General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri on replacement knees Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-28 10:06 AM

Subject: Tri on replacement knees

Hi,

I promised a friend I'd do a tri at some point, despite my bad knees. I was going to walk the "run" part. However, my knees got to the point they needed replacement. I'm undergoing bilateral knee replacement in a couple of weeks.

My question is, has anyone done a triathlon with two artificial knees? I plan on doing a sprint distance, and walking the run since running is out for the rest of my life. Swimming shouldn't be too hard to learn and I've ridden a century so the cycling should be OK too.

I thank you for any advice you have for me.

2012-03-02 12:29 PM
in reply to: #4070400

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Subject: RE: Tri on replacement knees

Historian, you can certainly walk the run if needed, I did something similar with foot injuries, (slow jog, slower than a fast walker probably) and still wound up mop. There are also a few aqua bike events here and there, and relays. Wishing you great success and fast recovery! Searching in here will turn up several total knee replacement threads ,maybe something useful in there.

Edited by mxr746 2012-03-02 12:29 PM
2012-03-02 3:54 PM
in reply to: #4070400

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Subject: RE: Tri on replacement knees
Sure, you can walk them. There are folks running on artificial knees (Dick Beardsley being one of the most famous, and there is a thread over on runner's world for folks with artificial knees who are running), so you never know...you may be out there running it, too :-)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri on replacement knees Rss Feed