General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kona Lottery Deadline - Missed it? That's OK, unlike the 17 hour cutoff it's flexible Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-03-02 9:02 PM
in reply to: #4075819

New user
, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Kona Lottery Deadline - Missed it? That's OK, unlike the 17 hour cutoff it's flexible
jldicarlo - 2012-03-01 4:14 PM

And all that the backlash is doing is giving the extension publicity so that people (like me) who didn't know it was extended now know and could sign up today.

If they had just kept their mouths shut and didn't spout off all those lazy people would never have known.

Thanks for posting this and giving me the heads up to go sign up today!

Ha! Ha! I just signed up myself do to the post. Cheers to the op

2012-03-03 11:18 PM
in reply to: #4075472

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Kona Lottery Deadline - Missed it? That's OK, unlike the 17 hour cutoff it's flexible
This extension tells me they didn't get as many entries as they would have liked. The lottery deadline has always been the last day of February.

I didn't enter but might actually do it now that I know it's been extended and there are potentially fewer entrants.
2012-03-04 5:17 AM
in reply to: #4079242

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

rbalazs - 2012-03-04 1:18 AM This extension tells me they didn't get as many entries as they would have liked. The lottery deadline has always been the last day of February. I didn't enter but might actually do it now that I know it's been extended and there are potentially fewer entrants.

I doubt that.  If their numbers had been low they would have been advertising the heck out of it before the deadline.

2012-04-16 2:09 PM

User image

Expert
Savannah

Looks like this thread actually helped someone get a lottery spot.  I wonder how the OP likes them apples! Tongue out

2012-04-16 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4075819

User image

jldicarlo - 2012-03-01 10:14 AM

And all that the backlash is doing is giving the extension publicity so that people (like me) who didn't know it was extended now know and could sign up today.

If they had just kept their mouths shut and didn't spout off all those lazy people would never have known.

The irony is unreal. 

Congrats and go rock it in Kona!

2012-04-16 2:42 PM
in reply to: #4153969

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
tri808 - 2012-04-16 2:16 PM

jldicarlo - 2012-03-01 10:14 AM

The irony is unreal. 

Congrats and go rock it in Kona!

hahahahahaha

that is all

2012-04-17 9:57 AM
in reply to: #4076998

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overlea/Fullerton Maryland
Rudedog55 - 2012-03-02 11:19 AM
wannabefaster - 2012-03-02 10:42 AM
Rudedog55 - 2012-03-01 3:54 PM

Glad you finally figured that out. 

Yet all their races sell out in minutes. They are a corporation, they could give a rats patootie about you and your race, all they care about is the shareholder profits they get from all the people that "have" to do an IM branded race, because 70.3 or 140.6 is not good enough if you cant get the tattoo.

they can keep em, i will never do one of their races.

I can never figure out why people have so much vitriole towards WTC. They are a for profit corporation. They have a great product that is in demand. They would be foolish not to capitalize on it. Do people think that other large race companies don't plan on making a profit? We are lucky they aren't charging $1000/race because I think they could probably get it given the demand. (WTC, if you are reading this, please ignore that prior sentence) I think they do care about the racers and their races. Why? Because if they don't care and put out a good product then they will eventually lose market share to those that care more. That is good business too. Meeting the racer's needs helps them achieve their goals. I guess I should be happy there are so many people who will, "never do one of their races" because that gives me a better chance to get in and have a fabulous race experience. To each their own.

Very simple, A lot of race organizations have a great product, WTC is predatory, they target local races and try to directly compete to monopolize the market, so they can overcharge for a race and reap the profits for the shareholder.  While it may be good practice to have a profitable company, and i do not begrudge them for wanting to make a profit, as i do understand it is a business, I chose to not support them. I chose to support the smaller local RD's and races, as i can have as great a race experience as you.

I merely voice my opinion, and we all know about opinions, they are like butt holes everyone has one and they all stink.

so you are welcome, enjoy the spot and race, and great job at the WC last year.

