Ultramax Sports
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 13s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F41-50
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got there about 40 minutes early - enough time to pick up my packet, decide which jacket to wear and wait in line for the porta-potties. It wasn't a bad morning - about 40* with a bit of a cool breeze, but at least the sun was out. I really wanted this race to go well. My run training hasn't been the best lately (mostly due I think to too many boring TM runs) and I wanted to have a good race to put me back in running mode.
Event warmup:

none - no time
Run
  • 1h 10m 13s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I did pretty well for the first half of the race. I checked my time about the 3 mile mark and was at 31:26 and feeling pretty good. Then the hills started. I had seen an elevation chart so knew there were some hills on the course but I guess I didn't expect this many or this steep. The whole second half of the course was all ups and downs, mostly on either gravel or asphalt roads. Every time I thought we were finally done with the hills, we'd turn a corner and there'd be another one! I did end up walking some of the bigger ones but tried to keep up with the running whenever I could. About the 3.5 mile mark a family of deer crossed the road in front of me. Luckily they were far enough ahead (and I was going slow enough at the time) that it wasn't an issue - just a nice sight to see on a morning run. I finally made it up the last small hill and made the turn for the finish - a downhill (yeah!) and then into the finish chute. Even with the hills I had started feeling pretty good about the 4 mile mark and had a strong finish.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe wear the lighter jacket? I had worn a slightly heavier one because of the wind but it wasn't as big of an issue as I thought it would be. Run-wise, I don't think I'd change a thing, it was a good run for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Got something to eat, picked up my finisher's glass and then headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of motivation to run lately especially on hills.

Last updated: 2011-12-31 12:00 AM
Running
01:10:13 | 06.21 miles | 11m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: some gravel trails/roads, some asphalt roads all within Innsbrook resort
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes