General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to run faster (in light of the 180 cadence guideline) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-02-21 1:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: How to run faster (in light of the 180 cadence guideline)
I've been thinking about this lately, and I wanted to draw from the BT wisdom

I have heard Joe Friel (in the tri world) and lots of running folks (in the running world) refer to the principle that you should aim for a cadence of about 180 steps per minute (also referred to as 90 rpm per leg, or whatever). This is stated as being the most efficient and less wasted energy, etc.

So, I am certainly willing to embrace that and train towards 180 steps per minute. But my question is, how do I get there.

Currently, I run at about 10 minute miles. (actually a little faster, but for the sake of this example, let's use round numbers My normal steps per minute, when I am not trying for a high cadence, is about 155-160. Let's assume 160 for the calculation. So, if I run a mile in 10 minutes at 160 steps per minute, that gives me an average stride length of 3.3 feet.

Today on the treadmill as an experiment, I set it on 10:00 pace, and (without the benefit of a footpod) I would try to focus on cadence by trying to get in 3 steps every second or 18 steps every six seconds. The best I could manage was approx 17 every six seconds; So, lets just assume I was around 170 steps per minute average. That would mean that for a 10 minute mile, my average stride length was 3.1 feet. If I could get to that elusive 180 cadence at a 10 minute pace, my stride length would be 2.9 feet.

Observations: When I focused on cadence, and got up around the 170 steps per minute, I felt like I was taking much smaller steps compared to what I am used to. I HAD to take noticeably smaller steps in order to pick em up and put em down that much faster. I am 6'2", so I am used to longer strides. I also noticed less impact. By taking 'more' steps and 'shorter' steps in the same amount of time, it did feel like I was transferring energy more efficiently (even if only slightly). But I was also more fatigued, which I guess would be expected until I make it a habit and train up to the higher cadence.

So my question is, in order to get faster, do I:

A. shorten my stride length and aim for the 180 cadence

or

B. keep my stride length the way it is and just focus on running faster, and my cadence would naturally go up as I got faster?

or

C. you got it all wrong guy, it's this other thing!!

Thanks!! I'm normally a lurker, so I really appreciate all the conversation and tips being passed around on here

Bob

2012-02-21 1:59 PM
in reply to: #4058706

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
Subject: RE: How to run faster (in light of the 180 cadence guideline)

I can't offer you any advice to your dilemma, but can offer sympathy.  I was in the same boat.  If i tried to get to that magical number I just got more and more tired.  I never got as detailed as you to the point of determining my actual stride distance, but I am 6'4", so I have a naturally longer stride, so for me to do 180 steps just felt like crazy feet. 

I gave up trying for that and just focused on taking shorter strides, but focusing on were i land. I moved towards mid foot landing, which became far more efficient.  I took more steps as a result, but have no idea how many per minute I take.  But it is about shortening the stride and quickening the steps.  I could never run at 180/minute so I stopped trying.  It just wore me out. 

2012-02-21 2:06 PM

User image

Runner
180 is just a number. Even among elite runners at various distances, there is no set value that seems to be the "correct" one. On top of that, a person's stride rate can (and usually will) change within a race (or training), depending on fatigue and level of effort.

The best way to get faster is to train: train more often, for longer periods. Your cadence and stride length will naturally fall into something that works well for you.
2012-02-21 2:06 PM
in reply to: #4058718

User image

Pro
RookieIM - 2012-02-21 1:59 PM

But it is about shortening the stride and quickening the steps. 

In the last few months I have began to work on speed after a 2 year base building period.  I have not found the above quote to be true.  I am a natural mid foot striker.  What I had to work on with running drills was the idea of a forward lean.  As I have become better at it, through treadmill "hill work", drills, and practice, my cadence, and hence, my speed, has picked up.  It's A BIT like falling forward as you run....you can't help but take more steps, and your stride does not necessarily shorten....so you get faster.  (truly free speed as my HR does NOT go up)

I'm waaaaaay down on the list of people on this board who you whould take running advice from...but I've paid attention to alot of them and it's made me faster for longer runs.  I'm still getting faster, and with my cadence running about 174-177 I know I have even more speed to get.

It really is all about practice.

