General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fruit=sugars? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-07 1:06 PM

User image

Regular
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Subject: Fruit=sugars?

I use myfitnesspal to track calories but every time I have fruit my sugar allowance goes off the roof.

I don't think I have that much fruit, two bananas, and apple and maybe a cup of strawberries a day, is this too much? how sugars from fruit compare to other forms of sugar? 

2012-03-07 1:10 PM
in reply to: #4085020

Tulsa
Subject: RE: Fruit=sugars?

Sugars from Fruit (fructose) is a sugar, but it is a natural sugar.

Bananas and Strawberries have some of the highest concentrations (by weight) among fruits.  Apples are much lower.

Fruit is not bad for you (everything in moderation), but know that you are getting sugar (carbs) when you eat fruit.

Of course, sugar from fruit is better than sugar in say kool-aid or something like that.  Not all calories are created equal, and neither are all sugars.

Best of luck!

2012-03-07 1:32 PM

User image

Rockville

Are you sure about strawberries vs apple comparison?  I always believed that strawberries are better.   I googled and found:

http://www.twofoods.com/compare/query/c3RyYXdiZXJyeQ==/YXBwbGU=

2012-03-07 2:10 PM

Tulsa

I was probably thinking along the glycemic index (carb ranking), and this list shows strawberries to be a bit higher on the GI scale than apples.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/glycemicindlist_3.htm

The merits of the GI scale are of course debateable, but, you're right regarding total sugars between the two per your link.  Great catch!

Dave

2012-03-07 2:25 PM
in reply to: #4085175

User image

Rockville

I think you are right!  In fact, I do care more about GI rather than amount of sugar per 100g, because I can control the amount of sugar by simply eating less apples, thought I cannot lower GI of strawberries.

Thanks.

2012-03-07 3:29 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

Well, comparing eating less strawberries to less apples is not as simple as Gylcemic index. I could eat 2 pints of strawberries easily. Apples are so fiber-ful, I can't eat more than one.

GI used as a single metric is flawed. Case in point: like a lot of people who read an article in a magazine, I got it in my head that since snickers had the same GI rating as a banana, they were equivalent for fuel. Not for me they're not.

To answer the question, I can only give you my experience. I eat fruit every day. A banana at breakfast, and usually an apple somewhere else in the day. I also eat honey. Sometimes I have a clif bar which is definitely processed.

Even so, my A1c dropped from 6.7 to 5.4% and my fasting glucose test dropped from 126 to 82. The switch? No more baked stuff, ice cream, little debbie, anything like that. Lots more fruit.

Endurance training requires some sugar. Getting it all naturally from fruit is probably one of the best ways. For weight loss, I just know I didn't get fat on apples. Apple pie, that's another matter.

2012-03-07 7:12 PM
in reply to: #4085339

User image

Extreme Veteran
The more ripe a fruit, the more simple sugars it has... the less ripe - the more complex sugars which acts as fiber. Focus on eating the skin if possible, that is where the nutrients and fiber is.
2012-03-08 6:43 AM

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
Fruits are a different sugar, but still a high GI sugar nonetheless.  They at least have some redeeming qualities as mentioned, compared to drinking soda or eating candy.  I usually have my fruit with peanut butter and/or greek yogurt, or in a a chicken salad to reduce the whole glycemic reaction.
2012-03-24 4:37 PM

Regular
Austin, TX
On my nutrition plan I have to limit fruit because of the sugars.  I love fruit so I try to keep it in my diet, but use it wisely....berries on cereal first thing in the morning when my body is going to be burning those calories the rest of the day.  My morning pre-workout food of choice is wheat toast, almond butter, and a banana sliced on top.  I try not to have fruit in the afternoons or after dinner, though every now and then I get a sweet craving after dinner and some apple confit works wonders to smash it!  Other than that I try to stay away from fruit.  But I have to say, if it's between scarfing down a candy bar or having some fruit, I would opt for the fruit anyday! 
2012-03-27 3:33 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
Just as some of the other posters have stated...fruit has natural sugar which is indeed better than eating candy or drinking soda. Fruit contains Fructose, which is metabolized differently compared to glucose. It goes directly to the liver to be broken down and to replenish liver glycogen stores. This is good for the endurance athlete or someone doing highly metabolic demanding exercise. Problem is if glycogen stores are already high, the extra fructose can lead to weight gain.
I try to limit my fruit consumption to 2x/day and always eat with some sort of protein to slow the digestive process. Fruit contains so many good things such as vitamins, fiber etc so it is good for you, but just like everything - moderation!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fruit=sugars? Rss Feed