Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-02-23 8:29 PM
in reply to: #4063526

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: Heel Strikers Unite!

BernardDogs - 2012-02-23 7:24 PM This is me before I worked to correct my over extended heel strike ... also in the midst of some significant hamstring issues that finally caught up to me. I would have to nearly pole vault over my extended leg.

This is me after spending about 6 months with deliberate attention to reigning in my foot strike to more beneath my center of gravity. My heel still hits the ground first. I'm still a heel striker. The two pictures show me at nearly the same place in my stride (on opposite legs). I don't know if this helps illustrate the point or not.

Question - did changing your length of stride force you to speed up your cadence, or no?

2012-02-23 8:46 PM
in reply to: #4063690

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
GoFaster - 2012-02-23 9:29 PM

BernardDogs - 2012-02-23 7:24 PM This is me before I worked to correct my over extended heel strike ... also in the midst of some significant hamstring issues that finally caught up to me. I would have to nearly pole vault over my extended leg.

This is me after spending about 6 months with deliberate attention to reigning in my foot strike to more beneath my center of gravity. My heel still hits the ground first. I'm still a heel striker. The two pictures show me at nearly the same place in my stride (on opposite legs). I don't know if this helps illustrate the point or not.

Question - did changing your length of stride force you to speed up your cadence, or no?

Obviously Bernard should answer for himself, but I'll say that in general, changing from overstriding to striking under one's c.o.g. does not require shortening the stride.  Instead, one lengthens 'out the back' instead of 'reaching up front'.  I.e., stride length can stay the same.  

Edited by Experior 2012-02-23 8:48 PM
2012-02-23 8:52 PM
in reply to: #4063450

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
GoFaster - 2012-02-23 6:13 PM

bryancd - 2012-02-23 6:06 PM No, you're not, TJ. You recognize the difference. Most people don't. Their perception of what it means to heel strike is incorrect as it's been perpetuated by shoe manufacturers as a catch all term for an improper running technique.

I fell into this category.  Tried to change to mid-forefoot strike, tried to use a less cushioned shoe =  almost 2 months sidelined with calf issues.  On the mend now that I've gone back to letting my foot fall more naturally (heel) and putting on cushioned asics again. 

Interesting.  This sounds like me, but it was my achilles.  Back to my trusty dusty asics and my "heel striking", and I feel much better.  

2012-02-23 9:09 PM
in reply to: #4063254

User image

well, whatever you want to call it, about 10 years ago I moved my impact/weight/whatever point from out in front of me to directly under my knee. took some adjusting and my cadence picked up, but I had chronic shin splints before and never had it since. The cadence took a little while, but fwiw, the eminem song "lose yourself" was a great help, as I kept my cadence with the beat.
2012-02-23 9:10 PM
in reply to: #4063751

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

amyfry - 2012-02-23 9:09 PM well, whatever you want to call it, about 10 years ago I moved my impact/weight/whatever point from out in front of me to directly under my knee. took some adjusting and my cadence picked up, but I had chronic shin splints before and never had it since. The cadence took a little while, but fwiw, the eminem song "lose yourself" was a great help, as I kept my cadence with the beat.

^^^^^^^This was me. Man, I gotta remember to check that my wife has logged out!

2012-02-24 12:17 AM
in reply to: #4063717

User image

Pro
Experior - 2012-02-23 8:46 PM

Obviously Bernard should answer for himself, but I'll say that in general, changing from overstriding to striking under one's c.o.g. does not require shortening the stride.  Instead, one lengthens 'out the back' instead of 'reaching up front'.  I.e., stride length can stay the same.  

^^^ YES

I think this is the deal.  My son is 14 and fast.....he got the same gift many in my family got...and can run a sub 5:00 mile (just barely) at 14.  As much as he loves to run, I won't let him do anything right now but hill repeats...very short, pretty steep, repeats.  He's a heel striker.  I was/am not.  He's faster than I was at his age....but his gate is all about "putting on the brakes" as he's already 6 foot tall and has gotten very gangly and out of wack with his stride as he hit a major growth spurt.

My point is that he illustrates (inadvertently) much of what we call wrong about our strides.  I'm working hard with him to get him to lengthen his "out the back" stride as I think it's the big fix....no matter where you land.

2012-02-24 6:27 AM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
Experior - 2012-02-23 9:46 PM

I found Brain Training For Runners to have a lot of great tips for visualizing and becoming more deliberate about realizing what your body mechanics are doing. My approach did shorten the reach of my lead leg considerably. That was done mostly by focusing on my center of gravity and my turnover. So I did incorporate cadence work ... but it wasn't to gain speed. It was to find more efficiency. The first time I counted my cadence, I recall it being at 147. That was due to a ridiculous amount of over striding. I slowly reigned it in from there. I haven't counted in a while, but I'm consistently in the high 170s now. On my recovery days, that has me shuffling along almost comically.

I agree that I could do a lot more work out the back. I should become more mindful of what's going on back there. I haven't paid attention to it for some time, but tight hamstrings definitely have impacted my ability to be as smooth as I'd like to be off the back.

