United States
The Cowtown
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 47m 38s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up. Drove to the race site. Had Veronica in town from Lake Placid. She was going for a PR at this race. I was going to survive and to get the 4th medal in the 5 medal series.
Event warmup:

None. Stood around cold till the race started. Ha!
Run
  • 2h 47m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

So it should be stated that I went into this run woefully under trained. First, I got sick in December, for 12 days. So it took me a good 2 weeks to get my HR and pace back to where it was before I got sick. That was one strike against me. Then two weeks into January I hurt my left foot running. Weird injury. So we had to back off the miles and the training all together. Instead we went for short runs, and more frequency, along with less speed work. While my right foot still hurt (1.5 months later), I can run on it, and I have been able to deal with the pain. Oh yeah, and my longest run 1.5 months before this race, was the 8 miles I did the weekend before. Yeah.

Started out feeling OK. I was keeping my HR 150-160 BPM as my coach planned. He thought I would keep a 10:30 mm. I was having a rough day I guess, because I was keeping around a 11:00-11:30 mm in that HR zone. Oh well.

I also planned to walk the aid stations. Which should have been around a 9/1. The aid stations were not 1 mile apart. So after I realized that 1.25 miles into the race, I switched to a 9/1. This is a hilly course though, and I did have to walk up some hills just to keep my HR down.

I stuck to the race plan and kept my HR down. I needed to use the restroom really bad, but I didn't want to wait in the VERY LONG lines for the port-o-johns. I saw a washateria, went inside and used their restroom. When I left, there were a couple of men outside... English was on not their first language. Although one was able to ask me, "would you like to earn some money?" Uh, no... thanks... I need to finish the race... and I ran off.

So right after that, about 5.50 miles in, I turn a corner and start running up a hill. BAM! There is acute pain coming from my right foot. What? That's the good foot? The pain is really bad. I can barely put any weight on my foot or bend it. I have no clue what I did. I was just running like I always do. The pain was on the inside, but on top of the foot. Hard to explain.

I start limping and I have other racers asking me if I need help, if I am OK, etc. I say I'm fine... no worries. I keep limping, hoping I can work it out. One lady was kind enough to walk with me and talk to try to take my mind off it. I finally told her I was going to sit down to try to see if I could rub it out.

So I sat on the curb and pressed/rubbed on the painful area. But it didn't hurt when I did that. Odd. I figured it probably wasn't a stress fracture then. Just an odd pain.

I decide to do what I can to try to run. Walking was a no-go since I really couldn't bend my foot. I figured out if I ran on the outside of my right foot, I could manage. Of course it messed with my stride, made my left knee start hurting, etc. I was seriously worried I wasn't going to finish. There was no way I was making it another 8 ish miles in the pain I was in.

I kept pushing through, and finally after 2 miles it seemed to work itself out. Good! I then ran normally. Cool. WOW.

Miles 7.50-10 were pretty good. Then at around mile 10 the pain returned. Not as bad and I could run with it. So I kept running and walked when I needed to. Although walking hurt more, but I would walk to get my HR down.

Finally in the last .50 mile it was hurting pretty bad, but I was so pissed I just pounded it out till the end. Once I stopped walking on it was pretty bad.

Now, 2 days later it still hurts. Great. Now both my feet are freaking messed up and in pain for IM training. My body hates running. I swear.

Avg HR: 151 (recovery zone for me)
Max HR: 168 (I was allowed to let my HR go up to 160-165 the last 3 miles and I did push it the last 2 miles, thus the 168)

What would you do differently?:

You know, training more wouldn't have fixed this issue I don't think. The pain came so early on in the run, I don't think it was lack of miles. I had logged a fair amount of miles in training, just not long runs. Overall the rest of me felt fine. If my foot hadn't done what it did, I'm pretty sure I would have been on pace for a 2:30. Now, even 2 days later I'm not sore from the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line and couldn't find Jonny or Veronica. Hobbled around. Got some food and my shirt. Borrowed a couple of phones, finally got Jonny to pick up his phone after a couple of tries and found them.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Right foot pain.

Event comments:

Overall a good race. They did much better this year with where the food and race t-shirts were placed. Although it was a challenge for non-racers to move around to be with racers. Much improved over last year though.

I like Cowtown and will be back in 2013!

Last updated: 2011-11-03 12:00 AM
Running
02:47:38 | 13.1 miles | 12m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-02-28 5:40 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: The Cowtown - Half Marathon

2012-02-28 7:59 PM
in reply to: #4071467

User image

DFW, Tejas
Subject: RE: The Cowtown - Half Marathon
Holy cow that sounds like 2+ hours of misery.  Way to hang in there and finish the race.
2012-02-28 10:00 PM
in reply to: #4071684

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Oh no! I hope the new foot pain is nothing serious.  Way to stick it out.
2012-02-29 1:00 PM

User image

Veteran
I think I saw you run into the laundro-mat! Way to tough out the race. I don't remember the road having so much camber last year. I know my feet really bothered me too during this race which basically never happens.
2012-02-29 9:17 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX

Way to go hanging in there to the finish; lots of issues to overcome, but you managed.

On a lighter note; if the career as a corporate trainer doesn't work out, you can fall back on that washateria offer.

Get healed up for April.

2012-02-29 9:52 PM

User image

Master
Grand Prairie

Wow, that sounded not very enjoyable.

Glad you made it through!

2012-03-01 10:28 AM
in reply to: #4073206

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

InnerAthlete - 2012-02-29 1:00 PM I think I saw you run into the laundro-mat! Way to tough out the race. I don't remember the road having so much camber last year. I know my feet really bothered me too during this race which basically never happens.

Yeah I was going to say that too! Think we were right behind you when you bolted left. I assumed it was an emergency

Yes also on the camber of the road (I call it PITCH)... I mentioned about a billion times how I felt like I was going to fall off the side of the road and we had to consciously gravitate to the center. It was pretty bad, and got worse the more tired I got!

Proud of you for finishing! That is ROUGH, man!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Cowtown - Half Marathon Rss Feed