General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint for first-timer around NYC? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-05 12:02 AM

User image

New user

New York
Subject: Sprint for first-timer around NYC?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and triathlon, and am looking for a first sprint to register around the New York City area for the summer. I just started learning to swim, so either in-door or calm water would be best. I've done a couple of marathons, and really enjoy trail running, so scenic races would be a great plus as well. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestion. Look forward to becoming a triathlete.

2012-03-05 8:31 AM
in reply to: #4080230

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Sprint for first-timer around NYC?
Welcome to the NY forum and to the sport!
Here are a few ideas:
Check to see if Jackrabbit Sports is still running their indoor triathlon series. It’s not exactly comparable to an outdoor race, but it’s a fun event and a good pre-season gauge of your fitness level.

The Flat as a Pancake Sprint in Staten Island is a great beginner’s race. You can reach it via mass transit, the swim is only 30y or so off shore in fairly shallow water, and the bike and run are, you guessed it, flat as a pancake. The race is sometimes in June and sometimes in July.

The Long Island Gold Coast tri has its supporters and it’s a very popular race with beginners. Personally, I find it to be very poorly run and crowded to the point of being unsafe. If you’re not a confident cyclist, I’d stay away.

The New Jersey State Tri near Princeton is fun and it’s in a nice area. It’s also a completely flat course through a park and the bike course has some scenic stretches.

Check out trifind.com. Lots of good info on there.
2012-03-08 6:23 AM

User image

Regular
Bronx
In addition to the above, which are all good suggestions, check out the New York Road Runners website (the people who put on the NYC Marathon) and see if they are still putting on their sprint tri, which is usually in July or August. It's a little pricey and not otherwise remarkable, but it's a pool swim and a flat course.
2012-03-15 7:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY

A good resource is http://nytc.org/calender.cfm.  The races they put on are fun, well run, and the fees are reasonable.  You also save $12 in that they don't require USAT membership.  They don't put on indoor tri's that I know of.  If you are looking for something early season, there is a May 20 sprint at Harriman State Park (off the Palisades). 

Happy racing

2012-03-16 5:25 AM

User image

Elite
I second the recommendation to look at trifind.com. they may not list every race but a lot of them . Just be sure to list ny and nj. If you would come to long island we have a few out here.
2012-03-17 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Massapequa, NY

eventpower on long island puts on some decent events, including the smith point tri in Augist (course is a bit boring, but fairly easy and a rather short swim in non-threatening salt water bay side) and the MightyMan Montauk triathlon in october is fantastic (though swimming in Fort Pond can get pretty hairy and choppy if there is weather a day or 2 before the race).

As for pool swims, i think there is something called a mini-mighty man or something at Eisenhower in late April, also i think run by eventpower LI.

2012-03-18 9:42 PM

I just signed up for the The New Jersey State Tri. Looks like a nice event with many casual participants, the race contact has been very responsive in answering any and all questions as well.
2012-03-25 12:01 AM

User image

New user

New York
Thanks so much for the suggestions!
2012-04-09 11:19 AM

Hi - I am a newbie too and am doing a mini sprint on 4-22 in Eisenhower park in Long Island. Its a 400m swim, 6 mile bike and 2 mile run.  And the swim is in the pool  So, check it out and sign up - its a good one for beginners and its mostly flat. Here is the link - http://www.trifind.com/re_65853/MiniMightyManTriathlonApril2012.html

I am also going to beginner tri clinic this satruday at eisenhower park too - its run by event power too.

Good luck!

2012-04-11 6:02 AM

My advice to beginners is to take a deep cleansing breath and release, repeat. Sounds like you know what you need. Ride your bike outside as much as often as you can. I will not worry about distance or speed right now. Just be as comfortable as you can handle your bike. Be careful and have fun.

American Football in India

2012-04-12 5:08 PM

User image

Expert
New York

SBR (tri store in NYC) hosts sprint tris in Harriman. The bike has one kinda mean uphill slog, but the swim is in a lake and the run is flat. They used to be in August, but now it appears to be May 5th!

http://www.sbrshop.com/index.php/triathlons

2012-06-21 11:34 AM

New user

my first ever try many moons ago was the Montauk Lighthouse Sprint in July. Swim is in Long Island Sound, not too choppy but on pretty beach. Ride is also pretty, with some hills but not overly so. And the run is nice with some trails.

Only caveat is that there are two transition areas. You must get your swim and bike stuff to the swim area (Gin beach) and then the bike exits up by the lighhouse where you start and finish the run.  Montauk is an awesome town, and the lighthouse is a truly beautiful spot.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint for first-timer around NYC? Rss Feed