Tampa Races
69F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 37m 18s
Overall Rank = 61/100
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/15
Pre-race routine:

The usual, woke up a couple of hours before the race, got ready to live my house and grabbed a glass of orange juice with a whole with bagel with Nutella. I got to the race site 50 minutes before the start, grabbed my bib, then drank a bottle of Gatorade, and used the restroom.
Event warmup:

Jogged for a little bit and did some slight stretching. Headed to the start line 10 minutes before the start time.
Run
  • 1h 37m 18s
  • 10 miles
  • 09m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I may need to revise my strategy for races like this one. In this case, the main thing I was concerned about was not to go out too fast. In some of my long runs I have noticed that a steady pace is way better than going out fast and then having to slow down significantly in the last few miles. given that the first half mile was on asphalt, my 9:11 for the first mile was dead on perfect. The strategy seems to have been flawed though, since when we hit the single track, I realized that pretty much everyone goes out at a pace they can't sustain, so now I am stuck behind slower people. Passing in these trails is not easy and on top of that it is dangerous. I had to deal with traffic on that second mile, and thus slowed down considerably. Having to deal with traffic during a good part of the race, might also be the reason why I ended up running an extra 0.15 miles.

The rest of the race went pretty smoothly, I felt well throughout the event, and I realized that in that sense, the pacing strategy worked great. I saw many people suffering in the past 2-3 miles. Once I got to the point at which there was one mile left, I kicked it up a bit and with 0.5 miles to go a woman run up to me. I was near the top of what I could give, so I moved slightly to the side and signaled to her that she could pass. The response was "No way, you were ahead of me the whole race, kick it up, let's go!". This race for me was training more than anything, but I thought to myself, OK, I'll try to keep up with her, so I sped up and she started pulling me along. The moment I would slow down a little, she would egg me on. My heart rate at this point was at 98% of max, so I did not have much more to give. When we saw the finish line she was 15 feet in front of me, but she waited, we grabbed hands and crossed together (I step slightly behind, so she would get the finisher spot ahead of me). Thank you to Judy for pushing me and making me give it everything I had in that last 1/2 mile.

After finishing I met with my wife, daughter and dad who were there with me, watched the awards and headed home.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe try to go out faster until hitting the single trails, that way, I would not have to deal with so much traffic.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a little bit, grabbed some Gatorade, corn bread and a couple of cookies. Then when I got home I took a long hot shower and afterwards did some deep stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

In part traffic, in part the fact that I did not want this race to affect my training in the following days, so except for the last 1/2 mile, I did not go as fast as I could. Don't get me wrong, I was not going slow for me either. If I was racing as hard as I could, maybe I could go 15-20 secs per mile faster on average. Not much faster than that.

Event comments:

Nice race, with the typical format of Tamparaces. Everything was on time, we got a nice t-shirt and it was a relaxed atmosphere, with friendly people. I expected a little more from the advertised waffle breakfast, but it was OK.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-01-23 12:00 AM
Running
01:37:18 | 10 miles | 09m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/15
Overall: 61/100
Performance: Good
Miles: 1-9:11 2-10:10 3-9:24 4-9:35 5-9:34 6-9:28 7-9:57 8-9:55 9-9:40 10-9:11 Final 0.15-1:09 Avg HR - 166, Max HR - 180
Course: Started out on asphalt for 1/2 mile or so, then we went into a combination of single and double trails. Not too technical, but there were sections with loose sand and others with an abundance of roots.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes