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
T1
Time: 00:02
Overall:
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:50:00 | 18.5 miles | 22.20 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: An out & back with little (verry little) hills over the Damn and then after the back, around the little lollipop at the parking area.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:30 | 03.11 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Similar to the first, but they tricked us by making the first little loop shorter... and the last one longer. There was a decent hill after the turnaround on that back loop. I kept waiting to see it and it seemed far.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-13 4:37 PM

User image

Master
Colorado
Subject: Barking Dog Duathlon

2006-05-13 10:26 PM
in reply to: #422983

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: Barking Dog Duathlon
Yea I would say 5th place sucks for not training the way you  want.  NOT!  Great race and noone passed you on the run.  That is awesome..Good to see you.
2006-05-15 10:10 AM
in reply to: #422983

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Barking Dog Duathlon
Top 5!! Woo hoo! That bike pace was smoking. Congratulations on a great race, especially for not being as trained as you would have liked!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Barking Dog Duathlon Rss Feed