General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Proposed Law to Ban 2x2 Bicycle Riding Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-23 3:28 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Proposed Law to Ban 2x2 Bicycle Riding

A bill on the fast track through the state legislature would ban side-by-side riding in the state.  Here is the link to the text of the bill.  http://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/en-US/Display/20112012/SB/468

Please alert your state congressman and senator that this law is unnecessary.  A law already on the book prohibits side-by-side when traffic conditions make it unsafe.  This law would ban side-by-side riding at any time. 

TW

Edited by tech_geezer 2012-02-23 3:31 PM

2012-02-23 8:06 PM
in reply to: #4063244

User image

Veteran
Washington, Georgia
Subject: RE: Proposed Law to Ban 2x2 Bicycle Riding
I agree, this law is not necessary at all.  Next thing you know there will be proposals to outlaw cycling on certain road, then worse.  
2012-02-29 11:09 AM

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
Well I'll put my foot in it. I disagree.  It is only my opinion - however, side by side riding is just silly.  If you want to ride and talk get a mountain bike and hit the trails or dirt roads.  I absolutely despise seeing riders on my routes doing this.  I find these wonderful  isolated south Georgia roads and try to wave at drivers and say hello to those out so the "neighborhood" starts to "know the bike guy".  Then I see these crackhead road cyclist riding all over the road with traffic having to almost stop.  Really ticks me off.  I say ride single file or get off the road.  All it does is tick drivers off and causes them to hate cyclist.  Anyway I accept the downpoor of disagreement that will surely come.  THe case could be made that if you can not pass 2 riders then it may not be safe to pass one.  However, I think it is a perception issue.  How many drivers hate runners.  They may not like them but not the hate that cyclist have.  I just think the deep emotions are from goofy things like a long history of riding side by side on busy roads.  This all may be from me being new to cycling and from the deep south Georgia. 
2012-02-29 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4072826

User image

Master

I came back to this thread many times to say virtually the same thing as you, kstater39. 

While I don't think a ban on side-by-side cycling is necessary, I think riding other than single file is disrespectful of other users of the roads and increases the animosity cyclists receive from drivers.  Same deal with riding up past all of the cars to the front at a light, but don't let's get started on that one!

Steph

2012-02-29 1:35 PM
in reply to: #4072921

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Mrs. brown_dog_us - 2012-02-29 12:42 PM

I came back to this thread many times to say virtually the same thing as you, kstater39. 

While I don't think a ban on side-by-side cycling is necessary, I think riding other than single file is disrespectful of other users of the roads and increases the animosity cyclists receive from drivers.  Same deal with riding up past all of the cars to the front at a light, but don't let's get started on that one!

Steph

According to the current law in Georgia this is legal. As a motorist I would rather the cyclist go to the front of the line and get across a busy intersection (say 92 and King Rd for example) so I can make the light rather than waiting through another iteration of the light cycle to get through.

2012-02-29 1:36 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

I suppose that BT really wanted to get my point across...double post

ETA: I agree with Steph and Ben on this. There is really no good reason to ride two abreast anywhere but the Silver Comet or Greenway (and even then it's rude if you are blocking those behind you).

Edited by Rocket Man 2012-02-29 1:38 PM

2012-02-29 1:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Macon, GA

We ride side by side on most of our group rides. I think, at times, it is safer for the cyclist as well as the cars. Our group rides consistently have 40-50 riders. If we are all lined up single file, you have a very long line of riders that the motorist must pass. By riding side by side, you greatly shorten the "area of impact" and make it easier at times for them to pass.

There are also many roads that we ride on that are not conducive to side-by side riding, but I am an advocate in certain situations

2012-02-29 2:06 PM
in reply to: #4073332

User image

Expert
tridawg72 - 2012-02-29 2:47 PM

We ride side by side on most of our group rides. I think, at times, it is safer for the cyclist as well as the cars. Our group rides consistently have 40-50 riders. If we are all lined up single file, you have a very long line of riders that the motorist must pass. By riding side by side, you greatly shorten the "area of impact" and make it easier at times for them to pass.

There are also many roads that we ride on that are not conducive to side-by side riding, but I am an advocate in certain situations

^^^^^ x 2

On a normal occasion, there is no reason to ride two abreast.  But in large groups it makes a huge difference.  If they are providing the required 3 ft of clearance to pass you, they still need to pass the yellow line.  So if they are already passing the yellow line, why does an additional 4 feet or so matter? They are in the same "danger" in regards to oncoming traffic as if they are passing any other vehicle.

