General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Alamitos Race on the Base Triathlon - Reverse Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Los Alamitos Race on the Base Triathlon - Reverse Tri - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Los Alamitos, California
United States
City of Los Alamitos
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m 8s
Overall Rank = 583/
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 17/34
Pre-race routine:

Transition opened at 6 am. It was my husband and my first tri and he wanted to get a good spot so we got there very soon after opening. Then we checked out run in, bike in & out and swim out locations and counted racks to our spot. We both got an end spot.
We had eaten bagels and cream cheese in the car on the way to the event and after setting up transition, went back to the car and climbed in the back for a 1 hour nap. Our start time wasn't until 10:45. I watched the start of the inline skate race. Porta Potties had no lines, I kept drinking water, ate a banana and protein granola bar a long with a package of sharkies.
Event warmup:

There were two waves, Under 40 in the first wave at 9:45 and over 40 plus clydes and athena's in 2nd wave. Our mandatory pre-race meeting was at 10:15 and then we went over to the start area. The whole morning had been overcast and a little cold, but by the time of our start the sun was out and it was getting warm. I had a tri top and tri shorts on and was trying to decide if I wanted to slip on a light bike jersey for the run and bike, but with the sun getting warmer elected to stick with the tri top. On the way to the start line I did a light jog back and forth to my husband and friend who was also racing. I did a normal running warm up - 5 minutes of light running and some runners poses as well as work out the ankles.
Swim
  • 05m 12s
  • 200 meters
  • 02m 36s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a reverse tri with an outdoor pool swim last serpentine - 4 lengths of a 50 meter pool. You had to jump in the first lane and swim to the other end. You must touch the wall at each end (with any part of the body), then move under the lane line and swim back, 4 lengths.
Swimming was easy, I did not feel tired and the water felt good after being warm on the run and bike. I passed several swimmers. When I got to the wall, other athletes were hand over hand making their way to the lane line to dip under. I decided that was wasting time and just dunked under the water, pushed off the wall with my feet and diagonally swam under the lane line into the next lane. Freestyle the whole way. I may have been a bit tired after Run and Bike because I did breathe on the same side several strokes in a row, which is unusual for me an alternate breathing swimmer.
What would you do differently?:

nothing went well
Transition 1
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

T1 on this reverse Tri was Run to Bike. My husband ran in 1 minute ahead of me, but I glanced at his transition area as I was running out with the bike and saw him still there. While on the run I kept thinking to my self:
Hat off
Helmet On
Change shoes
So that's what I did and very quickly running to my transition area, pulling my hat off as I went. My helmet was hanging open on my break hoods and went quickly on and snapped. I was so worried about forgetting to take my garmin off in the pool and had planned to take it off in T2 but it was just as easy while I was running in to take off my hat and pull my garmin off and throw them in my transition bag.
I found my spot easily but the athlete at the spot next to me had chosen in front of my Bike shoes to put his discarded running shoes and towel. Really now? Isn't it obvious how I was set up.
I have velcro bike tri shoes that easily could be worn without socks, but since I had socks on from the run I left them on.
There were a lot of beginners on this tri that were running and riding in the same shoes, but I still beat most of them out of transition. I think it's because I ran in and ran out and scouted out exact locations early when setting up.

Nothing. It was a perfect transition.
Bike
  • 55m 6s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14.26 mile/hr
Comments:

Earlier in the day it was calm, but by the time we finished our run the wind was picking up and on one side of the sort of rectangular course the headwinds were very strong. I continued to pass riders throughout the whole ride. I was able to do 11-12 MPH on the headwind side and 20-23 on the tailwind side. Although I had beat my husband out of T1, he was right behind me and with his modified flying squirrel mount and competitiveness to push his way through, swept right by me on the start. Since he is a stronger cyclist than me (although he didn't have as much training) I figured he was long gone and was just hoping he wouldn't lap me. Turns out I was just behind him.
My feet did hurt a bit which they NEVER do on the bike. That was puzzling but I tried to stretch them out a bit. All my brick were bike/run so perhaps this reverse tri is a little different.
Being a road cyclist, it was weird not drafting at all, especially with such a horrific headwind.