Edited by Left Brain 2012-02-21 2:07 PM
2012-02-21 2:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
yeah if you want to get faster. just keep up the mpw and itll happen on your own, everything else is just gravy
2012-02-21 2:41 PM
in reply to: #4058742

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
Left Brain - 2012-02-21 3:06 PM

In the last few months I have began to work on speed after a 2 year base building period.  I have not found the above quote to be true.  I am a natural mid foot striker.  What I had to work on with running drills was the idea of a forward lean.  As I have become better at it, through treadmill "hill work", drills, and practice, my cadence, and hence, my speed, has picked up.  It's A BIT like falling forward as you run....you can't help but take more steps, and your stride does not necessarily shorten....so you get faster.  (truly free speed as my HR does NOT go up)

I'm waaaaaay down on the list of people on this board who you whould take running advice from...but I've paid attention to alot of them and it's made me faster for longer runs.  I'm still getting faster, and with my cadence running about 174-177 I know I have even more speed to get.

You found that not to be true because your speed increased.  If your speed remained the same and your cadence increased, your stride would be shorter.

2012-02-21 2:44 PM
in reply to: #4058739

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Scout7 - 2012-02-21 12:06 PM 180 is just a number. Even among elite runners at various distances, there is no set value that seems to be the "correct" one. On top of that, a person's stride rate can (and usually will) change within a race (or training), depending on fatigue and level of effort. The best way to get faster is to train: train more often, for longer periods. Your cadence and stride length will naturally fall into something that works well for you.

This, plus cadence will change even with a slight variation of terrain/grade.  So unless you are running on a track...

2012-02-21 2:44 PM
in reply to: #4058846

User image

Pro
RookieIM - 2012-02-21 2:41 PM

You found that not to be true because your speed increased.  If your speed remained the same and your cadence increased, your stride would be shorter.

If my speed remained the same when my cadence increased I would be wasting my time.  Why on earth would you want a quicker cadence/shorter stride without getting faster?

2012-02-21 2:45 PM
in reply to: #4058739

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Scout7 - 2012-02-21 4:06 PM

180 is just a number. Even among elite runners at various distances, there is no set value that seems to be the "correct" one. On top of that, a person's stride rate can (and usually will) change within a race (or training), depending on fatigue and level of effort.

The best way to get faster is to train: train more often, for longer periods. Your cadence and stride length will naturally fall into something that works well for you.

X2

Don't chase an arbitrary number - just train more.

Shane
2012-02-21 2:49 PM

User image

Pro
I haven't found the number to be "abitrary".  I agree that it's not written in stone, but having a "number" has helped me focus, so it's not all bad....there has to be a benchmark of sorts.  That being said.....I would attribute most of my gains to just running more, as the running gurus have said.
2012-02-21 2:50 PM
in reply to: #4058857

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Left Brain - 2012-02-21 12:44 PM

If my speed remained the same when my cadence increased I would be wasting my time.  Why on earth would you want a quicker cadence/shorter stride without getting faster?

There IS something to higher cadence.   A low cadence tend to result in overstriding and less efficiency.  A faster cadence usually means more of a midfoot strike.

I work on a faster turnover/midfoot strike, but not hitting a magic number.

Even if I'm not faster, it's easier on my body.

2012-02-21 2:52 PM
in reply to: #4058865

User image

Champion
Left Brain - 2012-02-21 4:49 PM

I haven't found the number to be "abitrary"

So why 180?

Shane
2012-02-21 2:53 PM

User image

Master
Denison Texas

bscoles1 - 2012-02-21 1:54 PM I've been thinking about this lately, and I wanted to draw from the BT wisdom I have heard Joe Friel (in the tri world) and lots of running folks (in the running world) refer to the principle that you should aim for a cadence of about 180 steps per minute (also referred to as 90 rpm per leg, or whatever). This is stated as being the most efficient and less wasted energy, etc. So, I am certainly willing to embrace that and train towards 180 steps per minute. But my question is, how do I get there. Currently, I run at about 10 minute miles. (actually a little faster, but for the sake of this example, let's use round numbers My normal steps per minute, when I am not trying for a high cadence, is about 155-160. Let's assume 160 for the calculation. So, if I run a mile in 10 minutes at 160 steps per minute, that gives me an average stride length of 3.3 feet. Today on the treadmill as an experiment, I set it on 10:00 pace, and (without the benefit of a footpod) I would try to focus on cadence by trying to get in 3 steps every second or 18 steps every six seconds. The best I could manage was approx 17 every six seconds; So, lets just assume I was around 170 steps per minute average. That would mean that for a 10 minute mile, my average stride length was 3.1 feet. If I could get to that elusive 180 cadence at a 10 minute pace, my stride length would be 2.9 feet. Observations: When I focused on cadence, and got up around the 170 steps per minute, I felt like I was taking much smaller steps compared to what I am used to. I HAD to take noticeably smaller steps in order to pick em up and put em down that much faster. I am 6'2", so I am used to longer strides. I also noticed less impact. By taking 'more' steps and 'shorter' steps in the same amount of time, it did feel like I was transferring energy more efficiently (even if only slightly). But I was also more fatigued, which I guess would be expected until I make it a habit and train up to the higher cadence. So my question is, in order to get faster, do I: A. shorten my stride length and aim for the 180 cadence or B. keep my stride length the way it is and just focus on running faster, and my cadence would naturally go up as I got faster? or C. you got it all wrong guy, it's this other thing!! Thanks!! I'm normally a lurker, so I really appreciate all the conversation and tips being passed around on here Bob

I run faster when I am not trying to do a bunch of calculations in my head Like others said, run more-frequency and check back in 60 days or so.

