Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-05-17 7:32 PM
in reply to: #425239

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Critique my diet

Ok Karen here's my 2Cents and what has worked for me, some 90lbs lighter over the last 3 years.

One it is possible to lose weight using the ellipitcal machine.  I used that  along with personal trainer sessions to lose the 1st 50lbs, and then added the outdoor running, and other activites, it wasn't until I had lost 80lbs that I took up Triathlons.  So i know during the week you are limited on time etc.  Stick with the routine you have I think it will start to show some results, maybe add the Stairmaster (if they have the one that actual stairs you climb).

i think you are on the right track as far as food goes, but if you are trying to do the small meals more often, DON"T skip the snack even if you aren't hungry.  Also are you using white sugar in your tea or honey?  In my opinion honey would be a more natural option to the processed white sugars. I've always heard it was better option anyway.

This is pretty much what I was eating, again this is what worked for me, and I was fine with eating pretty much the same meals M-F and then changing it up a little on the weekend.

Preworkout breakfast(5am) - Fruit either apple or Orange, you could add Peanut butter to the apple.

Post workout breakfast (8:30am) - Oatmeal 1/2 cup dry with honey, 3 hard boiled egg no yokes.

Snack 11:30 - Fruit/Veggies

Lunch 2pm - Salad with chicken - no creamy dressing

Snack - 4:30 - Fruit Veggies

Dinner - 8pm Lean meat with veggies or more Eggs.

and of course lots of water. 

Again this is what worked for me.  I'm pretty much doing the same now, and able to maintain my loss (well except for the 20lbs I gained back when I was hurt last fall). 

Lynn

2006-05-19 2:21 PM

User image

Papillion, Nebraska
I am a tall, skinny, yet one hell of a hungry boy! Basically, I love to eat whenever and wherever. This is all fine as long as I am working out atleast once a day. However, during my sedentary moments this is not ok b/c weight comes creeping back. Anyways, I have recently heard a lot of talk regarding soluble fiber which is supposed to suppress hunger. Well, I have kicked the sugary cereals for breakfast and switched to Kashi Go Lean cereal and oatmeal (both of which are near 5g SF). Surprisingly, I can go 6-7 hours w/o having to eat again. So, I think throwing soluble fiber into your diet in the morning might help curb further cravings. But, what works for me may not work for you.
2006-05-19 2:53 PM
in reply to: #426900

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

LynnieB - 2006-05-17 4:32 PM Also are you using white sugar in your tea or honey?  In my opinion honey would be a more natural option to the processed white sugars. I've always heard it was better option anyway.

Thanks, Lynnie!  No way on the white sugar (unless that's the only option when dining out). At home and at work, I keep a bag of Trader Joe's Organic Raw sugar or some of the unprocessed sugar I get from the bulk bin at my local market.  I like honey in my tea sometimes too, but I don't keep that at my desk. 

2006-05-23 12:43 PM
in reply to: #425272

New user

I realize that I am getting into the discussion late, but here is what struck me. The original diet had 2 cups of milk. That is 24 gram of sugar just from the milk. Lactose mind you but still a lot of sugar. In addition, there was a tablespoon of sugar added to the cereal. In the revised diet the milk was reduced to 1 cup. I think that is a big improvement. Cottage cheese has a much better protein to carbohydrate ratio than milk. I am not saying you should eliminate milk, but I would substitute cottage cheese for milk in at least one instance. For example, you could have cottage cheese and some fresh fruit in the pre-workout meal for protein instead of the protein powder.

The second thing is that I have to disagree somewhat with Exteme Veteran about lettuce being a total waste of time. It really depends on what sort of lettuce you are eating. If you are eating iceberg lettuce then he is absolutely correct. However, green leaf, red leaf, romaine and other greens have a lot of vitamins and mineral your body needs. In addition, they are filling. I would not eliminate those types of lettuce completely. If you need to add more fresh fruits and vegetables, salads with a variety of greens, fruits and vegetables are excellent way to add those to your diet.
2006-05-23 12:57 PM
in reply to: #431621

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

Larry, thanks for the response!  This isn't a dead subject... at least not as far as I'm concerned, seeing as how I still need to eat everyday. 

As for lettuce, I don't even look at iceberg... do they still sell that stuff?  I get romain hearts and chop them up, or the mixed "spring" salad with the different colors.  I agree that it has a place.  And I still have a small salad with dinner every now and then.  And I'll probably have a salad with lunch once a week, just for variety, and depending on what's available when I go "shopping" in the crisper drawer at home while packing my lunch. 

I agree about the milk for the pre-workout meal, and I've switched that out for a boiled egg (when I remember) and a banana.  And I do the cottage cheese for my mid-morning /pre-second workout meal.

I'm not totally happy with my cereal selection, but I just started a new box, so I'll stick with it for another week until it's gone.

I'm just a bit disappointed that yogurt isn't as good a source of protein as cottage cheese.  It's a shame because I love yogurt and I can make my own at home, and save money and plastic containers from going to the landfill.  I think it's possible to make cottage cheese at home, but it looks a bit more confusing and risky than yogurt.

2006-06-01 2:22 PM

Veteran
The Emerald City

Just saw this thread and if it's not too late, here's my 2 cents...

As for nuts, eat RAW almonds not roasted.  Raw almonds or other nuts are better for you and have a high satiate index.  Avoid roasted nuts, there something about the roasting that changes the makeup of the nuts ( I can't remember exactly what it is) and causes hunger in some people.

A banana smeared with RAW almond butter would be great for pre workout.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Critique my diet Rss Feed  

of 2