Athens, Georgia
United States
Set Up Events
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = W 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Race morning Joel(hubby) and I woke up and headed to the race site. It was COLD! 45 degrees! We set up transition in record time. We had no sherpa since we were both racing so we had to take off our layers and jackets and leave them in our bags in transition before heading to the pool area. At this point I was really happy it was a pool swim tri, it was nice and warm in the natatorium.
Event warmup:

Stretching
Swim
  • 10m 32s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

In the swim line, Joel started 10 seconds before me. I jumped in and started my swim. I could tell all my extra swimming has paid off. I wasn't fast, but it felt smooth, and before I knew it the swim was over and I was headed into transition
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I am not a strong swimmer, but I have been working on it and this was good for me
Transition 1
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

T1 was just COLD. Joel was already there. I put on my cycling shoes, helmet, put my arm warmers around my wrists like bracelets so I could pull them up once my arms dried, grabbed my bike, and told Joel I'd see him out there

Nothing
Bike
  • 40m 4s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 18.61 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike started with a hill, but my adrenaline was pumping so I made it up that first hill without a hitch. After that hill I was able to pull up my arm warmers and felt better with that warmth. The course continued going up and down with the hills. Since it was a sprint tri I was able to stay in the big ring and stand up and hammer to get up the hills, I don't do this on long races, but on a short race for me its fine. On the descents and flats I was able to get in a nice tuck and aero position, I felt fast! After about mile 6 I could hardly feel my feet anymore, it was so cold, but I was still able to keep my power up. I ended up having the 3rd fastest bike split out of all the women.

Nothing, I was proud of myself for doing so well with the hills, I have no hills to train on here in pancake land
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

T2 was rough because I couldn't feel my feet. I got my bike shoes off and struggled to get my running shoes on because my feet were so cold and numb. Managed to get the running shoes on, took the helmet off, put on the running hat and race belt. I kept my arm warmers on since it was so cold

bought toe warmers
Run
  • 24m 8s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

he run started with a hill, I am glad this hill was at the very beginning, it was fairly steep, and I knew that I would be running down this hill on the way back to the finish line. As I was running up this hill I spotted Joel finishing up the bike course, so I knew he would be close behind. For the first mile I couldn't feel my feet and it felt like I was running with my feet encased in 2 ice blocks. At about the half way point of the run, the course switched to a trail run which was fun. At this point I could feel my feet so I was starting to pick up the pace. The run left the trail with about a half mile to go. Had a nice run down that hill that was at the start of the run, and made the turn into the finisher's chute

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

My friend Bill was already at the finish line with his daughter. He had a good race and finished in 1:11:11. Chatted with him for awhile about the race and we waited for Joel. Joel came in finishing strong at 1:20:41. Having the right gear this time and all the training he has been doing has really paid off, he improved his time from September by over 20 minutes, and that was a flat course. I was really proud of him.We waited for our friend Paul to finish. Paul also finished strong at 1:39:56, and since this was his first tri, crossing that finish line meant he is now officially a triathlete. Great race with great friends!

I won my age group, women 25-29, which surprised me a lot because I am not a strong hill climber

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The cold temperatures

Event comments:

Setup events always put on great races!

Last updated: 2012-02-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:32 | 400 meters | 02m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 50 M pool
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:08
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:04 | 12.43 miles | 18.61 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Some hills around Athen close to UGA
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:24:08 | 03.11 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Course: Asphalt with some trail running
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-03-05 9:56 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Subject: Early Bird Sprint Triathlon

2012-03-05 10:10 AM
in reply to: #4080666

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: Early Bird Sprint Triathlon
Nice bike! Ha! That was too funny. Awesome job out there! Congrats on the win. Great to meet you and Joel.
2012-03-05 12:10 PM
in reply to: #4080666

User image

New user
Athens, GA
Great job! Every brick I've done in training has been so cold it ended with that blocks of ice feeling. Then I was at Academy and saw the foot warming insoles and thought I'd give them a try. They kept my feet just warm enough during the bike (they started to get chilly right near the end) that the run felt almost normal compared to training. Though, it would be nice if I never had an occasion to use that trick again. 
2012-03-06 7:49 AM
in reply to: #4080705

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas

fattyfatfat - 2012-03-05 11:10 AM Nice bike! Ha! That was too funny. Awesome job out there! Congrats on the win. Great to meet you and Joel.

Was great meeting you, although I must say, your username DOES NOT fit your actual appearance!

2012-03-06 7:52 AM
in reply to: #4080967

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas

paxsarah - 2012-03-05 1:10 PM Great job! Every brick I've done in training has been so cold it ended with that blocks of ice feeling. Then I was at Academy and saw the foot warming insoles and thought I'd give them a try. They kept my feet just warm enough during the bike (they started to get chilly right near the end) that the run felt almost normal compared to training. Though, it would be nice if I never had an occasion to use that trick again. 

Thanks! Funny this was, the day before the race we were at a cycling shop in Athens buying Joel a tri suit, I was kicking myself during the bike leg for not picking up toe warmers at the shop while we were there the day before. At least I know for the next cold race that this is a need to have item. Those foot warming insoles sound great too! Maybe a combo of both would be best.........

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Early Bird Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed