General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Fort Yargo State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - Fort Yargo State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Winder, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The night before we drove to Winder, GA. My wife's grandparents live there. They served stew for dinner and I was still starving. I told folks I had to go to CVS for 'personal products' stopped of at Burger King and got two grilled chicken sandwiches. I couldn't be gone too long or the family would know something was up. I went to bed at 9:30.
I had run the course at x-mas time when I had been in town. We drove the bike course the night before and I was intimidated by the amount of hills.
Event warmup:

Woke up at 6:00 AM. Ate Snickers Marathon bar and drank a bottle of water. Still sore from long ride on Thursday (what a dope I was doing that so close to a race).
The temp was 50 F when I got to the park, which sucked donkies. Set up my transition area. Took of my non trisuit stuff too soon and headed down to the lake. The water was 71 and much warmer than the air. I swam 400m warm up and jogged back and forth on the beach. I got very cold before the race and started to shiver.
Swim
  • 14m 28s
  • 656 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

OK. Learning curve encountered. I finished 6/20 Clydesdales. 20/35 for AG 35-39. I went out at a slow pace and put myself at the back of the wave sI could relax. This probably cost me 5-10 seconds or so. i was speciffically starting slower than I can swim (this is my strongest leg) so I could have a good run and bike time.
Wow. I turned my head and at every third breath I got a wave or hand or foot in my face. Sucked down some water twice. This really hurt my breathing and I had to go to single sided breathing on the second 300m.
Some dude drafted me the whole second half. He kept hitting my foot ....pause....hit foot....pause. When we got out of the water I turned to look at him and he smiled and ran past me.
the swim time includes a long run up the hill. I looked at my watch and finished just over 12 minutes so the run took a minute or so.
What would you do differently?:

1. Have more confidence. 6/20 in my wave and I could have done better. If I had stayed more in front I would have probably sucked less water down.

2. Wetsuit for bouyamcy and not to freeze. Now that the chub is coming off I tolerate cold less well.

3. Practice longer distances during the week.

Transition 1
  • 03m 5s
Comments:

Hmm T1/T3 data below. I will add the two similar transitions.
T1 1:42
T3 1:23

Not much. I had the third fastest T1 time for my division. To really pick up speed I would need to leave the shoes on the bike. I'm not sure the number of crashed needed to develop that skill would be worth it.
Bike
  • 47m 47s
  • 12.8 miles
  • 16.07 mile/hr
Comments:

Rank/Clydesdales:
Loop One: 10/20
Loop Two: 8/20
Rank/AG:
Loop One: 26/35
Loop Two: 24/35

I rode 30 miles of hilly terrain on Thurs. because I felt like it. This hurt me some, but holy moly people are so much faster than I am. I passed about as many as passed me. 16mph on this course is not so bad for me, but I know there are much faster times inside this body.

Train more. Keep doing hill workouts.
Transition 2
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

T2: I wore my bike helmet and gloves on the run!!! What a dork! A few people laughed and I smiled a lot about it. T4 was no problemo.
T2: 1:33
T4: 1:18

Practice. Learn to ride on top of my shoes. I eliminated socks from the entire race.
Run
  • 28m 27s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Clydesdales:
Lap one: 8/20
Lap two: 9/20
AG:(ack I really don't want to see this)
Lap One: 27/25
Lap Two: 28/35

This is a bummer. Didn't even beat my Parris Island pace. My legs felt pretty beat. No taper before this race and being sick prolly hurt me.

More taper before a race. Don't get sick. I know I have it in me to race much faster. My plan was to save more for the run to see what I could do. It was hard to judge with all the transitions.
Post race
Warm down:

Hugged wife and son. Walked around and cheered on some finishers. Bagel, water, cookie.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need more training. I'm in the MOP for clydesdales for this race, but it includes some DNFs etc. I watched the real cyclists pass the opposite way from mee on leg 2 and they were so friggin fast! I'm proud to report I didn't get off the bike on the big hill. I wasn't passed on the big hill as well. I knew this was a B race for me, but I made a mistake doing the long bike ride two days before my race.
Despite all that. I loved it. I moved from bottom of the barrel to top of the BOP bottom of the MOP. I felt well enough to have a recovery ride last night (Sun). I need to hydrate more during the race BTW.

Event comments:

I think I'm going to like longer races. I feel lik ethe second half of the workout/rae is always better for me. I didn't like all the transitions for the same reason. I enjoyed myself and learned a lot about how to race.

Last updated: 2006-03-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:28 | 656 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Trisuit
Course: Simple out and back. There were 100m bouys on your right on the way out, a main bouy, and then more on the right on the way back. There was minimal current or chop.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:05
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:47:47 | 12.8 miles | 16.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/
Performance:
OK Lap One: 23:52 Lap Two: 23:55 Wow! So consistent!
Wind: None
Course: Out and back along the lake. There was a huge hill near the beginning/end of each loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:52
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:27 | 03.1 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/
Performance: Below average
Lap One:14:30:13 Lap Two:13:57:02 Total: 28:27
Course: Slightly hilly course in the woods and on roads to the local camp sites.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-05-15 8:27 AM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
Subject: Tri the Parks - Fort Yargo State Park

2006-05-15 9:15 AM
in reply to: #423800

User image

Regular
Newton, MA
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - Fort Yargo State Park

Awesome job my man!  I know you're disappointed in the swim, but it sounds like you might go out more aggressive next time.  LOL, and your bike splits were amazingly close!  That would be difficult to repeat even if you tried...  Plus, that race must have been great for transition practice...  Good job

Was that your first tri?

2006-05-15 11:09 AM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Way to go! Great job out there. I'm sorry I missed you. This was a good race to gauge progress, at least that's what I'm using it for.
2006-05-15 1:18 PM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
This was my second Tri. Next is on my home turf at Mistletoe in Appling.
2006-05-15 1:24 PM
in reply to: #424181

User image

Regular
Newton, MA

Mistletoe will be my first tri... I thought home tuff would be as good a place as any to start...  look forward to seeing you there

2006-05-15 2:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Great race, we were actually in the same neighborhood the whole race. Sorry we didn't get to meet.

Sneaking out for food, lol, that sounds like something I would do.

Hey, I'm just curious since we were close together, did you pass a yellow cap guy on the swim whose kick sounded like a depth charge? THUMP. THUMP, THUMP. It was strange, the geyser he was throwing up blocked my view of the finish until I passed him.

2006-05-15 2:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Lexington, KY
Great job Bluejack! I certainly would not be disappointed with those times. Great race!
2006-05-15 2:59 PM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
I think I saw you run by me on the first run. I was standing at the playground while my daughter played and you were the only one I saw wearing their bike helmet. That had to have been you! Good job on the race! What an awesome experience!
2006-05-16 12:48 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

Nice race-  I think you had an awesome run time, considering the fact that this was a hillier race than Parris Island.  I am laughing at the fact that you wore your helmet and bike gloves for the run- ha,ha!  Now that you got some practicce you're going to kick butt at Mistletoe!

2006-05-16 1:00 PM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
Thanks for all of the kind words. I feel like I'm making progress in all three sports and the encouragement is great. I wish I met some of you before the race, because despite my usual disposition I was feeling very fat, slow and out of place! Thank goodness there is a Clydesdale division!
Thumper! Yessir! I think he was hurting and struggling badly. I passed him just near the last 1/4 or so of the race.

Next time I'll write my BT name so I can start meeting folks! I can't wait for Mistletoe now!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Fort Yargo State Park Rss Feed