General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to run faster (in light of the 180 cadence guideline) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-02-21 4:10 PM
in reply to: #4059070

User image

Subject: RE: How to run faster (in light of the 180 cadence guideline)

To the original poster...  Here's what I did to get me through my first supported marathon.

I used pace music to start my cadence off at 165 for the first hour.  The second hour was 170, the third 175, the fourth 180.  I trained using pace music depending on how I felt within those ranges to keep my pace up, and I adjusted stride length for terrain, fitness, etc.  It may not be the right way, but it worked for me.

Now that I'm in triathlon, I rarely use music anymore.  My natural cadence has settled between 175 and 185 depending how I feel, but is usually pretty close to 175 in training, 180-185 in racing.

PM me if you'd like my resources for the music.  It makes keeping a cadence pretty brainless.

ETA:  I'm still seeing PR's.  I agree with Left Brain...  I needed to challenge some aspect - whether it's cadence or stride length.  I can't just run lots and expect to get faster.

Edited by ironultrared 2012-02-21 4:17 PM

2012-02-21 4:25 PM
in reply to: #4058706

User image

San Diego, CA

Run where you are comfortable!  With that said, like others mentioned you should be trying to land on the mid/forefoot with your feet directly under you center.  It will prevent the "braking" caused by a longer stride with a heel strike. 

Like you, I'm 6'2" and at first those tiny strides felt really weird! However I continued working on speeding up my cadence (I really have no idea what it is) and now I can sustain a faster pace for much longer.  Maybe this is due to more running but I can tell  you one thing for certain; I don't hurt as much as I used to after any given run.  No more calf/shin/knee/hip pain at any distance or exertion level. To me that is way more valuable than any time gains I have achieved!

2012-02-21 5:48 PM
in reply to: #4059133

User image

Elite
ironultrared - 2012-02-21 3:10 PM

PM me if you'd like my resources for the music.  It makes keeping a cadence pretty brainless.

Care to share?

I'm not trying to "change", but I have been paying attention for a number of reasons. My natural cadence seems to be 170. I'm OK with that as long as I am mindful to keep my feet under me and light on my feet. I would be curious what different beats felt like since all I do now is just count for 30 sec or a minute.

2012-02-21 7:54 PM
in reply to: #4059347

User image

I don't have an ipod, but I've heard that there a an app or plugin for itunes that allows you to sort your music by beats per minute. This might be a resource for some out there. My personal favorite, though, is podrunner (I have no affiliation with him). The mixes aren't everyone's style, but I enjoy them. They're free, and he has steady beat mixes from 130-185 (I think he may have some slower ones out now) and he has some interval mixes out. http://www.djsteveboy.com/podrunner.html http://www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.htm
2012-02-21 8:32 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

"How to run faster" -- I'm with Scout, Shane, and others -- run more, wisely.

A few comments about the 180 thing:

* as someone said, this number was found to be the mean of elites during races of various distances -- however, it's worth noting that the standard deviation is pretty low.  Still, it's worth considering whether this is a case of "Should we do as the elites do?".

* JD has said (for example, on letsrun.com but also other places) that when elites run slower or faster than race pace, their cadence DOES change, but not linearly with the change in pace.  In short:  cadence changes less than pace.  So obviously a change in pace (among elites) is accomplished (according to JD) more by change in stride length than by change in cadence, though both are involved.

* For some people whose cadence is significantly below 180, it could make sense to aim for higher cadence, as doing so can be an effective way to prevent over-striding (not heel-striking...over-striding).  Overall height as well as leg length can be a factor here.

* JD has suggested (reasonably) that, all other things being equal, lower cadence implies higher impact forces.  I think that the truth is more complicated than that, but as a first approximation, it's a pretty good explanation of why quicker turnover (i.e., higher cadence) can be helpful for some people.

Edited by Experior 2012-02-21 8:33 PM
2012-02-21 8:42 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario

I'm always leery of trying to copy a running style based on someone else, or a book.  Yes, there are some key errors to avoid so you don't get hurt but to me it just seems wrong to try to precisely copy some other runner who may be physiologically different than you.

