Lost Dutchman Marathon
48F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 49m 21s
Overall Rank = 257/606
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 22/33
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race site early and parked outside Prospector Park. We looked around the expo and got a Tri t-shirt for J's Havasu event in November. We found a place to sit and I had a Honey Stinger Bar and some G2 while trying to stay warm until it was time to go to the start corral.
Event warmup:

I was cold prior to the start and did some running in place and some jumping jacks to stay warm and get my legs ready for the start. I had a strategy mapped out - settle in for the first mile, establish a solid pace in mile 2 that I could sustain through mile four, and empty the tank during mile 5. I wasn't really sure what to expect on the course - most trail runs I have done are pretty steep, so I was expecting a lot of up and down that might affect me. I told J to expect me to finish anywhere from an hour to an hour and 15 minutes. Hills and poor footing are my worst scenario, so I built in a lot of buffer time for the 11:15 paces I have been running lately in training on flat roads.

A couple of minutes before the start, they made us all move up toward the start line. As I was herded to the 6 minute mile sign, I decided to cherish the fact that it was likely the only race I would ever do where I started in the six minute/mile corral.
Run
  • 49m 21s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 09m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

As the gun went off, I tried to find a comfortable pace for the first mile. It was challenging with the typical jockeying for position on a crowded course, so the pace was erratic. The mile one marker came and went before things began to thin out.

As the trail began to clear a bit, I tried to establish a solid pace. I decided to go by feel and not check my pace, time, or HR until about mile three. I was starting to get hot, but felt like I was moving pretty well. Trying to keep people I had passed behind me likely made me go a little harder. By the time I was well into the third mile and the halfway point, I felt like I was starting to struggle a bit. I might have gone out a little hard, but was still hanging in there. I saw that my shoelace had come untied and knew I would have to stop to re-tie it. Since I was running pretty well, I decided to hold off until I passed the mile three mark.

I passed the mile three mark and stopped to re-tie my shoe. I saw that my HR had drifted to 175, which is really high - almost my estimated max. I was wearing gloves, so I had a lot of trouble working with the shoelace before continuing. I got the lace tied and continued on, but felt a little overheated and out of breath. I needed to get my HR down before picking up the pace again. I slowed down to a brisk walk to collect myself, and after a minute, started again. At the aid station, I took a cup of water and picked the pace back up. Even with the three breaks during the fourth mile, I still held an average pace of 10:52, which was faster than I had expected to be able to go.

I passed the mile four sign and checked my watch. Unless I completely fell apart, I would be able to finish under 55 minutes (11:00/mile pace) and would likely have some cushion beyond that. Since the last mile is on the same path as the first, I knew that it wouldn't be hilly and I could push a little. I made it over a wash or two without breaking stride and began to find a rhythm again. As I hit the grass field, I could see the finish area and decided not to hesitate. I hit the pavement and glanced down - I was closing on 50 minutes but might be able to finish under that (since my clock paused while I was tying my shoe, I wasn't sure exactly how much my watch differed from the official clock). I entered the chute and saw the official clock - I was getting in under 50 minutes (the course was a little short according to my Garmin). I picked up my medal and a water having run better than expected.
What would you do differently?:

Probably should have paced a little better on miles two and three. I kind of hit a wall on mile four and had some trouble getting past it. Even though I was really happy with my overall time, more consistency from start to finish would have been preferable.
Post race
Warm down:

I found J after a few minutes (since I came in sooner than expected, she wasn't expecting to see me), and we headed for the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

General fitness, weight on hills, went out a little too hard on mile 2

Event comments:

Lost Dutchman runs very good events, on time, and you get a lot for your money. The aid stations are well stocked, there are finisher's medals for all distances, and events run smoothly. They also gave long sleeve tech t-shirts for all participants.

Last updated: 2012-02-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:49:21 | 04.97 miles | 09m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/33
Overall: 257/606
Performance: Good
From Garmin: Mile 1 - 11:01 pace 151 Average HR/163 max Mile 2 - 10:12 164/171 Mile 3 - 10:24 171/177 Mile 4 - 10:52 167/173 Mile 5 - 9:48 170/175
Course: Mostly flat dirt/gravel trails through Prospector Park. Gentle inclines and declines with a few washes with some lose gravel and rock. The start finish went over a grassy areas.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-02-21 12:01 PM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Subject: Lost Dutchman 8K

2012-02-21 2:14 PM
in reply to: #4058419

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Subject: RE: Lost Dutchman 8K
Wow nice job Brian!
2012-02-23 3:48 PM
in reply to: #4058419

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Lost Dutchman 8K
Good job.  I think your pacing was right on. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lost Dutchman 8K Rss Feed