General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-28 9:00 AM

User image

Regular
Augusta, GA
Subject: Run Training

I just completed my first half marathon and would like to stay within that range for my training runs. ( to improve on my next one!) What weekly mileage would you run if you want to run 5 days a week?  How would you break it down?

Thanks,

Court

2012-02-28 9:08 AM
in reply to: #4070243

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Run Training
Whatever mileage I could fit into my schedule.

I would have:
- 1 "long" day: longest run of the week, no more than about 1/3 total weekly mileage.
- 1 "mid" day: second longest run of the week, anywhere from about 2/3 to same distance as the long run.
- 3 "average" days, where I would run anywhere from about 30 - 60 minutes, give or take.

You could also use part of the mid run to emphasize some higher effort work, so turn it into a tempo or progression type of run.
2012-02-28 9:39 AM
in reply to: #4070243

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

I'd agree with Scout.  3X "regular run" in the 4-6 mile range, 1X mid run in the 8-10 range, and 1 long run in the 12-14 range.

This would put your weekly total between 32 and 42 miles.  That alone will help you improve your time in your next half.  Once you get a solid base you can start playing around with some speed work, hill work etc.

I'd also suggest that you look at how you map out your weeks so as to not burn out... if you're able to do two or three weeks at the higher total make sure you use the next week as recover, and do the lower total or even less (say take an extra day off and only run 2X, 1X, 1X).  Recovery is just as (if not more) important as the hard training.

2012-02-28 10:42 AM
in reply to: #4070332

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Sous - 2012-02-28 10:39 AM

I'd agree with Scout.  3X "regular run" in the 4-6 mile range, 1X mid run in the 8-10 range, and 1 long run in the 12-14 range.

This would put your weekly total between 32 and 42 miles.  That alone will help you improve your time in your next half.  Once you get a solid base you can start playing around with some speed work, hill work etc.

I'd also suggest that you look at how you map out your weeks so as to not burn out... if you're able to do two or three weeks at the higher total make sure you use the next week as recover, and do the lower total or even less (say take an extra day off and only run 2X, 1X, 1X).  Recovery is just as (if not more) important as the hard training.

Agreed on all this. 

Given where you are right now, you'll probably make great gains simply by putting in some consistent mileage. If you can build to the point where you're doing what these guys are recommending, you should make good progress in your next HM. Elaborating a little on Sous' suggestion, if you plan to do some kind of race or other test about once a month, then you could use that to create the alternation between harder and easier weeks, with an easier week leading up to each race/test.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run Training Rss Feed