2012-02-21 9:07 PM

User image

Pro

Increasing your cadence to 180 doesn't inherently make you a faster runner.

Based on my personal experience n=1, it took my major heel strike stride, which gave me no end of injuries, and toned down the injuries to the point where I could run regularly, increase the mileage, and that... increased my speed.

Oh- a metronome would drive me nuts.  I run to music at 180bpm.  Makes it fun and easy. check out Jog.fm

2012-02-21 9:49 PM

User image

Elite
Thanks for the suggestions for tunes guys. I'm going to check them out just because.
2012-02-21 10:05 PM
in reply to: #4059588

User image

Pro
morey000 - 2012-02-21 9:07 PM

Based on my personal experience n=1, it took my major heel strike stride, which gave me no end of injuries, and toned down the injuries to the point where I could run regularly, increase the mileage, and that... increased my speed.

I'm not a heel striker...never have been.  In fact, my real running background was as a miler in which I ran mostly on my forefoot. (now 30 years ago)  As a midfoot striking "distance runner" cadence is all about speed for me.  I'm still experimenting.  I'm a very patient runner.  I have found, without a doubt, that quicker cadence means faster miles...and the quicker cadence was easier to develope once I started a good forward lean.

I'll not argue with anything the running heavies on this site have to offer....it's just too good.

That being said....nobody can tell me that faster cadence doesn't inherently equal faster miles for my n=1.

I'll be a happy runner when I can do 13.1 in sub 8 splits....I figure on another year.... if age doesn't get me first.

2012-02-21 10:25 PM
in reply to: #4059655

User image

Elite
Left Brain - 2012-02-21 9:05 PM
morey000 - 2012-02-21 9:07 PM

I'm not a heel striker...never have been.  In fact, my real running background was as a miler in which I ran mostly on my forefoot. (now 30 years ago)  As a midfoot striking "distance runner" cadence is all about speed for me.  I'm still experimenting.  I'm a very patient runner.  I have found, without a doubt, that quicker cadence means faster miles...and the quicker cadence was easier to develope once I started a good forward lean.

I'll not argue with anything the running heavies on this site have to offer....it's just too good.

That being said....nobody can tell me that faster cadence doesn't inherently equal faster miles for my n=1.

I'll be a happy runner when I can do 13.1 in sub 8 splits....I figure on another year.... if age doesn't get me first.

Now that I'm getting back to running, and paying attention to what I'm doing... I was checking my cadence from time to time... 170 at 9:00m/m... 170 at 10:00 m/m. Not that that is a big speed change, or that I'm even disagreeing with what you said. I just thought it interesting.

And I guess I should say I'm not a "natural" 170 bpm runner. 170 is not at all uncomfortable and I do it if I think about my cadence. I naturally do 90 rpm on the bike and I figured that had something to do with it.

Still trying to get the feel for the whole "ankle lean".  I think I lean at the waste too much and I have been concentrating on head up chest open for now which gets me upright.

2012-02-21 10:26 PM

Master
Northern IL
Left Brain, have you asked about whether things like strides or various levels of a progression run are considered hard or easy? Not everyone may (I'm sure there is more I'm not naming too). Some consider anything above easy, everyday/recovery pace hard. For others it will have to at least approach threshold to be hard. I do agree that running more of the same slow & easy every single run will likely plateau for someone in spite of increased mileage (like in your example), but that might not be what the guys mean by easy running. I do believe there are variations to running that they could tell you that they would still consider "easy".

2012-02-21 10:58 PM
in reply to: #4059655

User image

Pro
Left Brain - 2012-02-21 8:05 PM

...I'm not a heel striker...never have been.  ...

well, we're all different.  I'd never suggest that one solution should work for every person. 

