General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Proper running form help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-28 2:23 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: Proper running form help

I notice that there seem to be an abundant amount of good swimming form videos to be watched and learned from.  However, I am having trouble finding good answers (or videos) to what constitutes good running form.  Well, not even just good form, but the proper mechanics of the stride.

I recently saw a video of me jogging and I look more than a little like a shuffling old lady (not that there's anything wrong with that if there are any shuffling old ladies reading this!)   It looks like I could be doing something a lot better, smoother.  I don't really pick my feet up much unless I am all out running (sprinting).

So if anyone would care to help me understand proper running mechanics via comments or video links, it would be greatly appreciated!

2012-02-28 2:43 PM
in reply to: #4071053

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Proper running form help

There was a guy who won this little race in Hawaii a few times (and still kicks it at over 50!), and he has the most painful looking running mechanics I've ever seen.

So if "The man" can do it, there's probably not a lot to worry about. Relaxing will probably do you more good than anything you could pay attention to, most likely.

2012-02-28 2:51 PM

User image

Having taken a good form running class I would say focus on how your foot lands, midfoot versus a heel strike, your hand position, I was taught imagine putting your hands in your pocket and relax your shoulders, and lean from the hips. The lean will help you push off which helps with your stride.

2012-02-28 2:58 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Be prepared for a multitude of advice and non-advice...

Fundamentals are:

Don't create any braking forces
Use freely available forces first for propulsion
-elastic recoil & stored kinetic energy
-gravity
Smile

How these basics get implemented creates quite a cottage industry of running advice. Here's what I like to think about as the basics.

Land with your foot UNDER your center of gravity and not in front
Lean forward from the ankles, not the waist (don't bend forward as if slightly sitting as this adds nothing productive to your stride)
Imagine you are hamster in a wheel. Rather than reaching out infront of you wiht your foot and pulling the ground towards you, land with your foot at the bottom of the wheel and push the wheel out behind you.

Other questions we'll want answers to:
What's your running history? How often do you run? Weekly mileage? How long at this mileage? GOals?
2012-02-28 3:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

This link helps me visualize good running form:

http://www.newtonrunning.com/run-better/optimal-running-form

2012-02-28 3:10 PM
in reply to: #4071153

User image

Extreme Veteran

AdventureBear - 2012-02-28 12:58 PM Be prepared for a multitude of advice and non-advice... Fundamentals are: Don't create any braking forces Use freely available forces first for propulsion -elastic recoil & stored kinetic energy -gravity Smile How these basics get implemented creates quite a cottage industry of running advice. Here's what I like to think about as the basics. Land with your foot UNDER your center of gravity and not in front Lean forward from the ankles, not the waist (don't bend forward as if slightly sitting as this adds nothing productive to your stride) Imagine you are hamster in a wheel. Rather than reaching out infront of you wiht your foot and pulling the ground towards you, land with your foot at the bottom of the wheel and push the wheel out behind you. Other questions we'll want answers to: What's your running history? How often do you run? Weekly mileage? How long at this mileage? GOals?

this is good general advice right here. the only thing I would add once you get all of this down (especially the smiling part) is look at your cadence to see if that could help you as well.

2012-02-28 3:14 PM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
Don't over-think it. And if it's not broken, don't try to fix it. 

You got this. Seriously. Just run. 
2012-02-28 3:36 PM

User image

Runner
There's a good reason why there's a dearth of videos and texts teaching "good" running form.

Because there's no universally correct answer.

Seriously, even among elite runners, their bodies are all over the place. But it's obviously working for them.

Adventure Bear already outlined the basic guidelines I'd mention, so I won't re-hash it all. And as Bernard stated, don't overthink this. Running is less about technique and more about how you train.
2012-02-28 4:16 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Thanks for all the great advice so far, I will keep these things in mind.

Admittedly, running gets the least focus in my training because it is my least favorite.  I prefer dirt or gravel trail running to road running because of osteoarthritis in my knees, and this time of year it is tough to get out there before it gets dark.  On occasion I do run the neighborhood streets with a headlamp.  I'm really looking forward to the days when it stays light much later.  This being said, probably if I ran more it would get easier/smoother.

2012-02-28 4:27 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

I agree with the others who are saying that running form is far less of a big deal than swim form. In swimming you are moving through a very dense medium, and so much of the action is about minimizing drag forces while maximizing propulsion. And it's an activity that humans are not built for, and is not something that we've been doing since we were toddlers. Running is something that comes to humans far more naturally, and issues like minimizing drag forces are practically irrelevant (they're more relevant in biking, because the speeds are so much higher). In running, it's important to avoid unnecessary braking forces, as Suzanne points out, both because it sacrifices propulsion, and because it increases injury risk. But beyond simple things like (i) not leaning back or reaching forward for your footstrike, (ii) not slouching, and (iii) staying as relaxed as possible, your body is likely to figure out most of the rest by itself. Also, our running gait tends to change as a function of speed and body composition. We shouldn't expect to emulate Haile Gebreselassie's run form, because we're not running at his speed or with his body. 

You'll even see significant differences in running form between elite runners. For example, current women's marathon world record holder Paula Radcliffe has a long, rangy stride, whereas 1984 Olympic women's marathon champion Joan Benoit Samuelson tended to run with a much tighter stride that was closer to a (very fast) shuffle. In both cases their form is a good fit to their body types.

2012-02-29 3:52 AM

OMG !!!!!!! - i have just watched the newtons running video - i have only been running for 2 years and the whole time i have been heel striking - no wonder i find running such hard work !!! Tomorrow i will try putting the mid bit of my foot down first........

2012-02-29 6:51 AM
in reply to: #4072018

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
kye1968 - 2012-02-29 5:52 AM

OMG !!!!!!! - i have just watched the newtons running video - i have only been running for 2 years and the whole time i have been heel striking - no wonder i find running such hard work !!! Tomorrow i will try putting the mid bit of my foot down first........

I would suggest that the key take away from this thread should not be the Newton video - they are trying to market the "right" way to run when there isn't one that works for everyone.

Shane
2012-02-29 6:54 AM
in reply to: #4072018

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

kye1968 - 2012-02-29 4:52 AM OMG !!!!!!! - i have just watched the newtons running video - i have only been running for 2 years and the whole time i have been heel striking - no wonder i find running such hard work !!! Tomorrow i will try putting the mid bit of my foot down first........

I've been heal striking for more than 30 years. Take care "fixing" something that isn't broken. And be sure to increase your shoe budget if you're going to run the Newton way.

2012-02-29 9:29 PM

so should i just carry on as is - ie heel striking or should i try and change ??? i ran on the treadmill this am and tried really hard to put my mid foot down first - found it really hard to do - cos i'm so not used to running like that......
2012-02-29 10:03 PM
in reply to: #4074155

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

kye1968 - 2012-02-29 10:29 PM so should i just carry on as is - ie heel striking or should i try and change ??? i ran on the treadmill this am and tried really hard to put my mid foot down first - found it really hard to do - cos i'm so not used to running like that......

Where does your foot strike (heel, or otherwise) in relation to your center of gravity (basically, the point on the ground where you'd land if time froze and you dropped straight to the ground)?  If it is out in front of that point (i.e., you are 'reaching forward' with your leading leg), then focus on shortening your stride out front, and lengthening it out the back.  If you are already landing under your center of gravity, then unless you have some specific reason to be concerned (i.e., injury), don't worry about which part of your foot strikes first.

2012-02-29 10:55 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Read Bobby McGee's article just posted to USA Triathlon website yesterday. BryanCD put up a link to it today.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Proper running form help Rss Feed