2012-02-21 2:55 PM
in reply to: #4058870

User image

Pro
Kido - 2012-02-21 2:50 PM
Left Brain - 2012-02-21 12:44 PM

There IS something to higher cadence.   A low cadence tend to result in overstriding and less efficiency.  A faster cadence usually means more of a midfoot strike.

I work on a faster turnover/midfoot strike, but not hitting a magic number.

Even if I'm not faster, it's easier on my body.

Maybe the fact that I'm faster with a higher cadence is because I'm already a midfoot striker naturally.  I know there are alot of different body types and running styles.....I'm sure not trying to start an argument.....my experiences are my own.  For me, faster cadence means faster run....more faster cadence means more faster run. Laughing

2012-02-21 2:59 PM
in reply to: #4058876

User image

Pro

gsmacleod - 2012-02-21 2:52 PM
Left Brain - 2012-02-21 4:49 PM I haven't found the number to be "abitrary"
So why 180? Shane

Because it gave me a number to shoot for, and seems to fit well with my running style.  When I started looking for more speed I used the 180 number to see if it would help....I was in the 163-167 range.  I'm now about 10 strides quicker and my speed is falling.  I'm going to stay here for a bit to get somfortable with it, and then I'm going to look for the other half dozen or so and see what that does for me.  I don't find it hard to make the calculations....I'm always looking for something to do on my runs since I don't wear headphones and usually run alone.

2012-02-21 3:06 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
When I moved from massive overstriding heel striker to landing under the center of my gravity, my stride naturally got shorter. With the forward lean that someone mentioned above, cadence gets quicker.

As run fitness improves, my stride re-lengthens behind me instead of in front of me.

So in my case it was
a) move foot stroke to under my body instead of in front (Shortens stride)
b) Practice leaning forward from the ankles rather than the waist (stop "sitting" while I run). (increases cadence)
c) Run more (re-lengthens stride, but behind me as I push off instead of reaching out in front of me)

I find my natural run cadence to be around 95 currently...this is what minimizes force transferring through my skeleton and to my back (causign pain) and instead force is absorbed & then returned via my calf/achilles as I run.

2012-02-21 3:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I run with a metronome set to 180.  When I want to speed up, I take a larger stride.  When I want to slow down, I shorten it.  I attack uphills and downhills with 180.

Some think it is just a number.  I like it because I try to aim for a 90 cadence on the bike.  That way may legs are ready for the turnover when I come off the bike.

2012-02-21 3:09 PM
in reply to: #4058924

User image

Pro

AdventureBear - 2012-02-21 3:06 PM When I moved from massive overstriding heel striker to landing under the center of my gravity, my stride naturally got shorter. With the forward lean that someone mentioned above, cadence gets quicker. As run fitness improves, my stride re-lengthens behind me instead of in front of me. So in my case it was a) move foot stroke to under my body instead of in front (Shortens stride) b) Practice leaning forward from the ankles rather than the waist (stop "sitting" while I run). (increases cadence) c) Run more (re-lengthens stride, but behind me as I push off instead of reaching out in front of me) I find my natural run cadence to be around 95 currently...this is what minimizes force transferring through my skeleton and to my back (causign pain) and instead force is absorbed & then returned via my calf/achilles as I run.

I've been trying to say this (not very well).......thanks.  The forward lean was the BIG thing for me.....as I said above, it naturally followed that my cadence got quicker.

2012-02-21 3:19 PM

User image

Pro
Also....and I WILL argue this point.  Running more does not automatically mean you will get faster.  I know people who run tons of miles and they are the same plodding along runners they have always been.  You have to WANT to get faster, and you have to work at getting faster.  While I would agree that you have to run more to get speed, the other side of that, the idea that you get faster just by running more, is not necessarily true from what I have seen and experienced.
2012-02-21 3:32 PM
in reply to: #4058965

User image

Champion
Left Brain - 2012-02-21 5:19 PM

Also....and I WILL argue this point.  Running more does not automatically mean you will get faster.  I know people who run tons of miles and they are the same plodding along runners they have always been.  You have to WANT to get faster, and you have to work at getting faster.  While I would agree that you have to run more to get speed, the other side of that, the idea that you get faster just by running more, is not necessarily true from what I have seen and experienced.

