General Discussion Race Reports! » Pink Ribbon 5K run for Breast cancer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pink Ribbon 5K run for Breast cancer - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Rochester, New York
United States
Breast Cancer Coalition for Rochester
53F / 12C
Overcast
Total Time = 24m 41s
Overall Rank = 74/627
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 13/117
Pre-race routine:

Got up a lot earlier than usual for a Sunday (let alone Mothers day!) to eat my oatmeal by 7am as I need to leave a couple of hours before running or I end up with a stitch.
Tired though so after I ate I went back to bed for half an hour!
Event warmup:

Gosh it was cold up by the lake. Luckily I had my trackie bottoms and sweatshirt over my running gear. Spent most of last 10mins before start in a queue for the mens toilet (womens queue was even longer so the women had taken over the mens too).

Took layers off about 5mins before race start and was shivering within minutes so just tried stretching and jogging on the spot in the huge line at the start
Run
  • 24m 41s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Few lessons learned from this, my first running race. I know in training I run 10min miles (and I timed my long run last week and was even slower than that) but to give myself a bit of a push I queued up in the section that said 9 min per mile pace. Big mistake on 2 counts. Firstly with hindsight I ran faster than this (woo hoo!) but secondly most of the people in that section were running A LOT slower than that. I spent the first quarter of a mile or so just trying to get out and round the crowd to get my pace going. In fact it was past the one mile marker before I had got to a place that was my pace.
Couldn't quite believe it when passed the mile marker and a man was counting the time and said 8min 14sec. Having found my spot then didn't get overtaken (or overtake) until last half mile when a few women went past me. I was determined not to slow down but I couldn't go any faster either.
One water stop just after half way and I took water just to get practice in. Got most over myself and not in my mouth and then I felt like a real litter bug throwing the cup on the side of the road.

Needless to say I am amazed and quite shocked at my time.

Should also add that the race atmosphere was pretty inspiring
What would you do differently?:

Get a bit further forward at the starting line.
Should work on getting stronger at the finish but as my ultimate aim is longer distance triathlons I'm not too worried about this.
Post race
Warm down:

Pretty much collapsing (whilst standing) - unable to talk and walking around (with husband asking "where are you going?" and me completely unable to answer.

had a banana and water

What limited your ability to perform faster:

HA can't really say I could have gone faster - but I guess positioning at start and also fitness and lack of speed work (been working mainly on endurance)

Event comments:

Nice flat easy course just right for what it is aimed for (charity race).
First experience of chip timing - this was disposable thing on my race number.
Very impressed how quickly results up at the end and on the website

Last updated: 2006-05-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:41 | 03.1 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/117
Overall: 74/627
Performance: Good
Course: Flat along lakeshore - more or less out and back with a small loop at the furthest point
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-14 6:53 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Subject: Pink Ribbon 5K run for Breast cancer

2006-05-14 8:57 PM
in reply to: #423508

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: RE: Pink Ribbon 5K run for Breast cancer

NICE!! I repeat: NICE!!

Great effort and you finished in the top 10% of your age group.

I'm going to start calling you SpeedyJack.

2006-05-15 3:04 PM
in reply to: #423508

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Pink Ribbon 5K run for Breast cancer
Great race, Jackjack! 8 min/mile? And you said you weren't a fast runner???? Uh huh.

Great job!

See you at swimming.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pink Ribbon 5K run for Breast cancer Rss Feed