Rev 3 does the same thing, its business. They also make local triathlons a better event, drawing in bigger crowds and people that will bring in more money for the town or city that is hosting the event.

2012-04-17 1:17 PM

User image

Regular
Allen, TX ( Basically North of Dallas)
All I know is that I DID sign up in time and I DID finally win a slot!!!!!!!  Now I have to figure out how to get from here to the finish!!!
2012-04-17 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4153956

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
mktoson - 2012-04-16 2:09 PM

Looks like this thread actually helped someone get a lottery spot.  I wonder how the OP likes them apples! Tongue out

Does that make you feel better?  Good for whoever got in, I still think it's bulls**t that they extended the deadline.

2012-04-17 1:41 PM
in reply to: #4156188

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Tsunami (Eddy) - 2012-04-17 1:17 PM All I know is that I DID sign up in time and I DID finally win a slot!!!!!!!  Now I have to figure out how to get from here to the finish!!!

Congratulations! In case you missed it, there was another thread that's now on page 2 and two other BT'ers made it. Good luck to you all and hope you chime in from time to time to let us know how it's going. And do a race report!

2012-04-17 2:07 PM
in reply to: #4156246

User image

Climbinggonzo - 2012-04-17 8:37 AM

Does that make you feel better?  Good for whoever got in, I still think it's bulls**t that they extended the deadline.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion.  You do have a point about setting a deadline, and then changing it. 

My question is will you do something about it...namely boycott WTC races or IM products?  Companies will do whatever they see fit to make more money until customers take their money elsewhere.

2012-04-17 2:17 PM

User image

So was there a backlash or is this it?

Slap in the face?  Really?  

it is interesting, how much you want to race (your hopes and dreams?) an event put on by such an evil money grubbing heartless corporation.  Can we assume you won't be racing any WTC events in the future?

2012-04-18 11:17 AM
in reply to: #4156246

User image

Expert
Savannah
Climbinggonzo - 2012-04-17 2:37 PM

We are a community.  You've been here a while, so have I.  Apparently I thought that a little light hearted ribbing would get a chuckle out of you. Maybe I was wrong.  But the irony in this thread is so strong you can't not smile....at least a little bit

2012-04-18 11:59 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
'ya know what?...they have also set a race date.  And if they decide at the last minute to cancel the race for whatever reason they have already reserved the right to do so, and they have already told people they won't refund their money in the event of a cancellation.  Its their race and they will do as they see fit.  Don't want to play?   Don't play.   The president of my tri club found out a few weeks ago that he has stage 4 cancer and has about a 5% chance of survival.  Kind of puts things in perspective for me about what's really worth b*tching about in the big scheme of things.
2012-04-18 12:36 PM
in reply to: #4156333

User image

Extreme Veteran
Syracuse, NY
tri808 - 2012-04-17 3:07 PM

You are certainly entitled to your opinion.  You do have a point about setting a deadline, and then changing it. 

My question is will you do something about it...namely boycott WTC races or IM products?  Companies will do whatever they see fit to make more money until customers take their money elsewhere.

IMO what should be done about it is this: anyone who b!tches about it should train and QUALIFY for it. The way I understand the lottery is that they're giving spots to people who stay loyal to their brand, not because they qualified for it by their performance. You finish 12 fulls and if you've never qualified for Kona you can enter. IMO they can do whatever they want for lottery entrants since they technically, well literally, don't have to let anyone else in that doesn't qualify. Kona is a privilege, not a right.

Do you b!tch at a car dealer when they give loyalty discounts to current customers and not to someone who doesn't own their brand now?

Also, I wonder if said b!tchers would take the high road if they missed the original cut some day and say,"I missed the original cutoff so I shouldn't sign up now even though they extended it. Which is well within the rights of the WTC." Personally, I doubt it.

2012-04-18 2:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
Eh, I think that WTC was very remiss if they didn't clearly notify and offer the option of refunding previous lottery entrants when they did this. Most of us don't have unlimited resources and do the mental calculus over every sizeable expenditure. So it is possible that for some people the shot against everyone who signed up by the original date was worth the fee, but the shot against potentially hundreds more wasn't. Then the OP could either shrug and decide it was still worth it or get his money back and put it towards a race that let him actually sign up.

