General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rotator Cuff Injury Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-06 9:41 AM

Subject: Rotator Cuff Injury
Have had a sore shoulder for the past few weeks, went to the Dr. Today, and he told me it's my rotator cuff.  I'm gonna start some physical therapy next week to get back in shape to swim.  What I want to know is, what is a common mistake with swimming that causes a rotator cuff injury?  I want to fix whatever caused this problem and prevent reinjury as much as possible.  I've been doing triathlons for 3 years now, and haven't had this issue before.

2012-03-06 10:27 AM
in reply to: #4082623

Veteran
Madison, Alabama
Subject: RE: Rotator Cuff Injury
Take this with a grain of salt, but I've had both of mine repaired. I don't think it was anything that you did swimming. You injured it somehow would be my guess. One of mine was from a skiing accident and the other was from pushing pallets on C-17s in the Air Force...

Kevin
2012-03-06 11:01 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Did your Dr. bother telling you which of the 4 rotator cuff tendons you injured?

I have torn both of my supraspinatus tendons (the most common).  But they aren't very actively used by swimming.  I was still swimming with both of them torn, one of them nearly completely torn, with no real issues.  The recovery was a little sore at times, but would get better as I swam and warmed up.

Then I completely tore my right one through and couldn't lift my arm.  I was able to return to swimming about 3 months post-op even though they didn't think I would be able to...but it's not really stressed by swimming.

So, if you have hurt your supraspinatus, probably not a problem with swimming.  If it's another one, just tell me which one it is.

2012-03-06 11:15 AM

User image

Expert

I had rotator cuff and torn bicep surgery a few years ago.  Actually need it on the other arm but really don't want to go through the surgery again.  Swimming does not really bother either arm.  makes it a little sore but that's it.  I was worried to as I had the surgery before I started tri's and that was really my only concern, will I be able to swim.   Not an issue (arm wise that is)

I am almost embarrassed to say how I hurt it but the last straw was when I slept on it wrong.  It had hurt a little up until then and I must have just slept the wrong way because when I woke up it was killing me.  Wish I could say it was some exciting injury like fell skiing or something

Hopefully PT will work for you.  The surgery part was OK, it's just having my arm in a sling and not being able to use it for 8 weeks that killed me. 

good luck,

Dune

2012-03-06 2:43 PM
in reply to: #4082833

User image

Duanerice - 2012-03-06 12:15 PM

I am almost embarrassed to say how I hurt it but the last straw was when I slept on it wrong.  It had hurt a little up until then and I must have just slept the wrong way because when I woke up it was killing me.  Wish I could say it was some exciting injury like fell skiing or something

No shame.  This is how I ended up at the ortho!  I literally woke up one morning and couldn't lift my arm.  Been in PT for about 6 weeks and improvement is slow but coming.

2012-03-06 3:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern CT

Physics202 - 2012-03-06 10:41 AM Have had a sore shoulder for the past few weeks, went to the Dr. Today, and he told me it's my rotator cuff.  I'm gonna start some physical therapy next week to get back in shape to swim.  What I want to know is, what is a common mistake with swimming that causes a rotator cuff injury?  I want to fix whatever caused this problem and prevent reinjury as much as possible.  I've been doing triathlons for 3 years now, and haven't had this issue before.

I just started PT for rotator cup tendonitis.  One swimming mistake someone pointed out was make sure you're not starting your stroke with your thumb down (very common).  That rotates the shoulder inward. 

Mine I attribute to being back at a desk job after many years + bad posture.  That whole "imagine you've got a string pulling the top of your head."  I have found it feels a lot better the better posture I have.

2012-03-06 4:03 PM
in reply to: #4083585

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens

Watch your body position if you use open turns coming off the wall.  There is a moment as you're turning around that it is possible to launch with the legs before your hands are ready in streamline position.  This hurts.  All the energy from the legs is caught by the shoulder as the arm comes forward late.

If you're going to use paddles, get the smallest size that is practical.  Again If you form is bad you can put unnatural forces on your rotator cuffs.

I'm not a dr. but have torn supraspinatis in both shoulders.  You can swim with 'trick' shoulders but will have to focus more on good form.  Thats not a bad thing.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rotator Cuff Injury Rss Feed