General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who's tried Brooks Pure Cadence? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-05 3:53 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus
Subject: Who's tried Brooks Pure Cadence?

After 6 years in Adrenalines, the change to the 11's was enough to give me blisters.  (Why mess with a good thing, Brooks???)  Anyway, I went to the running store and every shoe I try feels awful.  I ended up with Saucony Pro Grid Guide 5 and it feels like I'm wearing shoe boxes on my feet --it was the best choice at the time.

I will be returning the Saucony's, but I never asked about the PureCadence when I was there.  So, before I go back to the store, what are your opinions?  I'm training for a HM, Olys, and an HIM... all distances I have successfully done before. I have even podiumed in the tris...

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

2012-03-05 7:23 PM
in reply to: #4081508

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Subject: RE: Who's tried Brooks Pure Cadence?

Full disclosure, I am a novice runner/triathlete. I bought a pair right before the holidays, just because I was interested in a minimalist shoe and my LRS recommened them.  I also currently train in a pair of Mizuno Wave Rider 12s and also have used Saucony Pro Grid Triumph 7.  I have a heavy footstirke and thought the Brooks would help me onto my midfoot.

Bottom line for me, I love them.  They are so much lighter than the other shoes and fit my foot well.  They did warn me to go slow breaking them in by doing only a mile, then 1.5 up to 3 or 4 miles as there is some concern about stressing your achilles and calf.  I have done up to 5, but these are mostly used for my tempo runs of 4 miles or less.  I feel faster in them and my running feels more efficient and turnover quicker.  I aslo am training for a HM on 3/18 so my run fitness may have something to do with it.  When I go to the store to pick up my HM packet, I am going to ask if I can start going longer in them, say up to 6 miles.  Not sure I am ready for the true "barefoot" type shoes yet.  

2012-03-06 12:02 AM

User image

Concord, CA
Tried them and did not like them. Sure they are light, but for me that came at a cost. Traction was not very good when running on wet pavement or coming down a trail. I was running in the Vibrams for a couple of months so the transition was easy. The tongue also shifted to the side after just a few minutes of running. To each his own. If there is a Roadrunner Sports near you, try them for 90 days. Best of luck.
2012-03-06 8:07 AM
in reply to: #4082108

User image

Expert
C-bus

living2tri - 2012-03-06 1:02 AM Tried them and did not like them. Sure they are light, but for me that came at a cost. Traction was not very good when running on wet pavement or coming down a trail. I was running in the Vibrams for a couple of months so the transition was easy. The tongue also shifted to the side after just a few minutes of running. To each his own. If there is a Roadrunner Sports near you, try them for 90 days. Best of luck.

Yeah.  That's where I purchased mine.  I'm familiar with the tongue issue.  Every pair of shoes I've had from Brooks do that.  Annoying, but everything else [usually] worked well...  I'm going to give my current new pair one more shot on the treadmill today...

2012-03-07 1:40 PM

User image

Pro

they are not 'minimalist' shoes.  they have a nice little bit of support.  so, if you're in the Guide's, probably enough for you.  They also have some fine forefoot cushion and good flexibility.  But, they're a very low drop shoe.  4mm I think.  So, your body will need to adapt to them.

If you're willing to go through the process- go for it.  They feel pretty cool.

2012-03-07 2:11 PM

User image

Master
Grand Prairie

I have Adrenalins in size 14 and in size 15.

So I am not sure if I can fit comfortable in Pure Cadence as they only go up to size 14

2012-03-17 12:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Irvine, California
I've only ran in my Brooks PureCadence twice, but I really like them.  Make it a good transition though, because I went straight into it and hurt my foot bc my body wasn't used to them.  But they are super comfortable and love to run in them...both times haha
2012-03-18 11:17 AM

User image

Master

I use these and the Adrenalines interchangeably.  Love the shoes.  Great race day shoes - just did a HM in my pair with no issues (other than my own lack of fitness). 

Highly recommended.

2012-04-12 2:02 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Wow.  Just wow.

Just purchased, thanks to your glowing recommendations to my question.  Had a long run in my asics yesterday-- I'm a little sore today.

Just rode for 1 hour in the basement and thought I'd go for a quick run afterwards in the new PC.  Toes are happy, feet are smiling. 

Wow. 

Thanks for your input!!!!!

2012-04-12 3:15 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
I found the entire Pure line to be too narrow in the forefoot. YMMV.
2012-04-15 7:07 PM
in reply to: #4146911

User image

Master

Word on the street is that the PureFlows are wider in the forefoot than that Pure Cadence. 

I have wide feet.  I am a woman and wear a D-width (wide for women or a regular men's) shoe, so I chose to buy men's PureFlows and they fit me fine in the forefoot.  In fact, I could argue that they are slightly longer and wider than the D-width Brooks Ghosts (which do have a lace holder to keep the tongue from moving).  The PureFlows even have a nice bunion window if that is an issue for you (it is for me). 

If you want more info on the PureFlows or other Brooks shoes, please feel free to PM me.  I am a neutral runner, so my experience goes that way, but I can point you in the control direction if necessary.

2012-05-18 11:54 AM

Hi All - I picked up a pair at the end of March and as recommended I cut my mileage down for a bout a week just to get used to what I think they call the "drop".  Apparently there is a significant difference in drop between the Brooks Ravenna 2 I was accustomed to wearing.

Since I've run an "official half-marathon" in them and many other longer distances runs totaling about 150 miles to date.  I love them, I did recently notice that they might not handle well on wet surfaces when I lost traction when running on the Golden Gate in SF.  

I was a Ravenna "fan boy" I loved them, but after they moved to 3rd series I decided it might be time to try something a little different.  Glad I did... I am not sure I would consider them minimalist in comparison to vibrams or others out there, but they are definitely super light.

My two cents...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who's tried Brooks Pure Cadence? Rss Feed