The Forzani Group Foundation
14C / 57F
Sunny
Total Time = 9h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Well, I broke the first rule of thumb with my pre race routine by eating a peanut butter bagel for breakfast instead of the usual cereal and juice, but it seemed to work out. However, the night before I drank 500ml of gatorade and 500ml of water right before bed. I felt hydrated. I also brought a bottle of gatorade for the race itself.
Event warmup:

Ummm. Warmup? Something I might need to improve upon for the actual Triathlon. Considering there were 12,000 people in Calgary downtown, there was no room to warm up. I guess the first 1km was a warmup in itself trying to dodge the crowds and get to a good running location!
Run
  • 1h 10m 30s
  • 10 kms
  • 07m 03s  min/km
Comments:

I am not sure about ranking, due to the sheer size of the race. I am sure they will post times in the paper tomorrow. I had a blast. I know I could run faster, but all in all I am really proud of my success. I thought I would come in right around 1:10 and I was almost bang on. We still ran our 10 and 1's. Jason finished in 59 minutes... his slowest time, but he looked great to me! BTW, this was a PB in the 10km considering I have never completed one before!
What would you do differently?:

I would like to better understand how to use my HRM for race pacing. I have not figured it out at all! With that in mind, I might endeavour to push a little harder on my next race.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down, we did some stretching (the usuals) then we walked about 5 kms to the breakfast spot where we had a lovely breakfast of eggs and sausage and toast and coffee. How better to warm down on a sunny Sunday morning?? Maybe I am not intense enough!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Limitations? I am still trying to figure it out. Probably my inability to drive myself harder without someone (or something) pushing me too!

Event comments:

I had a great race... the weather was beautiful... I spent time with my friends and my husband... there were loads of people feeling healthy and motivated all around me. Some factors could have changed the outcome, but they didn't... so it was a great race. This race is probably the most popular race in Calgary and attracts a TON of people. If you don't like kids, or non elite athletes, this race is NOT for you! But if you like being in the throng and having people sitting on their front lawns spraying you with the house and serving strawberries on course, then try it out!

Last updated: 2006-05-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:10:30 | 10 kms | 07m 03s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
I thought my HRM was working great, I was not basing my race pace on it just yet, my race pace is still decided my my comfort in chatting with my race partner. We could have pushed it harder, but for my first time, I was happy to talk with Heather and discuss camping plans for the long weekend, and other exciting personal events. Nonetheless, the HRM says I maxed out at 213... which is WAY WAY too high. What happens when you go above max heart rate? Do you die? Because I feel OK!!!!
Course: The course was BUSY. Not a big deal, I felt pretty comfortable. THere was no part of the race where we were all alone... in fact we caught up with 5km walkers when the race loop caught up to the short track. They must have been walking slow! There was also a couple of small hills... I was stunned at the number of people who simply stopped at the bottom and started walking up the hill!!! I guess the hill training has paid off because we passed quite a few people there!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-14 9:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Forzani Mother's Day Race

2006-05-18 11:56 AM
in reply to: #423614

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta
Subject: RE: Forzani Mother's Day Race
Good race report. Sure had a nice day for the run. I avoid it because of the crowds but really we should have run this one. Both of my kids started their first weeks of their lives in the Neonatal ICU at the Foothills hospital. Can't say enough good things about NICU. My kids are now healthy active 6 and 4 years olds! Thanks for supporting such a great cause!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Forzani Mother's Day Race Rss Feed