Single file riding can "tempt" drivers to pass without treating it the same as passing another vehicle and when you have large groups they will take bigger risks in passing as they tend to try to "squeeze" back over when they see another car, regardless of whether they have passed all of the cyclists.  Unfortunately, the cyclist is the one who stands to lose the most in that situation (multiple cyclists in this case).

I have no problem with them having a law prohibiting side by side riding in groups under a certain size.  There is no reason we can't make compromises, but banning it completely would definitely not be a smart route, in my opinion.  

And, by the way, riding side by side on a greenway is crazy!

2012-02-29 9:18 PM
in reply to: #4073378

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA

My opinion and what I do when I end up riding with someone else, which is rare, is to ride side by side on the back country roads keeping a mindful eye for cars approaching.

When there's a car, we go single file to let them pass.  It's really not that tough to do.  This just seemed to be the logical and courteous approach to whoever we are sharing the road with.

2012-03-01 7:43 AM

User image

New user
If the law is passed...... how can the rider who is pulling the group pull over to let the next guy pull without being 2 abreast...... this law would almost outlaw group riding unless someone pulls all the time......
2012-03-01 8:17 AM
in reply to: #4074527

User image

Expert

jshortman - 2012-03-01 8:43 AM If the law is passed...... how can the rider who is pulling the group pull over to let the next guy pull without being 2 abreast...... this law would almost outlaw group riding unless someone pulls all the time......

You should, in theory, always be allowed to pass someone. But "passing" could be subject to interpretation if you don't pass "fast enough" to an outside observer. 

2012-03-01 2:56 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
The bill was withdrawn yesterday. 
2012-03-01 8:02 PM
in reply to: #4072826

User image

Veteran
Washington, Georgia

Just reading over the conversation since I last posted on this topic.

kstater, I did agree with this, and I do the same thing out where I ride in Wilkes and Lincoln counties...

"I find these wonderful  isolated south Georgia roads and try to wave at drivers and say hello to those out so the "neighborhood" starts to "know the bike guy". 

I think the more our communities "get to know the bike guy", the better. 

2012-03-06 11:53 AM

User image

Veteran

Many motorists don't like encountering cyclists or groups of cyclists.  Many view cyclists as annoying.  This is unfortunate.  

99% of cyclists also own cars for which they pay gas taxes, registration, etc. and therefore have as much "right" to use the road as anyone else.  Under current law, cyclists have the same rights, same rules, same responsibilities as other vehicles.  When I use the road with my bike, I am "one less car" in the traffic.  Atlanta has a lot of traffic and every "one less" helps.  Most motorists don't view cyclists as "same one person, but on a bike rather than in a car" therefore less traffic.  Most motorists view cyclists as a "nut in the road playing with his toy" and delaying their driving someplace important.

On my group rides we generally ride in a long single file pace line.  When we occasionally bunch up, then someone calls "car back", we spread and move right to ride single file.  There are a few sections we ride of narrow two lane with 45 mph speed limit and some curves.  When we have a big group, more than 30, we usually split the group before we get to the narrow sections, to make it easier and safer for cars to pass.  We're trying to be safe cyclists and good neighbors.  

We will, rarely, "take the lane" when conditions (broken pavement along the shoulder, stopped emergency vehicle ahead, etc.) which make it unsafe for cars to pass in our lane.  Some will pass anyway, but we force them to decide to use the other lane.  Some will pass anyway, even on a double yellow center line, just before a blind curve.

When we get a car behind us who is obviously impatient and enraged, honking the horn, etc. we will move over, or even stop, to let them pass.  You never know, they may be having an actual emergency.  Frequently a car goes to exaggerated lengths to pass, only for us to catch up with them a few minutes later at the next traffic light.

I don't think there is much a cyclist can do to change the opinion of a non-cyclist motorist.  Riding safely and causing the least disruption in the traffic flow - peaceful co-existence - is the best practice.  There's a fine line between holding your ground, using the road as you have a right to, and giving up your right of way for the sake of safety and being courteous.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Proposed Law to Ban 2x2 Bicycle Riding Rss Feed