Subject: RE: The BT Garden Thread
Nice Josh!  What are you going to make?

2013-08-25 4:22 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Elite
Boise
Most of the time we just bake our veggies. I also end up eating tomatoes with everything right now since we get a bowl a day easy.
2013-08-25 5:22 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by JoshR Most of the time we just bake our veggies. I also end up eating tomatoes with everything right now since we get a bowl a day easy.
Right? We're doing the same thing with the tomatoes, and I'm not over it yet.  In season tomatoes and sweet corn have got to be some of the best stuff ever:)
2013-08-25 8:21 PM

User image

Master
Beijing
I saw a recipe for Tomato Lemonade the other day... I'd try it!
2013-08-25 8:51 PM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by moondawg14 I saw a recipe for Tomato Lemonade the other day... I'd try it!
That sounds interesting...I'd try it too.  Link?  I like trying things in different ways like that.  It's not always a win, but sometimes it totally works.  I used peaches instead of tomatoes in caprese salad tonight--totally works!
2013-08-25 9:10 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Pro
Originally posted by JoshR

Most of the time we just bake our veggies. I also end up eating tomatoes with everything right now since we get a bowl a day easy.

Veggies grilled with a little balsamic vinegar and olive oil are delicious. Oh, I am drowning in basil. Drinking lemonade with basil and vodka while sitting in the yard as I type.

2013-08-25 9:15 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Pro

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly
Originally posted by JoshR Most of the time we just bake our veggies. I also end up eating tomatoes with everything right now since we get a bowl a day easy.
Veggies grilled with a little balsamic vinegar and olive oil are delicious. Oh, I am drowning in basil. Drinking lemonade with basil and vodka while sitting in the yard as I type.

No dude....you're drinking vodka with lemonade and basil. Laughing

2013-08-25 9:22 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
My summer crops are just about done. This week I'm going to remove most of the summer plants and start seeding for fall. I'm going to do radishes, swiss chard, roquette, kohlrabi and some beets. I missed the window for pumpkins- the kids were bummed.
2013-08-25 9:30 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

That sounds tasty.

Get your pesto on, brotha!

And since you like the spicy mustard, I have a great mustard recipe for you, if you want it.  Do you cook, Brian?

2013-08-26 3:28 AM

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by switch
Originally posted by moondawg14 I saw a recipe for Tomato Lemonade the other day... I'd try it!
That sounds interesting...I'd try it too.  Link?  I like trying things in different ways like that.  It's not always a win, but sometimes it totally works.  I used peaches instead of tomatoes in caprese salad tonight--totally works!

I didn't save the link, as I have no tomatoes.   And, I've never tried it, so I have no real recommendations.

As such, please view my smart-alec reply.

Which will take you to some recipes. :^)

2013-08-26 3:31 AM
in reply to: mcgilmartin

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by mcgilmartin My summer crops are just about done. This week I'm going to remove most of the summer plants and start seeding for fall. I'm going to do radishes, swiss chard, roquette, kohlrabi and some beets. I missed the window for pumpkins- the kids were bummed.

do you have a compost pile?   I have a fool-proof pumpkin plan, developed after one year of buying pumpkins.

Step 1: Throw pumpkins in the compost pile in November.

Step 2: There is no step 2.

We grew lots of pumpkins, squash, and some sort of ugly hybrid this way.  We had 3 years of them via this method.   My cousin living my house this year didn't mess with compost, so we didn't have any this year at home. 

2013-08-26 6:58 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by moondawg14

I didn't save the link, as I have no tomatoes.   And, I've never tried it, so I have no real recommendations.

As such, please view my smart-alec reply.

Which will take you to some recipes. :^)

I thought maybe you saw one you liked, punk ;P

2013-08-26 8:19 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Left Brain

No dude....you're drinking vodka with lemonade and basil. Laughing

Guilty, officer

Just trying to hang on to those last summer nights before school starts back up and the days get shorter and colder.
2013-08-26 8:23 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

That sounds tasty.

And since you like the spicy mustard, I have a great mustard recipe for you, if you want it.  Do you cook, Brian?

When you say cook, you mean food, right?

My son is in his last year of college for Culinary Arts, so I have a live-in chef who is actually trained to cook. I'm more of a hack but I enjoy it a lot and since life at my house mostly revolves around food, have learned a fair amount. The recipe would be great to have. Seared tuna with mustard and peppercorns?