2012-02-24 7:02 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
A big THANK YOU to this entire thread and everyone that has taken part in it. It helped open up my eyes to the parts of my stride that are out of whack and the parts that aren't really wrong. I tried "fixing" my heel strike early this winter and wound up in the pool for nearly a month. I went back to my natural stride, but it still isn't right. This discussion helped solidify the fact that I don't have to tear it all down and start over, but I do have to make some adjustments to get rid of the over-striding.

Thanks
2012-02-24 7:12 AM

User image

Runner
Experior - 2012-02-23 9:46 PM

Yup. Which is why I mentioned the leg extension and toe-off earlier.

Looking at their strides, you can see the trail leg has a pretty full extension, and how the foot rolls from the heel to the toes (heel touches first, rolls forward to a mid-foot or flat stance, then up to the toes for push-off). The front leg is out front, bent at (or close to) 90 degrees, and the thigh is nice and high. They get a lot of distance in the air, which is important.
2012-02-24 7:23 AM
in reply to: #4063885

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Left Brain - 2012-02-24 2:17 AM

My son is 14 and fast.....he got the same gift many in my family got...and can run a sub 5:00 mile (just barely) at 14.  As much as he loves to run, I won't let him do anything right now but hill repeats...very short, pretty steep, repeats.

What distances does he run or wish to run? Sprints or middle distance?

Shane
2012-02-24 9:23 AM
in reply to: #4064006

User image

Pro

gsmacleod - 2012-02-24 7:23 AM
Left Brain - 2012-02-24 2:17 AM My son is 14 and fast.....he got the same gift many in my family got...and can run a sub 5:00 mile (just barely) at 14.  As much as he loves to run, I won't let him do anything right now but hill repeats...very short, pretty steep, repeats.
What distances does he run or wish to run? Sprints or middle distance? Shane

He's not sure yet Shane.  He's only in 8th grade and will run the Youth Elite ITU series this summer.  He also swims a 500 in 5:30 and did a 6 mile TT on a computrainer last week in 15:30 with 240 Watt Avg.   He is 6' tall and weighs 130.  I'm not letting him run much right now as he's in a major growth spurt.  He's working with a couple of coaches as well. 

I'm not one of those "dads". I don't push......I just enjoy working out with him and watching him eat everything that isn't bolted down..  I was a miler in college many moons ago, and that type of speed runs in my family....between me, my brother, and my cousins there are quite a few sub 4:10 miles and 1:50 800's.  He's the first to swim and bike....I'll let him make the decisions on what he wants to do, but right now he's ate up with triathlon.  He says he wants to run cross country and swim in High School. 

Alot will depend, I would say, on how much he grows.  He's got a grandfather who was 6'7" and his 12 year old check-up with the doctor had him at 6'4" to 6'8" based on his height at that time.  If he ends up on that upper end, I would think some doors will close, while others open.....we'll see. I may start holding back on some food. Laughing

2012-02-24 9:53 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Heel striking is like doing open turns. You can do it, but real triathletes wouldn't...

And most of you are doing it wrong anyhow.

2012-02-24 10:22 AM
in reply to: #4063466

User image

Extreme Veteran

GoFaster - 2012-02-23 5:22 PM As the saying goes - if it ain't broke don't fix it.  I tried the opposite and got broken in the process.

x2. I got caught in the whole mid foot, chi...bla bla bla and ended up with achilles injuries. Went back to what my body decided to do and feel much better

But i am focusing on  90 cadence per leg run, synchronized with 90 cadence bike, syncronized with 90 strokes per 100m swim, since a study said that I won't win Kona unless I do

2012-02-24 10:42 AM
in reply to: #4063329

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
briderdt - 2012-02-23 4:07 PM

And this has been a standing criticism of most of the studies to date -- no distinction between heel hitting the ground first, and heel hitting the ground in front of the center of mass (overstriding). They seem to think they're one in the same.

The conversation here seems to be very astute.

I want to draw an important distinction that I think you and someone else here don't make (or don't state correctly IMO).

It's a distinction between the heel (or any part of the foot) touching the ground in front of the center of mass in a good way and in a bad way.

You can define overstriding as either or both, but since it's a pejorative term I prefer to use it to describe only the 'bad' way of landing in front of your COG.  And that's by tensing it when it lands such that it transmits braking forces back to you.

There are a few things to clarify.  First, the center of gravity can mean 2 things.  The static or dynamic center of gravity.  The static center of gravity is meaningless as you are moving forward.  You can and should touch down in front of the static center of gravity to be most efficient.  The dynamic center of gravity is that spot in front of you (depending on speed) that you can most efficiently touch down.  I would propose that it's something more along the lines of the term 'Instance Center' (google it).

But that definition aside, the foot can very well touch down ahead of THAT point and not be detrimental as long as the leg is still relaxed and hasn't yet taken up the body weight.  It will be a passive lever at that point and not rob you of any forward momentum.

Therefore the difference between overstriding or not, is going to be something mostly invisible to the naked eye....but one astute poster mentioned looking for a shock wave rippling up the runner's legs.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heel Strikers Unite! Rss Feed  

of 2