General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming Technique course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-23 9:24 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Swimming Technique course

A few months ago, in another thread, someone suggested the Swimming Technique course from Genesis Aquatics (Hopkins Masters).  I signed up and started the course this week.  Thank you to whomever suggested it - it's great!  I am really enjoying it and I have already learned a lot in just two sessions.  It's fun, too, and the instructor is very nice.  Overall it's a great experience.

If anyone has been looking for technique help, check it out:

http://www.genesisaquatics.org/technique.html

I would say it's not a "learn to swim" class, you should be fairly comfortable because the drills require face in water and breathing skills.  But it's certainly appropriate for a newbie otherwise.    I am not sure if I'd recommend it for a "good" swimmer. I think it's perfect for me, who can swim adequately but is slow enough that I have a LOT of room for improvement.  It's strictly a technique class, not a "workout", so we get in about 600 yards over 45 minutes.   There will be "before and after" videos taken. I wish they'd done the video on Monday because I already feel as though I have improved.  For whatever reason, they will be done at the beginning of week two.

2012-02-23 10:19 AM
in reply to: #4062155

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Subject: RE: Swimming Technique course
BikerGrrrl - 2012-02-23 9:24 AM

A few months ago, in another thread, someone suggested the Swimming Technique course from Genesis Aquatics (Hopkins Masters).  I signed up and started the course this week.  Thank you to whomever suggested it - it's great!  I am really enjoying it and I have already learned a lot in just two sessions.  It's fun, too, and the instructor is very nice.  Overall it's a great experience.

If anyone has been looking for technique help, check it out:

http://www.genesisaquatics.org/technique.html

I would say it's not a "learn to swim" class, you should be fairly comfortable because the drills require face in water and breathing skills.  But it's certainly appropriate for a newbie otherwise.    I am not sure if I'd recommend it for a "good" swimmer. I think it's perfect for me, who can swim adequately but is slow enough that I have a LOT of room for improvement.  It's strictly a technique class, not a "workout", so we get in about 600 yards over 45 minutes.   There will be "before and after" videos taken. I wish they'd done the video on Monday because I already feel as though I have improved.  For whatever reason, they will be done at the beginning of week two.

Thanks for the link, Emily.  This sounds like just what I'm looking for.  Unfortunately, we're still "up north" but will be moving down by the Cities sometime this year.  One of my priorities after the move was to get some swimming lessons - so I will check this out.

Denise

2012-02-23 11:04 AM
in reply to: #4062278

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
LadyNorth - 2012-02-23 10:19 AM

Thanks for the link, Emily.  This sounds like just what I'm looking for.  Unfortunately, we're still "up north" but will be moving down by the Cities sometime this year.  One of my priorities after the move was to get some swimming lessons - so I will check this out.

Denise

Great!

2012-02-23 11:24 AM
in reply to: #4062155

User image

Elite
Minnetonka

Hey bikerGrrl, I also talked with Foggy and Mnrunner about video taping some swimming on our own.  I'll be sending out an e-mail next week.  You want in on this action ???

2012-02-23 11:37 AM
in reply to: #4062430

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
SoberTriGuy - 2012-02-23 11:24 AM

Hey bikerGrrl, I also talked with Foggy and Mnrunner about video taping some swimming on our own.  I'll be sending out an e-mail next week.  You want in on this action ???

Yeah, keep me posted.

2012-03-15 3:43 PM
in reply to: #4062476

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hey folks - they are still looking for people interested in the next Spring course.   See link above for details on dates.

It's totally worth it!  I am really enjoying it.

If you didn't see my swim video on the main forum, here's what I got in the early weeks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOPmte7EEsQ

I get an updated video next week!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming Technique course Rss Feed