Set Up Events
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 35s
Overall Rank = 134/182
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/7
Pre-race routine:

I got up, I had put my bike and helmet in the car the night before and packed my bags, so I didn't have too much to do at home prior to the race. Still, somehow I futzed around for 45 minutes doing very little, but I think I just needed to ease into the morning. I checked the weather and though the temps were in the 40s (some forecasts had them in the upper 30s) it looked like the windchill would be a factor, so I made a raceday decision on clothing - tri shorts and bra top for the swim, throw on a LS shirt, vest, socks, and gloves for the bike, then lose the vest for the run. I had a blueberry muffin and some water before leaving the house. Drove down to the parking deck which took less than 10 minutes. I was feeling kind of stressed and nervous, almost teary at one point.
Event warmup:

Hauled my stuff over to transition. They had it designated by race number, which since the race numbers were in order of swim start and all of the novices were together after the age groupers, meant I was in a row of people who all had as little idea of what they were doing as I did. This immediately made me feel better. :D I set up my transition area, sucked it up and shed my clothes, and hurried inside to the pool. I swam a 50 in the diving well pool and I was glad I did, because I had to adjust my bra straps which loosened up as soon as it got wet. Swam another 50, got out, tightened the tie on my shorts as well, walked around a bit, and did a 50 in the big pool - much cooler water! Then I hung out, ate an access bar, and waited for the start.
Swim
  • 08m 25s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

The novices started with a 4 minute break after the age groupers, but several of us still passed a few of the last from the previous group. I felt pretty good - the girl who started with me was also strong, and I let her take the lead at the turn. I was also passed by a guy who started right behind me, but the three of us stuck together pretty much the whole way. I think I managed to benefit a little from drafting off those two. I ended up doing a few flip turns, and mostly open turns, depending on the situation at the wall. The end of the swim included a short run through the halls out of the rec center and through the bouldering area to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I might have managed my turns better, but we were too close together at the walls to ensure good flip turns.
Transition 1
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

Because it was so cold and windy, T1 included donning more clothing than I would have hoped. Still, I think I managed it pretty fast - quick towel off, LS shirt on, vest on. Bandana to control my hair, then helmet, and sunglasses. Socks and bike shoes. I had put some foot-warming insoles in my shoes before the swim, and they were still warm, though not hot. Gloves.

I'd say not wear so many clothes, but it was cold and I liked my clothes!
Bike
  • 52m 57s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 14.08 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike is my weakest leg so I was not expecting a lot going in. I discovered that one of the benefits of going off near the end with the novices is that I actually passed a few people (they were from the end of the age group folks), going up a hill no less! This was actually a huge confidence booster. Even when I was passed later, it was rarely someone blowing by me - I was usually able to keep them in my sights for a while. There were some pretty big uphills near the start, and I was looking forward to going down them near the end. There was one intersection that wasn't policed (or even volunteered) - the off ramp coming from Loop 10. On the way out, the light was red and I was like, do I stop? There was no traffic at that point but no one to wave me through. I slowed down but this other racer blew past me so I just went through after him.

I was feeling pretty good for the first half, then once I turned onto Whit Davis and then Old Lexington Road I was like - Oh! There is a wind! It was with me, and now it is against me! And on the first part I had been like, I could have gone with the arm-warmers/tri-top option, it's so sunny and not that cold - but once I felt that headwind with the gusts I was really happy I had gone with the long-sleeved shirt instead. There was this one guy who passed me and then sort of slowed down, but not so much that I could confidently pass him back. Later he pulled away and I didn't have to deal with him anymore.

On the way back, I was approaching the same unmanned intersection - it was a little uphill at that point and I was working, and then I looked to my right and I realized that there were cars coming off the ramp and nobody to tell them not to hit me and I had to stop right then. I couldn't get unclipped in time and had no momentum and gracefully tipped over to my right side and fell to the ground. An expletive may have escaped my lips. I had to retighten my shoes and I got myself righted and went through when the light turned. This had to be less than a mile from the bike finish (unfortunately I must have bumped the stop button on my Garmin somewhere around mile 9 so I spent a couple of miles wondering when I was going to get closer to the end, then I figured it out). My right palm (the fleshy part near the thumb) took the brunt of it and really hurts, but I didn't even notice it during the run, just after.

