Start2Finish
38F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 06m 51s
Overall Rank = 25/334
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/
Pre-race routine:

Standard race breakfast of coffee, PB toast, oatmeal and banana. Stretched a bit in the warmth of the house. Race is only 3 miles from my house so didn't have to worry about leaving too early.
Event warmup:

Got parked, walked around a bit while finishing my coffee and then went for a heavily dressed slow warmup for about 10 minutes. Beautiful looking day but was 37 and very windy. Porta potty lines were huge so I crossed the street and used the hotels nice heated potties. Once it was about 10 minutes from the start, ditched the sweatshirt, sweatpants, and knit hat and toed the line.
Run
  • 1h 06m 51s
  • 10 miles
  • 06m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

The start was gun timed so I made sure to get near the front. Found a guy that was gunning for the win and lined up right behind him. Start was very uneventful other that I was running a little faster than I wanted at the half mile mark so I made sure I slowed a bit trying to hit closer to goal pace (6:4x/m was the goal). The first hill thinned out the pretenders that were going out way too fast in the beginning. After the first hill, it was about 6 miles on flat greenway miles. Found a perfect pace partner as she was clicking off 6:40 splits on the dot. At the half way point I was hitting my splits dead on. Then my pacer picked up the pace and increased her splits to 6:30 for the second half so she slowly pulled ahead. I tried to get down to 6:35/m but I was pretty much in the groove where I was. Somewhere around mile 7 I got passed by a strong closer and that was the only time I had anyone pass me since the start. At mile 8 we turned off the greenway and then directly into a 20mph wind...that hurt. Then at mile 8.5 we had two cruel jokes. First a very steep hill which reduced run to shuffle. Then continue uphill, then another steep hill to get out of the neighborhood. Finially crested the hill and had a nice 1m very gradual downhill so I figured I would try and book it. Thought I might catch the pace girl in front of me until I saw her kick it into overdrive and she was actually pulling further away :) With no one else in sight, I just gave it a good effort and actually turned in my fastest split and also made up the time I lost on the hills. Crossed the line in pretty good shape. Final time 1:06:51 with an average pace of 6:39/m.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. With Big Sur 8 weeks out and IMFL training start 6 weeks out, this was perfect timing and perfect distance one last hard run.
Post race
Warm down:

Quickly picked up my extra clothes and grabbed a frozen bagel and banana. Thought I would be close to AG award so I hung around until the official results were posted. 4th in AG. Close but no cigar. I was still very happy overall with my performance.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed this inaugural 10 mile race. They do have some things to work on: more porta-potties, bagels at 37 degrees were like rocks, and I prefer a chip start line, not gun start line. I really liked that they started the 4 miler runners 15 minutes before the 10 milers so they were outta the way. Challenging course as the hills are at extremelly painful spots in a race. I can easily see this event growing into a much bigger event (but 350 for inaugural race is pretty decent).

Last updated: 2012-02-26 12:00 AM
Running
01:06:51 | 10 miles | 06m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/
Overall: 25/334
Performance: Good
Course: The 10 Mile Course is half road, half paved greenway trail. Two significant hills, the first one in mile 1 and the second at mile 8.5.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-02-26 9:35 AM

User image

Master
Charlotte
Subject: Charlotte 10 Miler

2012-02-27 8:07 AM
in reply to: #4066840

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Subject: RE: Charlotte 10 Miler
Congrats!!!!  Sounds like you paced it pretty well.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Charlotte 10 Miler Rss Feed