As far as the 180 being arbitrary - I say that it is an arbitrary target because it is simply an average that Jack Daniels found in a study of elite runners. Not that every runner was at that cadence but rather an average across a large number of runners. So while it may be useful to try to increase cadence, giving 180 as an absolute is by no means definitive.

To your point above, agree. However, what people mean when they say run more is that they need to increase training stress so that there is a progressive overload. Whether one achieves more through volume, intensity or frequency, more is more and if one continually increases their training stress, they will get faster.

Shane
2012-02-21 3:45 PM
in reply to: #4059008

User image

Pro

gsmacleod - 2012-02-21 3:32 PM
Left Brain - 2012-02-21 5:19 PM Also....and I WILL argue this point.  Running more does not automatically mean you will get faster.  I know people who run tons of miles and they are the same plodding along runners they have always been.  You have to WANT to get faster, and you have to work at getting faster.  While I would agree that you have to run more to get speed, the other side of that, the idea that you get faster just by running more, is not necessarily true from what I have seen and experienced.
As far as the 180 being arbitrary - I say that it is an arbitrary target because it is simply an average that Jack Daniels found in a study of elite runners. Not that every runner was at that cadence but rather an average across a large number of runners. So while it may be useful to try to increase cadence, giving 180 as an absolute is by no means definitive. To your point above, agree. However, what people mean when they say run more is that they need to increase training stress so that there is a progressive overload. Whether one achieves more through volume, intensity or frequency, more is more and if one continually increases their training stress, they will get faster. Shane

Shane....first, I appreciate all I have learned from you, Scout, Experior, and others....I've said this before, it's been gold to me as I learn to run long....especially "late" in my athletic career.

I will say this though.....I have seen plenty of runners who increase training stress by running more who do NOT get  faster.  My own uncle has ran over 20 marathons....I bet there is not 10 minutes difference in finish time through any of them.  He is the same 11:50-12:10 per mile runner he has always been....no matter if he's running 60 mpw or 15 mpw.  He just doesn't ever run fast....or in his case, faster. 

2012-02-21 3:48 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
I agree that 180 is not necessarily the right number for everybody. I do sometimes like to experiment with short bursts of either faster or slower cadence. For me at least, being comfortable using a range of turnover rates makes it easier to find the rate that feels best at any given time. If I never tried moving my feet quicker, or slower, I think it would always feel odd to try.

For me, a slower cadence leads to a more 'bounding' stride, sometimes recommended as a drill. Fast feet can help with downhill running and in many other cases too. Run at the cadence that feels good most of the time, but don't be afraid to mix it up.
2012-02-21 3:55 PM
in reply to: #4059039

User image

Runner
"Run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard."

Most people focus on one or two of those three components, and then they hit a point where they stop progressing and wonder why.

Yes, it is true beyond a shadow of a doubt that even if you run a lot of miles, all at the same effort level, then you will hit a plateau and not really progress beyond that, assuming that you're not adding any more miles on top of what you are running.

In my experience, the reason a person is not improving has never down to cadence, stride length, foot strike, or lean. It has always come down to training. Sure, if you're getting injured because you have sloppy mechanics, that obviously is the root cause of your lack of training. But most people seem to have it in their heads that somehow working on running a faster cadence, by itself, will make them faster. What makes you faster is the time you spent running to work on that cadence, the miles, the hours, the work.

If you want to improve your running, you have to run, as much as possible, at a variety of effort levels. Worrying about your cadence or stride length is fine, IF it gets you out the door. But, if focusing on cadence sucks the fun out of your running, then stop doing it.
2012-02-21 4:04 PM
in reply to: #4059070

User image

Pro

Scout7 - 2012-02-21 3:55 PM  Yes, it is true beyond a shadow of a doubt that even if you run a lot of miles, all at the same effort level, then you will hit a plateau and not really progress beyond that, assuming that you're not adding any more miles on top of what you are running. 

I agree with everything you wrote, except that.  My experience....from watching others, is that more miles does not, in and of itself, make for a faster runner.  Like my uncle in my other example, I know plenty of people at the Y where I work out alot who are in the middle of marathon builds.....a large percentage of them are NOT getting faster even though they are adding miles weekly.  My experience is that if you leave out the "sometimes hard" then you will not necessarily get faster just by adding miles.

2012-02-21 4:08 PM
in reply to: #4059070

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to run faster (in light of the 180 cadence guideline) Rss Feed  

of 4