Well I know I'm stronger when I can get more rides in during the week consistently but because it's winter, I'm not getting my after work rides weekdays since it's dark.
On the actual race I don't think I would have done anything differently
Transition 2
  • 02m 36s
Comments:

As I was coming up to dismount area, a guy on a black cruiser in front of me swerved right into the spot in front of me I had planned my stop. A bit frustrating but I moved more to the left. The area was congested, I was off my bike and trying to run into transition but the athletes around me were just walking their bikes and talking I guess relieved at being out of the headwind.
So my mantra for this transition was:
rack bike
helmet off
sunglasses off (prescription)
Garmin off
Number off
shoes off
grab goggles and go
I had already taken my garmin off in T1 so I was able to skip that. Prior to the race they had mentioned that you could wear sandals to the pool and there would be a kick off spot, but I figured it was short and paved and decided to do without. I didn't want to take the time to slip on flip flops. Bad mistake the transition area had little gravel an stones all over it. I tried to run but had to walk very tenderly. Once I was out of the actual parking lot the sidewalk and asphalt I could run and began running. It was funny so many other athletes (beginners) grabbed their towel and wore sandals and walked leisurely to the pool.
I ran past several people, but it was very congested at the exit because Athletes from the first wave were going out the same exit with all their gear since they had finished the race. They were talking and chatting and it was very difficult to weave through them. Again, I wasn't strong enough to just tell them to get the h--- out of the way.
I assumed my husband was well in front of me, but turned out he was still in transition.
Half way to the pool I realized I still had my expensive prescription sunglasses on. I noticed as I started to put my goggles on. I kept running as I tried to decide what to do with them, thinking maybe there would be someone to hand them to. I certainly didn't want them in a pile of shoes and sandals.
The entrance to the pool had white snow fencing along both sides. With big plastic holes in it. I hooked my glasses on one side and hoped for the best. The timing mat for end of transition was just before the pool, so this probably caused me a few seconds in transition.

I would have left my velcro cycling shoes on and kicked them off at the sandal spot. Taking them off in transition or taking them off at that point would have been the same amount of time and then I could have run the whole way.
Run
  • 44m 15s
  • 3.7 miles
  • 11m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out at too fast a pace. I had my Garmin on and had planned to be at 10:45 to 11. I kept looking down and I was sub 10. But in the excitement of the starting crowd it was hard to dial back.
It got very warm and I did well for the first 2 miles. But then became discouraged and had to fight the urge to walk. People I was pacing with would stop and walk. Then I decided maybe I could run faster if I had a recovery walk break and did a 30 second walk. It was very hot and I was concerned about getting dehydrated. There were two water stations and I took water from each with the second one even pouring some on my head.
When I'm miserable running, I kind of gave up and thought, well it's my first tri, really the goal is to finish. I could see where the final stretch was and knew I could make it but couldn't get myself to push harder and pick up the pace. My husband passed me on the last 1/4 miles.

Remember what it feels like when it's tough, remember that I am not going to die from it and keep pushing.

Post race
Warm down:

After the pool swim, I retrieved my glasses and they had sports drinks, water and oranges for us.
The cool water from the pool was kind of like a warm down and we easily walked back to transition area.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had a bad cold and sinus infection the week before. I was still very congested. Surf City was the first week of February and I did a recovery week since I was on work travel right after, but because of my sinus infection couldn't bring my training back up to where it was.

Event comments:

They were very organized! It was a fun race. They offered 4 free clinics in the months leading up to the race. I would recommend this race for any first time triathlete.
If I had entered as Athena which I well qualified for, I would have placed 8th in a field of 39. Top 10!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-01-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:12 | 200 meters | 02m 36s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/34
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: no
Course: This was a reverse tri with an outdoor pool swim last serpentine - 4 lengths of a 50 meter pool. You had to jump in the first lane and swim to the other end. You must touch the wall at each end (with any part of the body), then move under the lane line and swim back, 4 lengths.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:56
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:55:06 | 13.1 miles | 14.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/34
Performance:
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: This course was 3 laps on the tarmac and runway at the base. It was very flat with no hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:44:15 | 03.7 miles | 11m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/34
Performance:
Course: Running was first on this reverse tri. It was one lap on the tarmac/runway.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-02-26 4:49 PM

User image

Regular
Huntington Beach, CA
Subject: Los Alamitos Race on the Base Triathlon - Reverse Tri
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Alamitos Race on the Base Triathlon - Reverse Tri Rss Feed