B.A. Event Promotions
33F / 1C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 36s
Overall Rank = 63/3321
Age Group = M 30-39
Age Group Rank = 26/401
Pre-race routine:

Up around 6:15, and on the road to Hyannis a little after 7:00.
Event warmup:

Got in nearly a mile warmup and hit the porta-pottie.
Run
  • 1h 24m 36s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Over the last month my marathon training has been hampered by a left foot injury that I initially thought was a stress fracture, and more recently by a tight right hamstring. Up until yesterday, I was even considering not doing this race, as I didn't want to injure myself any further. Considering this, I was quite pleased with the race, and set a 45 second PR.

The day was a great day for a race, with sunny skies and temperatures in the low 30's. The only real issue was the wind, which was 20-30 mph with higher gusts.

Over the past month I had to take 11 days off due to an injury to my left foot, so my fitness probably dropped a bit. I decided to start out around a 6:15-6:20 pace, and see how I felt. In my last HM my heart rate avg. was 172, so I was targeting that.

My first three miles were 6:13, 6:13, 6:18, but my HR had crept up to around 180, and I was running into a headwind. Over the next four miles I eased up a bit, and my pace dropped to the mid to upper 6:20's.

Mile 8 had some uphill portions into the wind and my pace was 6:39. I also saw my highest HR in this mile at 185. I didn't want to blow up and was running over my lactate threshold. Around this point there was also a sizable gap between the people that I was running with and the next group up the road. I tried to back off to have some others lead our group into the wind, but nobody was up for that - oh well!

Miles 9-12 were back in the mid 6:20's for pacing, and eventually it seemed like we got a little benefit from the wind, but the trees dampened the help we could get.

I really wanted to kick the last mile, hoping to be close to the 1:24 mark, but I ended up getting a nasty side stitch just after mile 12. I guess running with a HR higher than what I averaged in my last 5k was finally catching up to me! I brought it home with the last mile in 6:38, and was happy to see the finish. I got passed by a few people in that last mile - I like to be the one doing he passing at the end, so I wasn't all that happy about that!

What would you do differently?:

Obviously having injuries doesn't help, so mitigating the injuries would definitely help. Hopefully I can be injury free over the seven week lead up to Boston!
Post race
Warm down:

I did a 4 mile cool down at around a 8:30 pace to get in 18 miles for the day. It felt nice to cruise at an easy pace after the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Small injuries and not that much speed work.

Event comments:

I'm happy with my result from today. I would have liked to have been under 1:24 and closer to 1:23, but I know that will come. I hope my injuries are now behind me so I can have a great four weeks of training before starting my taper for the marathon.

Last updated: 2012-01-07 12:00 AM
Running
01:24:36 | 13.1 miles | 06m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/401
Overall: 63/3321
Performance: Good
Avg HR: 177 Max HR: 185
Course: Rolling course partially along the water on Cape Cod. Very windy day, with sustained winds of 20-30 mph.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-02-26 6:55 PM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
Subject: Hyannis Half Marathon

2012-02-26 7:38 PM
in reply to: #4067393

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: Hyannis Half Marathon
Good work, Nate! Now you have the < 1:25 you were targeting last year. Best of luck for the next month of Boston prep. 
2012-02-27 5:44 AM
in reply to: #4067393

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Hyannis Half Marathon

Great job bro, all the work is paying off!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hyannis Half Marathon Rss Feed