General Discussion Triathlon Talk » looking for swim help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-22 9:25 AM

User image

noblesville
Subject: looking for swim help
i am in the noblesville/fishers area looking for a swim class so that i can basically learn to swim, have not had swim lesson since i was a kid. so it will be like starting from scratch thanks for any help.

2012-02-22 5:36 PM
in reply to: #4060256

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Subject: RE: looking for swim help

I would try looking into the Fishers YMCA.  They offer group and private lessons.  Maybe also look into Lifetime fitness if there is one in your area.  I believe they offer adult swim lessons as well.

This will not replace lessons, but also look at youtube videos of swim techniques.  There are a lot of resources on the internet about swimming technique.  Swimsmooth.com is a good sight as well. 

I was in your shoes two years ago.  Took a couple of lessons and watched a lot of videos.  Swimming was hard at first because the technique to breathing and proper stroke takes time to acquire, but with practice you can learn to swim.  Having lessons is a great start because the instructor can guide you on the process of swimming basics and lead you into more formal instruction on proper swimming form.  Good luck.  

2012-02-23 5:02 AM

User image

Veteran
indiana

http://www.carmelswimclub.org/SwimLessons.jsp?_tabid_=26235&team=incsc

carmel swim club is putting on triathlon swim clinics. i have not been, but would if i didnt live 50-60 minutes away.

2012-03-01 8:05 AM

If you are in the Noblesville/ Fishers area, I would try to get in contact with either Kris Houchins (Indy Aquatics Masters) or Dick Sidner and see if you can schedule a possible private lesson.  They are 2 of the best coaches around and you could learn a lot from them.  Then practice, practice, practice.  I'm not sure what your target race is but if you have some time, spend a month of so of doing a swim focus.  Swim as often as possible.  They don't have to be long sessions, just do what you can and gradually increase your volume as you become more often.  Just try to make it a point to get in the pool every day.  Even though swimming is the shortest leg in triathlon, it should not be overlooked.  Poor swimming fitness can make the rest of your day that much tougher.  Learn the technique from a reputable coach and then get to the pool!  Good Luck. 
2012-03-01 9:29 AM

Veteran
Indiana

I agree with the folks above; private lessons are the best way to get started. One PL per week, plus two additional practice swims per week, and you will be on your way.

Once you get to where you can swim laps, look into the Jordan YMCA MultiFit program. They have 16 coached swim workouts each week. Some are designated 'alpha' where there is an extra coach to help beginners in a beginners' lane. There are also running and cycling group workouts too, and the whole program is $35/month for Y members. Great group, great coaching, and a great value.

2012-04-08 4:40 PM

User image

I was in the same boat as yourself. I am a member at Lifetime and take lessons with Nikki the water/pool manager (fantastic). There is also a younger coach that was 22nd in her age group at Kona that gives lessons. They are reasonable at 30 dollars, convient because they schedule at your times, and are one on one. They also host Swim Masters twice a week and have a bike club and run club.

2012-04-08 6:15 PM

User image

I can swim, just need someone to help me too. I am a member at the fishers Y and thanks everyone for this info... I am going to look into the swim lessons. thanks again everyone
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » looking for swim help Rss Feed