Depends...
Worn when going "out"
If you like it, put a ring on it.
But not in the pool, or on the bike, or when I'm at a bar
Don't do it!!!!!
Usually
Everywhere but the pool
I don't SO does
Never been married so it's a moot point.
everywhere but work- it's not allowed there.
I'm allergic to my wedding ring, so only on special occasions
It burns. IT BURNS!
Everywhere including the pool - Titanium is your friend!
Most of the time except when working out.
I'm a lefty, it bugs me. Only wear when necessary
Most of the time except when when strength training.
I only take it off when using power tools
I lost too much weight and it doesn't fit on my finger anymore.
All the time but I wear it on my right hand
This is a multiple choice poll.

2012-02-29 4:28 PM
in reply to: #4070065

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Wedding Ring - yes or no?

Anybody else ever notice the reflexive L thumb to the base of the ring finger move to make sure the ring is still there?  If I'm cooking or doing something really filthy with my hands, the ring's off of course...but then that reflexive ring check happens.  I've noticed myself doing it even when the ring is on.  

I can't be the only person who does this.

2012-02-29 4:41 PM
in reply to: #4073723

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
ChineseDemocracy - 2012-02-29 3:28 PM

Anybody else ever notice the reflexive L thumb to the base of the ring finger move to make sure the ring is still there?  If I'm cooking or doing something really filthy with my hands, the ring's off of course...but then that reflexive ring check happens.  I've noticed myself doing it even when the ring is on.  

That is the main way I notice it is missing if I forget to put it back on. Thumb goes there automatically. 

Other way I usually notice is in the car when I grab the steering wheel, feels weird for that part of my finger to touch the wheel.

Then of course the text message from my wife asking why I left my ring on the bathroom counter and if I plan on coming back or if she should just put my stuff on the curb.

2012-02-29 5:00 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
ChineseDemocracy - 2012-02-29 5:28 PM

How many times did you do this while reading this thread?
2012-02-29 5:31 PM
in reply to: #4070095

User image

Master
Beijing

graceful_dave - 2012-02-27 9:04 AM I few years ago when I was a little less thick, I took mine off when I swam because it would slip off when my hands got cold. Other than that, I never take it off.

This is also my experience.

2012-02-29 8:42 PM
in reply to: #4073772

User image

Expert
Western WI
cdban66 - 2012-02-29 5:00 PM

LOTS! Ha!

2012-02-29 9:28 PM
in reply to: #4074072

Master
TriRx - 2012-02-29 9:42 PM
cdban66 - 2012-02-29 5:00 PM

LOTS! Ha!

I do this ALL of the time!  I'll sometimes have a random panic that it's gone....and a huge sigh of relief when I realize that it is, in fact, still on my finger. 

I wear both my engagement ring and wedding band any time I'm out of the house.  I'll wear just the band if I'm doing some major house work.  And I take both off when I sleep, shower, sometimes when cooking and always when swimming.

My husband put his wedding band on about 8 months BEFORE the wedding and has only taken it off once since (for the wedding). 

Edited by hamiltks10 2012-02-29 9:33 PM

2012-02-29 10:55 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Haven't worn my band in many, many years.  It was bugging me when lifting weights, and would slide off when swimming.  So I'd leave it in my car, and then I misplaced it more than once.  So I finally just stopped wearing it.  I'm still married with or without a ring, and not wearing it doesn't matter to me, nor my wife.  What matters is the commitment of both parties in the relationship.  A band of metal, not so much.  I mention my wife and kids at work, so pretty much everyone I see regularly with whom I talk knows that I have a family.  And I honestly wouldn't want to be in a place like a bar without my wife around, because I'd get bored very quickly otherwise.
2012-03-01 9:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
W. Michigan

- I'm not a jewelry guy, besides my wedding ring I might wear a watch semi-regularly, but only a leather-band watch, not a huge fan of the metal bands. 

- I'm a lefty, so having a hunk of metal that's already uncomfortable on my dominant hand is distracting.  I wear it when going out or when working (office), but anytime I'm working out or working with my hands in any way, it comes off.  The wife knows about this and is fine with it. 

- There have been occasions where I've forgotten to wear my ring out with friends after a day of not having it on, and I have been hit on due to that.  I agree with the posters that have said a cheater is going to cheat regardless of a hunk of metal on their hand.  I also agree with the posters that have said that they've gotten hit on more wearing the ring than not wearing it.

2012-03-02 6:27 AM

User image

Master
I teach High school shop and build furniture as a hobby, the only time I take it off is when I am using power tools spinnng at a high rate of speed. I have seen the results of not taking it off. 
2012-03-02 6:33 AM

User image

Champion
Somewhere I can be nekidd

I used to wear mine all of the time. After I broke my left arm, and my neck I have nerve damage and my rings are painful to wear now. I have tried to put them on if we were going to a wedding, or someplace special, and I just can't do it. I wore them on a chain around my neck for awhile, but I was afraid of losing them, so they live in my jewelry box now.

My husband wears his ring all of the time.

