Klein | Clark Sports
67F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 57m 41s
Overall Rank = 20/763
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/46
Pre-race routine:

I was having a rough week leading up to this race. My main focus right now is having my top performance at Ironman California 70.3 Oceanside at the end of March. Desert Tri falls in the middle of my peak training phase, so I've been taking myself to the limit. I entered this week as a recovery week, which would normally keep intensity up, but drop duration down. After my normal full day off I went to hit my workout but was completely flat. The soreness from the weekend had faded but the freshness hadn't returned to my legs. A sure sign muscle fatigue! I backed off right away to avoid putting myself in a hole. At mid-week I still wasn't feeling it. I started to get nervous about whether or not my legs would return for the race.
Event warmup:

I put on some music and went for a warm up run to get the blood flowing. Mixing in some running drills lets my body know that we're about to rock out. Once my core temp was up I snugged myself into the new Blueseventy Helix wetsuit. That suit is the real deal! I can finally get a feel for the water while I swim. I sipped down some Cytosport Monster Pump to top off my pre-race nutrition and was ready to face the day. Over dinner the night before, Lauren said that she would be fine once she made finished the swim. I told her I would be fine once I finished the run.
Swim
  • 19m 53s
  • 1207 meters
  • 01m 39s / 100 meters
Comments:

I like being in the first wave, but I could do without having to start with the pros! That natural racing instinct wants to make me hold onto the front group, but they, being the professionals, quickly got away. It gives me a bit of a mental hit right away sending a signal that I'm not doing well. In the moment I don't put it together that I'm with the best of the best. This mental punch mixed with the hard effort of the first 200 meters sent my breathing out of control and into a bit of a panic attack. I freaked out for a bit on my way to the first buoy before really finding my stroke. Having to focus on my stroke got my a little off with my sighting, but I don't think it was anything major.
What would you do differently?:

Panic attack aside, I think I had a good swim once I found myself. I haven't been practicing open water the way I did leading into last year. The purpose of this race is to get me tuned up for Oceanside and I think this accomplished that goal of flushing out the cobwebs.
Transition 1
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

T1 got slowed down a bit as I reminded myself how to peel off a wetsuit.
Bike
  • 1h 01m 2s
  • 24 miles
  • 23.59 mile/hr
Comments:

I was pretty alone for most of the ride. I closed some huge gaps to chase down my rabbits, but was never followed or flip-flopping. I never really had to work any strategy other than seeing someone in the distance and making sure I was closing on them. My all liquid nutrition plan worked out flawlessly with the Speedfill A2 between my bars. I sipped Cyctomax mixed with some gels every 10 minutes, stayed aero, and kept pushing.
What would you do differently?:

kick over everyone in the draft packs that I passed.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Unlike last year, I remembered to get out of my shoes before the downhill to the dismount line. It was nice not having to clomp through T2 in my bike shoes. I overran my rack though and had to go back a rack or two to find my spot.
Run
  • 33m 50s
  • 6 miles
  • 05m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs were in full force on the bike so I had no concerns about them not being there for the run. It was just a matter of hunting down more of my rabbits and trying to move up. I love the first loop of this run because everyone that you can see is someone you need to pass. For the second loop you merge in with the later waves and everyone gets jumbled together. With two miles to go I passed the last known person from my wave. I felt solid the entire run and was passing people without fear of being chased. It was all about who in front of me I could beat to the finish.
Post race
Warm down:

I met Wattie and Heather Jackson in the finish chute. Grabbed some food and went to go cheer for Lauren on the run course. After I saw her head out for her second loop I drank some Monster Milk and Monster Amino and did a little cool down run.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I put together a great race. It was a rough week, but I read my body and let it rebuild. There was a slight freakout in the water, but everything came together. It was great to meet fellow memembers of the Wattie Ink Elite Team, as well as the man himself, Sean 'Wattie Watkins. This team is really something to be proud of and I will do my best to represent and rock the W. Thanks to Blueseventy for making a wetsuit that got this average swimmer out of the water in the top 10, Cytosport for the nutrition and recovery, Speedfil for making it easy to stay fueled, K-Swiss for making the K-Ruzz 1.5 light and comfortable, and everyone that sent me messages of encouragement. Special thanks to Lauren for keeping me level headed with the pressure to perform. She doesn't know it, but as she talks herself up before the race she's also speaking for me and building up the confidence of my training.

Last updated: 2011-10-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:53 | 1207 meters | 01m 39s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/46
Overall: 91/763
Performance: Average
Suit: Blueseventy Helix
Course: diagonal out into the sun, long stretch across the lake, then a short swim to the shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:44
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:01:02 | 24 miles | 23.59 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/46
Overall: 53/763
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Up to get into and out of the lake area but flat and fast for the majority of a rectangle course
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:50 | 06 miles | 05m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/46
Overall: 6/763
Performance: Good
Course: Two flat loops around the lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-03-05 7:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodland Hills, CA
Subject: Desert International Triathlon

2012-03-06 12:27 AM
in reply to: #4081829

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
Subject: RE: Desert International Triathlon
Hot damn dude...great race!  That run blows my mind.   It was a great day out there for sure.
2012-03-06 11:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Eastern WA

congrats on passing the tune up test for oceanside! and as always, incredible run...4th in ag with a sub158? holy competitive race batman!  nice work

2012-03-06 12:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodland Hills, CA
Thanks guys.  Tough age group at this race for sure!  And the winner of my age group is racing Oceanside so that will be fun.  Hopefully the longer course will let me eat into him a bit more.
2012-03-06 12:23 PM
in reply to: #4082995

User image

Destroyer - 2012-03-06 10:18 AM Thanks guys.  Tough age group at this race for sure!  And the winner of my age group is racing Oceanside so that will be fun.  Hopefully the longer course will let me eat into him a bit more.

As I was reading this and Dusty's report I was thinking of Rapp's comment over there that desert tri is not all that competetive AG wise 

GReat job, sounds like everything is coming together nicely for Oceanside, especially that swim.

2012-03-06 12:25 PM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
Great race Doug....I have a feeling you are going to crush O-Side.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Desert International Triathlon Rss Feed