General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dewey Beach Sprint Triathlon 2012 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-22 5:16 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: Dewey Beach Sprint Triathlon 2012

I just pulled the trigger and registered for the Dewey Beach sprint tri for 2012.

I did this one in 2011. It was on my daughter's 8th birthday, so it was a family weekend at the beach. She was excited to go back for the same routine this year, so I registered early. Last year I registered about 4 days too late, and paid the $250 charity slot as opposed to the regular fee of $75.

The website says that this year the bike course will be the full 15 miles it used to be. Last year was 7 due to bridge construction.

Anyone else in? Dmbfan? We have to meet up again! I couldn't believe we were randomly at the same bike rack last time.

2012-02-24 2:03 PM
in reply to: #4061398

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Subject: RE: Dewey Beach Sprint Triathlon 2012

I want to do this event again but unfortunately I will not be there this year because it is too close to Nations Triathlon and I have a work engagement that weekend. I am glad to see that they changed the bike course to 15 miles which I am sure alot of people will like. Lets hope this year you guys get a nice tailwind on the bike instead of cross wind on both sections lol. I will definately be back again just not this year.

Claaaw- It was awesome to meet up last year and be in the same bike rack location! you wearing the Doughboy shirt this year? You need to do me a favor and on your way back to the finish, stop into the Starboard and have a drink for me   I am sure you will rock it this year and PR from last years time. Maybe Ill see you at another event this year? Ill PM you and find out if we are planning on doing anyof the same races this year.

2012-06-05 8:24 AM

I just signed up too! - My first one ever. 

2012-06-12 8:21 PM
in reply to: #4245261

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
bisseydm - 2012-06-05 9:24 AM

I just signed up too! - My first one ever. 

It's a great, fun event, with a dead flat bike and run. But make sure you have experience in ocean water. 1/2 mile isn't long, but with waves, it's a whole other world out there.

2012-06-13 8:09 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Heres hoping that you guys have a calmer swim at Dewey then last year Also, enjoy the new bike course! 15 miles instead of 7 will be awesome. The run was my favorite part last year, I like running past all the bars I drink at every summer. The post race food is the best I have encountered yet so I hope they keep it the same.
2012-06-20 8:03 PM

User image

Hey all, 

Brand new to this forum, and I can see now why it's become so highly recommended as an online community.

I am playing with the idea of a sprint tri in late summer or fall.  I live in North Wilmington.

I just bought a roadbike, and while I've been running and building my running base for the last 14 months (5Ks up to the 10 mile Broad St Run this spring) the bike will be brand new.  I grew up swimming competitively, but it's been some time.  I plan to begin some pool workouts and then hitting the open water during our week at the NJ shore in July.

When will this race fill up?  How long do I have to realistically make up my mind?  The other factor is that my first half marathon is 11/11 (my 40th birthday) and I want to make sure I have enough time to reset on my running distance work beforehand.

Thoughts?

2012-06-21 1:24 PM
in reply to: #4272549

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
brianggilbert - 2012-06-20 9:03 PM

Hey all, 

Brand new to this forum, and I can see now why it's become so highly recommended as an online community.

I am playing with the idea of a sprint tri in late summer or fall.  I live in North Wilmington.

I just bought a roadbike, and while I've been running and building my running base for the last 14 months (5Ks up to the 10 mile Broad St Run this spring) the bike will be brand new.  I grew up swimming competitively, but it's been some time.  I plan to begin some pool workouts and then hitting the open water during our week at the NJ shore in July.

When will this race fill up?  How long do I have to realistically make up my mind?  The other factor is that my first half marathon is 11/11 (my 40th birthday) and I want to make sure I have enough time to reset on my running distance work beforehand.

Thoughts?

1st of all - welcome!

Something about turning 40 and the half-marathon eh? I know about that.

I wouldn't worry about interrupting your half-marathon training that far out. It's a sprint distance.