Edited by BrianRunsPhilly 2013-08-26 8:24 AM
2013-08-26 9:24 AM

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by moondawg14

Originally posted by mcgilmartin My summer crops are just about done. This week I'm going to remove most of the summer plants and start seeding for fall. I'm going to do radishes, swiss chard, roquette, kohlrabi and some beets. I missed the window for pumpkins- the kids were bummed.

do you have a compost pile?   I have a fool-proof pumpkin plan, developed after one year of buying pumpkins.

Step 1: Throw pumpkins in the compost pile in November.

Step 2: There is no step 2.

We grew lots of pumpkins, squash, and some sort of ugly hybrid this way.  We had 3 years of them via this method.   My cousin living my house this year didn't mess with compost, so we didn't have any this year at home. 

That's where those 2 acorn squash in my picture came from.
2013-08-26 6:25 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
I do- thanks for the tip. I'll throw our halloween pumpkins in it and see what happens. It's kind of a useless plant, but the kids thought it would be cool to grow their jack-o-lanterns.

2013-08-26 7:28 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

I thought maybe you saw one you liked, punk ;P

don't stick that thing out at me, unless you intend to use it.

2013-08-27 7:08 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

That sounds tasty.

When you say cook, you mean food, right? My son is in his last year of college for Culinary Arts, so I have a live-in chef who is actually trained to cook. I'm more of a hack but I enjoy it a lot and since life at my house mostly revolves around food, have learned a fair amount. The recipe would be great to have. Seared tuna with mustard and peppercorns?

Brian, you have a live-in chef?!  Jeez, that's the kinda of scenario that makes you want to have your kid take 5 years to graduate.

I don't know if this mustard would be good with seared tuna, but if you try it, let me know.  I think of it as a great mustard for sandwiches, and it makes the best deviled eggs evvah.

1 cup (~ 2 cans) of Coleman's Dry Mustard

1 cup of cider vinegar

Mix in the top of a double boiler and let it sit for two hours.

Add:

2 egg yolks

1 cup of sugar

2 t salt

Beat over medium heat on the double boiler until thick.

2013-08-27 8:16 AM

User image

Pro

That sounds tasty.

When you say cook, you mean food, right? My son is in his last year of college for Culinary Arts, so I have a live-in chef who is actually trained to cook. I'm more of a hack but I enjoy it a lot and since life at my house mostly revolves around food, have learned a fair amount. The recipe would be great to have. Seared tuna with mustard and peppercorns?

Brian, you have a live-in chef?!  Jeez, that's the kinda of scenario that makes you want to have your kid take 5 years to graduate.

I don't know if this mustard would be good with seared tuna, but if you try it, let me know.  I think of it as a great mustard for sandwiches, and it makes the best deviled eggs evvah.

1 cup of cider vinegar

Add:

2 egg yolks

1 cup of sugar

2 t salt

5 years? Good grief, are you forgetting the tuition bill??? TANSTAAFL, literally

Want to laugh? He lives with me, but their dorms are restored mansions with full kitchens. And you know what a house full of chefs eat? Ramen noodles and takeout. They are too tired to cook.

Have you tried making that mustard with less sugar? It does sound good, I'm just *that way*.
2013-08-27 10:12 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

That sounds tasty.

1 cup of cider vinegar

Add:

2 egg yolks

1 cup of sugar

2 t salt

5 years? Good grief, are you forgetting the tuition bill??? TANSTAAFL, literally :) Want to laugh? He lives with me, but their dorms are restored mansions with full kitchens. And you know what a house full of chefs eat? Ramen noodles and takeout. They are too tired to cook. Have you tried making that mustard with less sugar? It does sound good, I'm just *that way*.

Ramen? Really? Understandable, but very dissapointing.

I haven't tried making it with less sugar, but I'm sure that would be fine.  It was my grandmother's recipe, and I don't fach around with that stuff--some things are sacred, you know?

I'm sure you could cut it by half and it would still be g2g.  I think my Mom may have even made it with Splenda once....*shudder*.

2013-08-27 10:20 AM

User image

Pro

That sounds tasty.

1 cup of cider vinegar

Add:

2 egg yolks

1 cup of sugar

2 t salt

5 years? Good grief, are you forgetting the tuition bill??? TANSTAAFL, literally Want to laugh? He lives with me, but their dorms are restored mansions with full kitchens. And you know what a house full of chefs eat? Ramen noodles and takeout. They are too tired to cook. Have you tried making that mustard with less sugar? It does sound good, I'm just *that way*.