I've played with it on the treadmill.  my HR and intensity doesn't change when I maintain a constant speed and change my cadence (165-185).  Also, it doesn't matter what speed I'm trying to run (unless I'm near sprint pick-ups), I run at the same cadence.   So, for me, cadence doesn't affect speed directly, but taking smaller, faster steps is easier on the body and allows me to run more.

2012-02-21 11:04 PM
in reply to: #4059681

User image

Pro

brigby1 - 2012-02-21 10:26 PM Left Brain, have you asked about whether things like strides or various levels of a progression run are considered hard or easy? Not everyone may (I'm sure there is more I'm not naming too). Some consider anything above easy, everyday/recovery pace hard. For others it will have to at least approach threshold to be hard. I do agree that running more of the same slow & easy every single run will likely plateau for someone in spite of increased mileage (like in your example), but that might not be what the guys mean by easy running. I do believe there are variations to running that they could tell you that they would still consider "easy".

Oh, I get that.  And I understand your point.  In fact, I'm pretty sure I fit that category as I've not even approached a "threshold run", and have no plans to do that for my training or in the marathon I'm working toward on 4/15.  Like I said, I'm very patient.  Still.....my experience is that you have to "run fast"....whatever that means for you, to "get fast" (also whatever that means for you).  To say that you will get to where you want, speed-wise, by just running longer, or more, has NOT been my experience.  While I can easily see the "added stress means faster over time"....I have not seen that purely added miles equals the stress for more speed in every instance. That HAS to come with running faster SOMETIMES.  Again, I can only comment on what I've seen and experienced.

Then again, as I've said all along, I'm a work in progress.  Unless the wheels fall off, which doesn't appear likely judging from how I feel, I'll reach 175 miles this month (a personal best), and all thanks goes to the people on this board I've already mentioned....and a couple I'm sure I forgot...so I'm not too willing to buck the collective knowledge....still, I know what I've seen from some people who increase their mileage but NEVER increase their speed and wonder why they don't get faster.

Edited by Left Brain 2012-02-21 11:11 PM
2012-02-22 6:31 AM
in reply to: #4059709

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Left Brain - 2012-02-22 1:04 AM

Still.....my experience is that you have to "run fast"....whatever that means for you, to "get fast" (also whatever that means for you).  To say that you will get to where you want, speed-wise, by just running longer, or more, has NOT been my experience.  While I can easily see the "added stress means faster over time"....I have not seen that purely added miles equals the stress for more speed in every instance. That HAS to come with running faster SOMETIMES.

It would depend on what one views as sometimes; it is quite possible to get faster with lots of easy running and then just running faster on race day. However, once one has some experience with running, adding more miles will result in less and less return since the body is adapted to that training stress and just doing more easy running doesn't change the training stress much.

When it comes to improvement, the key is consistency and then progressive overload; the trick is how to manage the progressive overload for a given athlete based on their life, previous training and goals.

However, for the majority of athletes posting here, the answer is to run more; add frequency (this is lacking in many novice runners), add volume (while keeping the long run in check - for me this means <30% of weekly volume) and then, once you've done this consistently for a while, thinking about adding some more structured harder running to the mix.

Shane
2012-02-22 7:02 AM
in reply to: #4059112

User image

Runner
Left Brain - 2012-02-21 5:04 PM

Scout7 - 2012-02-21 3:55 PM  Yes, it is true beyond a shadow of a doubt that even if you run a lot of miles, all at the same effort level, then you will hit a plateau and not really progress beyond that, assuming that you're not adding any more miles on top of what you are running. 

I agree with everything you wrote, except that.  My experience....from watching others, is that more miles does not, in and of itself, make for a faster runner.  Like my uncle in my other example, I know plenty of people at the Y where I work out alot who are in the middle of marathon builds.....a large percentage of them are NOT getting faster even though they are adding miles weekly.  My experience is that if you leave out the "sometimes hard" then you will not necessarily get faster just by adding miles.

First, we are in agreement. Generally speaking, there will come a point where you hit diminishing returns, and the number of miles needed to see improvement is so large that it is beyond the realm of practicality. In other words, yes, there is a point where more miles is not an answer to getting faster, and you absolutely should be including varying efforts.