2012-03-02 10:03 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina

I had gotten a decent ring but the one that I wanted that would have matched my wife's, celtic warrior ring, was a little out of our price range at the time of wedding planning/paying.  I was surprised at the ceremony with it as she had figured out how to squeeze a little extra out of her budget and bought it.

I wear the one I bought at work, near indestructible which is needed and the nicer one when I'm off.  At the gym/pool sometimes it's on sometimes it's off but always on outside of that feel kind of naked without it at this point.

My wife doesn't wear hers while working, registered nurse, as it breaks the gloves regularly and since she does oncology and hangs chemo not the best time to get a broken glove...

2012-03-02 10:45 AM

Master
Houston, TX
ChineseDemocracy - 2012-02-29 4:28 PM

I check all the time.  I have some compulsive tics that I've had all my life.  When I got married, this became one of them. Guess I'll be busy for the next 15 minutes, or so.

So thanks for that!  (kidding)  

2012-03-02 2:53 PM

User image

Madison, WI
I've been married 13 years and take it off at night when I go to sleep and when I work out. I've almost lost it twice (once in waist high water at a lake) so whenever I'm in water, it comes off. The ring doesn't matter as far as fidelity/infidelity...that is an attitude more than a piece of jewelry.
2012-03-03 7:54 PM
in reply to: #4070089

User image

Expert
cwpeters - 2012-02-28 9:02 AM
Bigfuzzydoug - 2012-02-28 8:55 AM

This big hunk of gold went on my finger on August 21, 1992 and hasn't come off since.  I don't even think it can come off.  My fingers have gotten a littler *ahem* fatter.

Old fashioned or not - I hardly even think about it.  It's just permanently there like a tattoo.

^^^This.

crazy yall have the same anniversary?
2012-03-03 8:18 PM
in reply to: #4071457

User image

Expert
Whizzzzz - 2012-02-28 6:36 PM

sulross - 2012-02-28 5:22 PM I'm in the 100% of the time club. I like having it on; I like what it symbolizes and I like for others to know that I'm committed. But, that's just my thing I don't get invested in what other people do with theirs (other than my wife, but she's like me). Funny thing is that I don't even know I have it on. It's just there. I do have a cheap ring that I use for surfing, or being in surf/flowing water conditions. I bought it right outside the hotel on our honeymoon in Hawaii. Whenever I do notice it, I am always amazed at how long I've been wearing it. Fourteen years in about one week. I think it will mean a lot to my son when I am gone - to have a ring that not only symbolizes the love his dad had for his mom, but, also, to have a ring that his dad wore every day of his life after marrying his mom. This is a good thread! Interesting perspectives

Awwwww. This just made me well up with tears a little bit! Sweet! Smile

My dad passed away and I received his ring, I wear it and my ring everyday, only take it off to swim.  I think you are correct when you say it will mean a lot.  It does to me.  When we take our rings to be cleaned and inspected they always ask to have my dads ring and my wife quickly grabs it and puts it in her purse for safe keeping, no one else touches that ring but her.
2012-03-04 9:33 AM

User image

Pro
Without house

I've only been married for a little less than 2 years, but I wear mine almost always (wedding band at least, normally both engagement and wedding band...except when making messy things in the kitchen...my rings are a pain to clean)  I did have a period of approximate 2 weeks last year when I couldn't wear either ring because I'd had a blood transfusion and my arm and hand has swollen so badly because the IV had infiltrated (owwie! Thankfully DH was able to get them off before it got to the point they needed to be cut off.) It took about 2 weeks for the edema to go down enough to wear the wedding ring again, and then another 2 weeks to be able to wear the engagement ring (~1/2 size small than band). Depending on how cold it gets in the winter, I may stop wearing the engagement ring for a period of time because my fingers shrink and it spins like the devil...it's also set high and is difficult to wear with gloves.

My husband currently wears his wedding band on his middle finger because it's too big for his ring finger. I want to buy him a really nice band someday (his current one is stainless steel, which he likes, but I'd love to get him a platinum one), but I'm currently a broke college student.

It's important to me to at least wear the wedding ring...I don't need the reminder, persay, but I'm very happy that I'm married, and I like that others can know.

2012-03-04 12:20 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas
I wear mine on a chain around my neck (ala Frodo Baggins) because I was quite a bit heavier when I got married and it doesn't fit on my finger anymore.  I don't want to re-size it either because that will mess up the inscription my wife put on it.
2012-03-04 4:18 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, WI

Only two reasons to take it off for me: Playing basketball and swimming. It is loose since I've lost a lot of weight since getting married almost 25 years ago. I am left-handed and it bothers me to shoot a basketball with it on. Also, about 20 years ago I sprained my ring finger during a game and almost couldn't get it off due to swelling.

My DW only wears her band. Keeps the diamond at home.

2012-03-04 9:54 PM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
Been married 15 years and wearing the wedding ring lasted a week.  I find wearing jewelry annoying. I can't even wear a Livestrong bracelet for more than a couple hours.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Wedding Ring - yes or no? Rss Feed  

of 5