2012-04-19 5:24 AM
in reply to: #4158471

User image

Regular
BooTri - 2012-04-18 12:36 PM
tri808 - 2012-04-17 3:07 PM

IMO what should be done about it is this: anyone who b!tches about it should train and QUALIFY for it. The way I understand the lottery is that they're giving spots to people who stay loyal to their brand, not because they qualified for it by their performance. You finish 12 fulls and if you've never qualified for Kona you can enter. IMO they can do whatever they want for lottery entrants since they technically, well literally, don't have to let anyone else in that doesn't qualify. Kona is a privilege, not a right.

Do you b!tch at a car dealer when they give loyalty discounts to current customers and not to someone who doesn't own their brand now?

Also, I wonder if said b!tchers would take the high road if they missed the original cut some day and say,"I missed the original cutoff so I shouldn't sign up now even though they extended it. Which is well within the rights of the WTC." Personally, I doubt it.

I think you are talking about the Legacy program.  The OP was talking about the regular lottery system.  In the Legacy program you do 12 branded IMs and you get a crack at Kona.  It's a new program.  The OP was just talking about the regular lottery system where you pay and enter a lottery and hope to be picked.  Statistics over loyalty.

jami   

2012-04-19 7:21 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Ever think about how they are nice enough to extend slots to those that don't qualify? This is a WC and if you haven't qualified to race and awarded a slot, or given the chance to be given a slot why are you complaining?

If you have a problem with this, go out and qualify!

2012-04-19 8:07 AM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN

Sorry to have caused so many hard feelings.  The point of my original post is simply I don't like it when the rules get changed halfway through the game.  And a decent argument can be made that it's greed based.  Or maybe it's not, and they truly felt bad for all those people who didn't pay attention to the same deadline that's been in place for years.  All those that say to HTFU and go qualify, we don't have to.  That's the whole point and reason for the lottery and apparently it's contractually in place from when WTC bought the world championship event in Kona.

Yes, I could just boycott their events in the future.  Maybe I had some pipe dream that if enough people were vocal with WTC that they feel they're being taken advantage of, WTC might make a better effort to work on their public image.  Contrary to the idea that as long as the dollars are flowing in they won't give a s**t, I'll bet that there's someone in their corporate ranks who sees a future where some other company might actually compete against them.

Oh well, carry on.  Time to go swim, bike or run.

2012-04-19 9:05 AM
in reply to: #4159925

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Climbinggonzo - 2012-04-19 9:07 AM

Sorry to have caused so many hard feelings.  The point of my original post is simply I don't like it when the rules get changed halfway through the game.  

I got that right off the bat and I'm with you 100%. What's the point of deadlines and cutoffs and requirements if they'll just be modified anyway? Happens at work and it irritates the crap out of me. I work in a test organization and we even have people change their pass/fail criteria to ensure a pass.

2012-04-19 10:01 AM
in reply to: #4160145

User image

Expert
CenTex
mrbbrad - 2012-04-19 9:05 AM
Climbinggonzo - 2012-04-19 9:07 AM

Sorry to have caused so many hard feelings.  The point of my original post is simply I don't like it when the rules get changed halfway through the game.  

I got that right off the bat and I'm with you 100%. What's the point of deadlines and cutoffs and requirements if they'll just be modified anyway? Happens at work and it irritates the crap out of me. I work in a test organization and we even have people change their pass/fail criteria to ensure a pass.

x3.  I'm happy for the folks that got in via the lottery.  That's the only way I'll ever race there, unless I'm still at this in 20 years and everyone else is in wheelchairs or walkers. 

That said, if a deadline doesn't hold meaning, what's the point?  As was stated earlier in the thread, if I don't make the midnight cutoff, can I ask that WTC extend that deadline, too?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kona Lottery Deadline - Missed it? That's OK, unlike the 17 hour cutoff it's flexible Rss Feed  

of 2