My model is simplistic, and makes certain assumptions as well, foremost among them that a person who wants to improve will put forth maximal effort during a race, and uses races as the primary barometer to measure performance gains.

If we take a person who is not interested in racing, but simply in going out and having a good time, then "performance" is measured differently; I would look at changes in recovery time and overall ability to finish the race while feeling good.

Sometimes the person is simply not good at racing. I have seen this a lot, and it usually stems from a fear of something (failure, bonking, whatever). I've seen runners who can lay down 100+ miles per week consistently that couldn't race a 5K to save their lives. They suck at short-course racing. I've seen people who can destroy the 5K, but freak out at the marathon distance, because they are afraid of hitting the wall.

All of this is a long way of saying that, in the end, there is always more to faster times than simply running more miles, and I wouldn't pretend to believe otherwise.
2012-02-22 7:08 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2012-02-22 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4059910

Pro
wgraves7582 - 2012-02-22 7:08 AM

I don't know if biking would fall differently than running but last summer I had been doing a ton of riding with no interval training whatsoever.  Then we started hitting a couple of group rides a week and I was able to hang with top 10% of both groups (1 is flat and fast and the 2nd one is hilly and fast).  That was all based on having a huge bike base in.  You could say that I did some intervals because everytime I leave my house on the bike I am climbing to get home, but I never just went out to do bike sprints, I just went out to ride.

IMHO - I believe it would be the same in running.  I feel I could pull an 8:30 5k pace and I train at 9:45-10:00 with hills for intervals once again.  No specific speed work

Agreed......now get to 6:25 miles for a 5K which is where I'd like to end up.  Do you think you can do that by running 9:45 - 10:00 training pace even if you add more miles?  I bet you can't.

2012-02-22 9:09 AM
in reply to: #4059497

Expert
Falls Church

ironultrared - 2012-02-21 7:54 PM I don't have an ipod, but I've heard that there a an app or plugin for itunes that allows you to sort your music by beats per minute. This might be a resource for some out there. My personal favorite, though, is podrunner (I have no affiliation with him). The mixes aren't everyone's style, but I enjoy them. They're free, and he has steady beat mixes from 130-185 (I think he may have some slower ones out now) and he has some interval mixes out. http://www.djsteveboy.com/podrunner.htmlhttp://www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.htm

x2 on podrunner.  MotionTraxx is also a good place for specific bpm music.

I'm a big fan of 180+ cadence.  Has worked well for me.  Was a 'shuffler' before I upped my cadence.  Also had injury issues.

Setting new PR's each year for past three years in all running distances.  At 50, I'm hoping to get to a 10K pace of 8:00min/mile this year.  I also only run 3 x week.  The rest of the tri training has helped greatly.

2012-02-22 9:13 AM
in reply to: #4059112

Master
Burlington, Vermont
Left Brain - 2012-02-21 5:04 PM

Scout7 - 2012-02-21 3:55 PM  Yes, it is true beyond a shadow of a doubt that even if you run a lot of miles, all at the same effort level, then you will hit a plateau and not really progress beyond that, assuming that you're not adding any more miles on top of what you are running. 

I agree with everything you wrote, except that.  My experience....from watching others, is that more miles does not, in and of itself, make for a faster runner.  Like my uncle in my other example, I know plenty of people at the Y where I work out alot who are in the middle of marathon builds.....a large percentage of them are NOT getting faster even though they are adding miles weekly.  My experience is that if you leave out the "sometimes hard" then you will not necessarily get faster just by adding miles.

The overall advice is not as simple as this one point upon which you seem to be overly focused.  Running more miles is part of the equation. Mostly slow (so you can run more), sometimes fast. I'll add over multiple training cycles to the equation as well. In other words, the "run more" mantra MUST be considered in the long term. Running more for an 18 week training cycle is not it. Running more for years of multiple 18 week training cycles per year is it. Additionally, most people do not approach what would be the "more" in the "run more" advice.