I haven't tried making it with less sugar, but I'm sure that would be fine.  It was my grandmother's recipe, and I don't fach around with that stuff--some things are sacred, you know?

I'm sure you could cut it by half and it would still be g2g.  I think my Mom may have even made it with Splenda once....*shudder*.

I was disappointed to hear that too. I had visions of elegant meals, but after seeing my sons eat I realize that quantity has a quality all it's own. Don't knock Splenda, I use it a lot, just not for baking. I will try your recipe and see if I think it's too sweet or not.

Back to gardening. I transplanted my Celeste Fig to a bigger container and it is not very happy with me. Dropping leaves and figs, and I did exactly what the fig forum said to do. My next-door neighbor's tree reaches to their second floor balcony. Some of it is hanging over the fence, does that make any fruit there mine? I am going to ask him for a cutting, obviously their tree is healthy.

2013-08-27 10:35 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

That sounds tasty.

1 cup of cider vinegar

Add:

2 egg yolks

1 cup of sugar

2 t salt

5 years? Good grief, are you forgetting the tuition bill??? TANSTAAFL, literally :) Want to laugh? He lives with me, but their dorms are restored mansions with full kitchens. And you know what a house full of chefs eat? Ramen noodles and takeout. They are too tired to cook. Have you tried making that mustard with less sugar? It does sound good, I'm just *that way*.

I was disappointed to hear that too. I had visions of elegant meals, but after seeing my sons eat I realize that quantity has a quality all it's own. Don't knock Splenda, I use it a lot, just not for baking. I will try your recipe and see if I think it's too sweet or not. Back to gardening. I transplanted my Celeste Fig to a bigger container and it is not very happy with me. Dropping leaves and figs, and I did exactly what the fig forum said to do. My next-door neighbor's tree reaches to their second floor balcony. Some of it is hanging over the fence, does that make any fruit there mine? I am going to ask him for a cutting, obviously their tree is healthy.

Don't give up on your fig tree yet.  Ficus are really sensitive to changes in conditions.  It's pouting a bit, but I bet yours will be  OK. 

Would it work to take a cutting from a fig tree?  Are they grafted? 

2013-08-27 12:08 PM
in reply to: 0

New user

That sounds tasty.

1 cup of cider vinegar

Add:

2 egg yolks

1 cup of sugar

2 t salt

5 years? Good grief, are you forgetting the tuition bill??? TANSTAAFL, literally Want to laugh? He lives with me, but their dorms are restored mansions with full kitchens. And you know what a house full of chefs eat? Ramen noodles and takeout. They are too tired to cook. Have you tried making that mustard with less sugar? It does sound good, I'm just *that way*.

I was disappointed to hear that too. I had visions of elegant meals, but after seeing my sons eat I realize that quantity has a quality all it's own. Don't knock Splenda, I use it a lot, just not for baking. I will try your recipe and see if I think it's too sweet or not.

Back to gardening. I transplanted my Celeste Fig to a bigger container and it is not very happy with me. Dropping leaves and figs, and I did exactly what the fig forum said to do. My next-door neighbor's tree reaches to their second floor balcony. Some of it is hanging over the fence, does that make any fruit there mine? I am going to ask him for a cutting, obviously their tree is healthy.

Give it lots of water, it will come out of shock fairly soon. Did you add any fertilizer when you transplanted?

Edited by NXS 2013-08-27 12:09 PM
2013-09-01 8:46 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Elite
Reno
Let the preserving begin. Big pot of ratatouille on the Steve for the freezer.

Farmers market California peaches + my basil + ginger + coriander + some lovin' care = 7 jars of preserves.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (30KB - 13 downloads)
2013-09-01 8:52 PM
in reply to: bootygirl

User image

Elite
Reno
I have had more pest issues this year than normal. First there were aphids on my kale - washed them away ok. Then the squash bugs, which was a first for me. Killed them, squashed the eggs. Then I lost one cucumber plant to powdery mildew (in N Nevada?!). Had some more aphids and powdery mildew seems to be claiming my other cucumber. Hmmmm. The powdery mildew was on plants against new wet cedar fence - connected?
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The BT Garden Thread Rss Feed  

of 14