General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ankle pain - Confirmed not a stress fracture Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-02 11:39 AM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: Ankle pain - Confirmed not a stress fracture

Well, as confirmed as possible I suppose. Had a routine visit today and mentioned I might need an ankle x-ray. Was told that stress fractures don't show up on regular x-rays well, but there is a much more reliable method. A tuning fork. Tuned to C 128, if I get pain while it's touched to the side of the skin, there's a stress fracture. I passed. My P.A. was in the army and called it a "field X-ray."

Anyway, I had ankle pain for a couple days, then it went away. I ran 8.4 miles yesterday, with one of my best long paces ever. That afternoon, not only normal aches from a long run, but the ankle is weird again, and no better today.

I have a scheduled 7 mile trail run tomorrow I do not want to miss. With the P.A. saying no fracture and giving no warning against pressure, just advising an over-the-sock ankle brace, any reason I shouldn't tough it out?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ankle pain - Confirmed not a stress fracture Rss Feed