Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » Choosing an Open Water for this summer Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-05 4:31 PM

User image

Subject: Choosing an Open Water for this summer

Hi all.  I am determined to do my first open water this summer.  Was thinking Chapparel as it is right next door to me and August should make it the "warmest" part of summer.  BUT it is the weekend before Strathmore which I am signed up for.  Any opinions on if that is too close?  How do the open water races compare?  (ie: Chestermere, Joes Team?)

I am a beginner with just a Try A Tri and Strathmore under my belt last summer. 

Thanks

2012-03-06 8:24 AM
in reply to: #4081583

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Subject: RE: Choosing an Open Water for this summer
purestone - 2012-03-05 3:31 PM

Hi all.  I am determined to do my first open water this summer.  Was thinking Chapparel as it is right next door to me and August should make it the "warmest" part of summer.  BUT it is the weekend before Strathmore which I am signed up for.  Any opinions on if that is too close?  How do the open water races compare?  (ie: Chestermere, Joes Team?)

I am a beginner with just a Try A Tri and Strathmore under my belt last summer. 

Thanks

Its never too close in my opinion!! Honestly, depends on your fitness levels and what you are trying to get out of it. As a relative beginner, I would do both. Get a wetsuit and get in some swims prior to whichever open water race you sign up for. I've never done chapparral, but i've heard the bike it justs small loops in the cummunity. Chestermere is supposed to be nice. Chinook at Midnapore is close too. But shortest is Olympic. Wasa near cranbrook in June would be warm.

Good luck this year!

2012-03-10 9:15 AM

User image

Regular

I did Chestermere for my first open water race.  It was nice.  Not amazing, but nice.  There were a couple people doing the swim without a wetsuit, which I thought was crazy.  With a wetsuit though, it was quite comfortable.

I will say that some people had a problem with the weeds.  There are a LOT of them.  They do have a machine that cuts the weeds down a couple days before.  I'm tall (5'11) and I almost never touched them, but you see them the whole time.

I also did Banff, and I will say that race is SPECTACULAR.  The water is COLD though, so you need to be prepared for that.

2012-03-12 4:14 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta

I did Lake Chapparel Sprint and Strathmore women's last year! I didnt think it was too close together. Both are great races. Lake Chapparel is a really warm lake and the course is decent, the bike has a nice hill you have to do 2x and a bit of rough road for a km but it's not bad at all. THe run is around the community.

Another really nice ows tri is Natural High Tri sprint triathlon in Okotoks at crystal lakes,its in the beginning of July and it's only 500m and a nice course too. Small # of competitors as well so not alot of thrashing in the water!

2012-03-13 10:20 AM
in reply to: #4092811

User image

I had not heard of the Okotoks one.  But it does look good.  I see there was about 100 registered last year.  Sounds more like my speed.  Was it well organized?  and enjoyable?  I am not that competitive, except with myself that is why I enjoyed the Leaping Dog races last year as they have a great atmosphere. 
2012-03-13 9:42 PM
in reply to: #4093997

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
Yes it was well put together, it was the first time Natural high tri had ran it as it was done by people the years before..... They even allowed you to swim in the lake the thurs/fri/sat before the race which was nice!The lake is very clean and the course is two loops which makes it look not so intimidating!!  The bike is a 2 loop course, a nice big downhill and a semi-big uphill that you do 2x. The run is a very flat run through the residential pathways. The shirts were nice and the race started on time with the females first and the males not until I think most the females were done. Last year however they did not have the other distances so i'm not sure that they will do that this year. I would totally do it again but i'm doing Great white north on Canada day weekend so it doesnt fit in for me.

2012-03-14 9:31 AM
in reply to: #4095203

User image

Thanks for the information. I think you have sealed it for me.  I am going to do the Okotoks one instead of Chapparel.  Looks like a more low key way for me to try the open water. 

I really appreciate the help you have now made my summer less stressful

2012-04-28 3:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Chapparel will be warmer than other Calgary area races but the Edmonton race is usually pretty warm as well (smaller lake). Its worth the trip and you can stick around and watch a word cup sprint race as well.

http://edmontontriathlon.org/
2012-06-06 9:19 PM

New user

Lake Chapparel was my first OWS tri and I did the olympic distance and it was great.  Warm, clean, clear, calm water.  So much different than I was used to practicing in.  I say do both!
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » Choosing an Open Water for this summer Rss Feed