The Cowtown
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 19m 35s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was my 4th cowtown marathon. I got sucked in by the interlocking medals and have one more to go.
I have yet to run a solid 26.2. Each time I adjust the way that I prepare but I am bound by the total amount of hours that I am willing to train and the other activities that I am unwilling to set aside.
For this race I decided to slot in more long runs at my target race pace (9mi/mi). I hit 2x18 and 2x20 more or less on target and felt ready to put a good race together about 2 weeks ago.
7 days prior to the race, I got the flu. I started to feel sick friday and by sunday I put up a high temp of 102.5.
I skipped the last week of so of training. I figured that the big work was done and I needed to stay in bed if I wanted to cross the finish line at all.
Event warmup:

I felt like I had over dressed but I was shivering at the start. It was crazy.
I decided to race like I trained which meant 4x20oz bottles of infinite around my waist. Next time I want to try carrying the flasks with jus the powder and adding water on the course. an extra 40oz is heavy.
Run
  • 4h 19m 35s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I had run 20mi in 3 hrs in training a fwe weeks back and my "a" plan was to stick to that pace. A little slower uphill, a little faster down hill.
By mile 2 it was clear that I was still getting over the flu. My HR was elevated, I was not holding pace and I was starting to feel hamstring cramps coming on.
So I went to plan "b" - make sure I get the medal and see if I could put myself in a position to pr (4:20). For the rest of the first 1/2 of the race I put the garmin on the HR screen and didnt worry about my pace. I jus made sure that my hr stayed under 160bpm. I had to hit the porto potty 3 times before the 13.1 mark but it didnt bother me. I figured that all I needed to do was not totally implode and I would get my medal and have a shot at 4:20.
Mile 18 was the highpoint of the race for me. I knew from looking at the course over and over that right after mi 18 we would turn north which meant the wind would be at my back and we would also start a down hill patch that went till mile 22. At mile 18 garmin said I could go 4:10 to 4:15 if I could keep from imploding.

I haev now completed 6 marathons and in each one I have had leg cramps. One coach suggested it was nutrition, another mileage. I have tried different training plans. Nothing has gotten me from one end to the other without cramps. Up untill this race they started in the hamstrings, moved to my calves and then settled in to my quads. They usually come around mile 18. Part of the reason for the 18 and 20 mi runs at goal pace was to try and force the cramps in training. I never cramped in training.

At mile 21.5 my right hamstring locked up. From then on one or the other would lock about every 1/2 mile. As bad as this sounds, it was so much better than in any prior marathon. No calf, no quad. And no problems at all till 21.5 after the initial twinges at mile 2 and 3.

In the past, I would go through the last 8 miles hating the race. This time it didnt get bad till 22 or so and by then it was almost over.

The last mile was uphill and by now I was watching my garmin because getting in under 4:20 was possible and given where I was a week ago and the fact that this is the only marathon on the calendar for me this year, I really wanted it. Bad. No smiling for the camera, no high 5's. Just focus on putting one foot in front of the other.
By the time my watch clicked to 4:19 I was looking at the finish line and knew I could get there in under a minute. My 6 year old daughter ellie came out of nowhere onto the course, took my hand and ran the last 50M with me.
4:19:35 and by far the most comfortable 26.2 I have ever done.
What would you do differently?:

More miles in training. If I want to run to my potential I need to put the other things aside for a few months and just run. To be honest, I dont know if I want a 3:xx time that bad or not.
Carry my infinite mix but get water off of the course. I watch my diet to run at 160lbs and then carry 3lbs of water with me.
Drink less coffee before the race. 3 pee stops is a little excessive and given that time spent in line my cyclemeter app says I lost 4 minuets at the porto potty.
GET A @#$%$%# FLU SHOT!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Hit the food. Did some air squats to restore range of motion.
Note to self: Say yes to ice cream but no to pineapple chunks.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My willingness to spend more time running and less time at crossfit. Getting the flu

Event comments:

This race to me still has a small town feel. I have done some massive R-n-R races and this is not that.

To wrap it up, while I was grabbing a nap after the race my wife and daughter adopted a mastiff mix puppy from the humane society. I will post pics when I get them.

Last updated: 2011-10-27 12:00 AM
Running
04:19:35 | 26.2 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
avg hr was 157. 13.1 split was 2:06. I am having trouble getting my garmin to send the data to my computer. I hope that I dont lose it!!!
Course: There were hills but the real story wit this race is always the wind. Comes out of the south at between 10 and 20 mph. It is at your back for the first 6 mi and the last 8. But in between it can get ugly. The last mile is uphill. Cruel.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-02-28 9:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: The Cowtown Marathon

2012-02-28 10:21 AM
in reply to: #4070376

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: The Cowtown Marathon
You had the flu the week before and PR'd!? WOW, I am impressed
Great job out there! 
2012-02-28 2:42 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Way to go Jimmy!  It's interesting about getting the flu at just the right time.  Nice taper, nice race!
2012-02-28 4:22 PM

User image

DFW, Tejas
Congrats on the PR!  I tried Galloway (1 mi run to just below LT/30S walk) in a 20 miler a few weeks back and it really really reduced the stress on the legs, and I was able to run at an ave pace 20s faster then my last marathon.  You might experiment with that since the legs sound to be your limiter.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Cowtown Marathon Rss Feed