United States
Kirtland Air Force Base
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 12m 7s
Overall Rank = 78/189
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 15/26
Pre-race routine:

The wind woke me up the first time at 2am and it sounded like a tornado was going to hit, so I started to think about how the bike section of the race and the wind. Got out of bed at 5am and made some coffe. I had a whole wheat bagel with some peanut butter and one cup of coffee. I went through my transition bag one more time and I almost forgot my goggles. The wind was still howling pretty hard too. I packed everything into my truck and I was off to pick up Lobo.
Event warmup:

Talked with people from my training groups and then to my coach. I walked to the transition area with Lobo and set things for the race. Then an easy jog to warm up, but I ended up jogging to the bathroom right before the start of the race.
Swim
  • 12m 21s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a pool swim and I didn't very well! The first 150 went fine then I started to have panic attacks! I didn't know what was going on and I tried to breast stroke but couldn't so I flipped over and did the back stroke when I couldn't freestyle anymore. The worst part was when I only had 100 meters to go and I couldn't move from the ledge...it was wierd. I couldn't here anyone until this guy behind me was ringing a COW bell in my ear and wouldn't stop until I started to swim again. I did the last 100 pretty easily and then I was pissed off because my mind knew the end was right there and I was swimming fine? Crazy, so I know what I need to work on with my coach.
What would you do differently?:

Try and swim in a 50 meter pool or in open water.
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

This transition was from the bike to the swim.

Nothing- I thought it went pretty good.
Bike
  • 35m 21s
  • 12 miles
  • 20.37 mile/hr
Comments:

The wind was behind us on the down hills and I was able to go pretty fast, but the up hills had a strong head wind.

Have aero bars.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

This was the first transition from run to bike.

Nothing
Run
  • 21m 42s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was good but felt long. I was able to catch my breath and get into a rythm pretty quick.

Try and go faster.
Post race
Warm down:

The swim was last. My wife and son was waiting with Lobo and his family and we took pictures since this was our first Triathlon ever! Lobo and I hung out in the pool and cheered people on at the finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No being able to swim effectively! I'll get there, but it was very frustrating not being able to swim all the way. My coach knows what I need to work on, so now it's getting in the pool and getting it done.

Event comments:

I can't wait to do the swim section again next year! I was pleased with my run and bike though.

Last updated: 2006-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:21 | 437 yards | 02m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/26
Overall: 0/189
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: It was a 50 meter pool and we had to go up and down 8 times.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:33
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:21 | 12 miles | 20.37 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: This was a course that went out and back in a Y shape.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:42 | 03 miles | 07m 14s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: This was a loop course on the Air Force Base. The run was only into the wind for about .75 of a mile. Pretty flat too.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-15 8:53 PM

Albuquerque, NM
Subject: Jay Benson Triathlon

2006-05-15 11:06 PM
in reply to: #424652

User image

Expert
New Mexico
Subject: RE: Jay Benson Triathlon
Congrats on finishing your first tri. Who ordered the wind? I had some anxiety in the pool myself; I guess it happens sometimes.
2006-05-16 10:49 AM
in reply to: #424740

Albuquerque, NM
Thanks desertsix.  I can't wait for Milkman to try and do better than this one.  Are you going to Roswell for the race?
2006-05-16 11:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Kid, the Benson is always crowded and pretty much everyone hates the swim at this race. A lot of the regular athletes in the SWCS never bother to register because it is so crowded.

It looks like we'll see you at the Milkman. Don't worry, if you get discombobulated in the swim at the Milkman, even though it is open water, you can just stand up...it is that shallow! Also, there are wave starts by age group so it is not quite the slugfest that other openwater swims can be.
2006-05-16 2:38 PM
in reply to: #425081

User image

Expert
New Mexico
ABQkid - 2006-05-16 8:49 AM

Thanks desertsix.  I can't wait for Milkman to try and do better than this one.  Are you going to Roswell for the race?

Wasn't planning on Milkman. Next race is Dueces Wild X-terra in AZ and I might do the Sportz Outdoor Off Road Tri depending on workload and coinage.
2006-05-16 7:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Dude...You did great. I know you're disappointed with your swim, but Jimmy will get that fixed in no time. People better watch out, because I think you're going to tear it up at Milkman.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jay Benson Triathlon Rss Feed