Biking this one is great for a new cyclist. I was brand new to tris last year, and my best bike time (in relation to the rest of the field) was at Dewey. It was only 7 miles then, but even the 15 mile route will be dead flat with one bridge. Expect crosswinds.

As to fill up - I wouldn't wait long. It's over 90% now. I looked at signing up last year in late May, waited 2 days, and it was full. I was so determined to do it, only because it was on my daughter's birthday and was a good excuse to take the family to the beach, I ponied up the $250 charity slot fee. I did not do that again this year, I registered very early. I am surprised it's still open at this point, honestly.

The swim is in the ocean, so be ready for that. Otherwise, it's a great flat course for newbies, with GOOD BEER at the end. It's a great venue all around. You can stay in Dewey and bike to the start easily.

2012-06-24 6:32 AM
in reply to: #4273803

User image

I'm going to go ahead and make it happen.  A good strong pool swim and two encouraging bike rides this weekend and making me slightly bolder :-)

I might need some insight on how to logistically navigate the event.  This is new territory.  Is this a wetsuit-mandatory race?  

2012-06-24 9:00 AM
in reply to: #4277301

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
brianggilbert - 2012-06-24 7:32 AM

I'm going to go ahead and make it happen.  A good strong pool swim and two encouraging bike rides this weekend and making me slightly bolder :-)

I might need some insight on how to logistically navigate the event.  This is new territory.  Is this a wetsuit-mandatory race?  

'

Nope - not at all. Still quite warm mid-September. Doubt they'd mandate it for a short swim anyway. The only race I've seen in our region that is wetsuit mandatory is B2B. Further south, but run by Setup events like Dewey.

Get in the ocean though - seriously. Build that confidence before race day. Conditions were kind of rough last year. A tri was cancelled the same day in Atlantic City NJ for conditions.

2012-07-14 6:15 AM

User image

Baltimore
I just signed up, first tri really, at least that I am taking seriously. did Cascade Lake a few years back and even that short open water swim was intimidating. I don't expect to kill the Dewey tri but would like to get some OWS before then so I'm not so panicked. I was in Rehoboth this past week and rode that flat highway over the bridge to Bethany and back, so bike is not an issue. I paid the premium price as i sat on the fence too long. Doing it with some gym friends, all experienced triathletes, so I'll be in good company.
2012-09-07 1:16 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Ok we're a week out from Dewey now. I hope to be somewhat recovered from my half-mary tomorrow. Looking at the tropical storm situation, I wonder if we will have another rough swim this year.Last year we stayed Tuesday through Saturday, revisited Assateague Island with the kids in the afternoon, and drove home in a huge rainstorm.This year we are staying Friday to Sunday, so post-race we can take it a lot easier, and ot be dealing with hotel checkout concurrent with post-race activities. Anyone else staying at Sea Esta III?

2012-09-14 6:28 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Nice long sleeved tech shirts this year for the swag, not too shabby. We went down to the water this evening with the kids and the dog. Ocean is not nearly as angry as the 2011 race. That was the day after the water spout in Ocean City, and there was a hurriane way down south. Should be a normal swim for tomorrow. My kids still don't know how you get out that far, let alone swim it, so I am still superman to them. 1000+ people doing this tomorrow, more than 4 of us have to read BT! Find me in my new doughboy gear (you won't be able to miss it) and say hi! That is, if you aren't home and in the shower before I hit the finish line. I'm in a late wave, so that makes it even more fun for the slowness.
2012-09-16 7:47 AM
in reply to: #4412204

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
TheClaaaw - 2012-09-14 7:28 PMOcean is not nearly as angry as the 2011 race. That was the day after the water spout in Ocean City, and there was a hurriane way down south. Should be a normal swim for tomorrow.
I have never been so wrong about anything in my life. Were you guys who just posted, by any chance in the first timer wave? Yeah. Wow. I was wave 10, first timers were 14. By the time we were all in the water, it was a whole oher world out there. I was one of the many still in the water when they called off he remaining swim and had us get out. Craziest swim I've ever done.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dewey Beach Sprint Triathlon 2012 Rss Feed