And you're right ... if you're only running 12 minute miles for those miles, you're not going to get anything but good at running 12 minute miles. You have to train yourself to run easy ... while progressively having faster paces feel easy. Then, once a week or so ... maybe twice ... add some hard miles into the mix. These can be at the track, up and down hills, or simply as a solid chunk of LT miles within a medium distance run (say 6 of a 10 mile run).

If your current marathon training mileage will not accommodate a  weekend long run and a mid-week medium-long run (8-12 miles), you're not "running more" enough.

2012-02-22 9:34 AM

Veteran
Traveling

bscoles1 - 2012-02-21 9:54 PM I HAD to take noticeably smaller steps in order to pick em up and put em down that much faster. I am 6'2", so I am used to longer strides.

Try focusing only on picking up the foot quickly and let the landing happen on its own. By reducing your time spend on the support leg you will increase your turnover and cadence.

2012-02-22 9:39 AM
in reply to: #4060136

2012-02-22 9:53 AM
in reply to: #4060282

Pro
wgraves7582 - 2012-02-22 9:39 AM
Left Brain - 2012-02-22 9:47 AM
wgraves7582 - 2012-02-22 7:08 AM

I don't know if biking would fall differently than running but last summer I had been doing a ton of riding with no interval training whatsoever.  Then we started hitting a couple of group rides a week and I was able to hang with top 10% of both groups (1 is flat and fast and the 2nd one is hilly and fast).  That was all based on having a huge bike base in.  You could say that I did some intervals because everytime I leave my house on the bike I am climbing to get home, but I never just went out to do bike sprints, I just went out to ride.

IMHO - I believe it would be the same in running.  I feel I could pull an 8:30 5k pace and I train at 9:45-10:00 with hills for intervals once again.  No specific speed work

Agreed......now get to 6:25 miles for a 5K which is where I'd like to end up.  Do you think you can do that by running 9:45 - 10:00 training pace even if you add more miles?  I bet you can't.

Agree with you - but we naturally get faster by running more and then the average pace will drop.  But I am sure you would stagnate at some point if that is all you did.

I would look at an 8:25 5k for me (right now) and I believe it is possible just by running more steadily and possibly throwing a day of intervals in a week.  I believe the intervals will get you there quicker.  But in the end you have to want to improve.  Someone mentioned their dad and 20 marathons and the same time - maybe he was happy at that time and didn't care to go faster.

6:25 is a pipe dream for me

The 20 marathons was my uncle....and yeah, I see nothing wrong with it.  In fact, I admired his discipline and consistency.

At my age, 6:25/mile for a 5K may be a pipe dream for me too....but I'm going to find out.  There was a time when that was a slow race for me....but that was 3 decades ago.  I AM using the "more miles to get faster" idea, and, back to the original post, I have found that a faster cadence is a key to faster runs for me while keeping my perceived effort the same as much slower runs. After 27 months I still haven't let one go except on the treadmill a very few times.  The last mile of my last 9 mile run was under 7:30.....and I was still in zone 2.  I credit the "more miles" with alot of that for sure since my only true speed work has been on a treadmill program once a week....although some of that is VERY fast.  I don't think I could get faster without all of it.

2012-02-22 9:55 AM

Runner
Just to highlight something here:

My easy pace tends to plateau at around 7:30-8:30 / mile, even though I saw more significant changes in race performance.

The fact that easy pace is 10:00 has little if any impact on what you can actually race at.
2012-02-22 9:58 AM
in reply to: #4060315

2012-02-22 9:59 AM
in reply to: #4060326

Pro

Scout7 - 2012-02-22 9:55 AM Just to highlight something here: My easy pace tends to plateau at around 7:30-8:30 / mile, even though I saw more significant changes in race performance. The fact that easy pace is 10:00 has little if any impact on what you can actually race at.

Wait....what?  I'm not tracking you on that one.  Can you explain more?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to run faster (in light of the 180 cadence guideline) Rss Feed  

of 4