Not fall. Be more decisive when faced with unmanned intersections (I wasn't expecting them, though I should have the second time through). Get better with shifting, an ongoing thing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Came in and there was another bike over my stuff, not blocking it but where my bike would have been. That's ok - a kickstand comes in really handy and I just put it in next to it as best I could. I remembered to take my helmet off, yay! A little slow to get my bike shoes off, but running shoes on and number belt on were good. Also, vest off.

Not fumble with my bike shoes so much.
Run
  • 25m 51s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

It seems I have a complete inability to regulate my speed coming off my bike into the run. I took off pretty fast (no Garmin, just a sports watch, so I didn't have instant pace info) and was breathing pretty hard when I saw my family at a turn in the path. When I didn't see them during transition I thought maybe they hadn't made it to the site in time, and when I saw them just after the start of the run I started to get choked up, which on top of my ragged breathing made me quite the sight. I got past them and then started to get it together and fell into a good hard 5K pace. I had no idea how fast I was going but it felt right.

I got caught up behind another runner about 2/3 of the way in, I probably followed her for a minute or two before the path gave me a good chance to pass. In retrospect I doubt I lost much time hanging behind her - as a devotee of run/walk for longer distances the easier pace here probably served the same recovery function as a walk break and let me finish strong. My family was by the finish line (I was ready for them this time!) and I pushed through to the end. My run time was just about 8 seconds slower than my 5K PR, which is a little amazing to me. I actually ended up winning the women's novice division and got a cool pint glass!

I need to work on my pace coming out of transition - it was ok today for a sprint/5K and I got it under control, but my next tri is an Olympic and I don't want to blow up during a 10K. At the time I wished I had found a way to pass that runner sooner, but I think now I probably didn't lose much if any by waiting. I couldn't have asked for a better time.
Post race
Warm down:

Umm, nothing. Usually I try to walk for a few minutes, but I just got a water and found my family. I did end up walking back and forth a few times between the transition area and where my family was hanging out, but not my usual warm-down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I could shave some time off in transition, but mainly my thing to work on is the bike, bike, bike. It's a slow process but I do think I'm improving. At some point I'll get a new bike, but I think I'm going to make myself earn it.

Event comments:

This was the perfect race for me as my first tri - close to home, pool swim. My stress level beforehand was elevated just due to the newness factor, and my feeling of accomplishment afterward was high. The organization was good, the course well-manned (except for one ill-fated intersection on my part) and well-marked. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and I look forward to doing this one again!

Last updated: 2012-01-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:25 | 437 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/7
Overall: 87/182
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 400 meters serpentine in a 50m pool. Started two swimmers every 10 seconds. First all of the collegiate athletes went, then all of the age group/athena/clydesdale, then the novices, then the late registrants. So I actually started at 8:24:20am.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:54
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:52:57 | 12.43 miles | 14.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/7
Overall: 155/182
Performance:
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: River Road to College Station, right on Barnett Shoals, left to stay on Barnett Shoals, left on Whit Davis, left on Old Lexington Road, right back onto Barnett Shoals to close the lollipop and back to campus. Much of the course was recently resurfaced and nice and smooth.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:51 | 03.11 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 106/182
Performance: Good
Course: Nice run about half on paved paths and half on gravel trails near the IM fields.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-03-04 8:41 PM

User image

New user
Athens, GA
Subject: Early Bird Sprint Triathlon

2012-03-05 10:18 AM
in reply to: #4080075

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: Early Bird Sprint Triathlon
Awesome pint glass for your first!!! Way to haul on the run, so close to a standalone pr is cool. Congrats!
2012-03-06 8:15 AM
in reply to: #4080075

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Subject: RE: Early Bird Sprint Triathlon
Congrats on getting on the podium in your first race! Even with a fall! Rock Star!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Early Bird Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed