General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Great Floridian Triathlon - Ultra Distance Race : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-10-04 7:13 AM
in reply to: #4086852

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: Great Floridian Triathlon - Ultra Distance Race : Official Thread
Anyone know about the run course? Besides, three laps?

2012-10-04 9:38 AM
in reply to: #4440163

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Coldfire - 2012-10-04 8:13 AM

Anyone know about the run course? Besides, three laps?

From race report descriptions and looking over the trail via Google Earth, it looks like the western portion of the trail is fairly flat and the eastern portion has some rollers to deal with. Didn't look too bad in the way of elevation change but you'll still know whether you're going up or down.

Found this which gives idea of elevation changes along the way. Of course, it's farther than we will be going but you can move along the elevation graph to see the changes and how much the elevation changes by:

http://www.mapmywalk.com/routes/view/12483220

Edited by sbrdave 2012-10-04 10:01 AM
2012-10-04 2:37 PM

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
SBR Dave has got it right. There is a little elevation change once you get away from waterfront park, which is dead flat. Once you get past the second aid station there are a few nice easy rollers. The run course is all bike trail blacktop, well paved and smooth. There is no vehicular traffic and it crosses the roads in only two places which will be attended. If you are slow like me it can get dark out there (not as dark as the old loop around the lake course) so consider a headlight if you are gonna be out late. There are light posts but they are not reliable and spaced far apart. The middle section is also tree shrouded so about a third of each loop will be shaded. The aid stations in the past could sometimes be a little spartan later in the evening as well. Hope that helps.
2012-10-04 3:53 PM
in reply to: #4441033

User image

Veteran
From experience, if you are on the run course while it is getting dark, make note of the port-o-potties. They are hard to see at night on the paved run trail ;)
2012-10-04 6:29 PM
in reply to: #4441033

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
exnavydoc - 2012-10-04 3:37 PM

• ..If you are slow like me it can get dark out there (not as dark as the old loop around the lake course) so consider a headlight if you are gonna be out late.

• Mark Lepow of Sommer Sports recently recommended having a headlamp for the run on TGF Facebook page: "I recommend headlamp and remember to please bring reflective tape. As far as how much tape is needed, that is up to you, as long as you have it on both the front and back of your shirt. The aid stations along the run course will be stocked wih glow sticks prior to dusk. You are free to use your own sticks as well. Get creative on how you use your own sticks." Mark

Maybe put it in special needs(?) so I don't have too have it with me the whole time. I suppose I could also put it in my run bag and stash it in one of my tri top pockets too.
    2012-10-04 6:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Frederick, Maryland
    Not sure if this was done in the past years, but the race folks are providing shuttles for spectators to Sugarloaf Mtn to cheer folks up it. As Sommer Sports also does chip timing for Savageman 70.0, which does this for folks climbing the "Wall", perhaps they decided to do the same here? Well, if it's anything like Savageman, it'll be a Tour de France atmosphere of cheering folks!

2012-10-05 7:33 AM
    in reply to: #4441457

User image

Master
    Alpharetta, GA
    sbrdave - 2012-10-04 7:57 PM

Not sure if this was done in the past years, but the race folks are providing shuttles for spectators to Sugarloaf Mtn to cheer folks up it. As Sommer Sports also does chip timing for Savageman 70.0, which does this for folks climbing the "Wall", perhaps they decided to do the same here? Well, if it's anything like Savageman, it'll be a Tour de France atmosphere of cheering folks!

That is a cool idea, and should be plenty of fun.
    2012-10-05 12:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Frederick, Maryland
    From TGF FB page: "For everyone who has registered in either the ULTRA or Intermediate triathlons or Aqua Bike by 11:59PM on Sunday, October 7th will receive PERSONALIZED bib numbers."
    2012-10-10 8:11 AM

User image

Regular
    Clermont, Florida
    Little bit of cooler, dryer air moved in last night. Looking at highs in the mid 80s and lows in the upper 60s to low 70s for the next couple days. This is what passes for fall in Florida. Hope this will cool the lake some. Last estimated water temp I could find was 84 degrees. Fingers crossed.
    2012-10-10 10:25 AM
    in reply to: #4442549

User image

New user

Naperville, Illinois
    How do you get those personalized numbers?
    2012-10-10 10:51 AM
    in reply to: #4448022

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Frederick, Maryland
    quinnpenny - 2012-10-10 11:25 AM

How do you get those personalized numbers?

Not sure, no other details other than you had to sign up for the race by the end of the day on Sunday. Got the impression that maybe they had your name and maybe other personal info on them rather than just the number itself. Saw that recently at another race a couple of friends did. So if you signed up after Sunday, you'll just get a plain bib number with no other personal info on it. Probably won't know much more until packet pickup.

Edited by sbrdave 2012-10-10 11:03 AM

2012-10-10 10:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Frederick, Maryland
    BTW, there's also now the Sugarloaf Challenge:

-------------------------------------

Sugarloaf Challenge is new for 2012 and is part of the Ultra and Long course bike segment. Individual* participants will be timed during the climb up Sugarloaf and awards will be presented to the male and female cyclists with the fastest times to the top. *Sorry relay team members, this race in a race feature is open to individual participants only.

Winter Garden Wheel Works is providing the following awards:
    1st Place (M/F): Bell Sweep Helmet, $139.00 MSRP
    2nd Place (M/F): Cyctomax Recovery Drink Mix, $55.00 MSRP
    3rd Place (M/F): Ryder Sunglasses, $39.00 MSRP

--------------------------------------

Personally, I think I'll be happy enough just making the climb and finishing the rest of the race But, for those that are climbers AND can finish the course, this certainly is a nice extra. Good Luck to those that make the attempt!

2012-10-10 11:10 AM
    in reply to: #4447705

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Frederick, Maryland
    exnavydoc - 2012-10-10 9:11 AM

Little bit of cooler, dryer air moved in last night. Looking at highs in the mid 80s and lows in the upper 60s to low 70s for the next couple days. This is what passes for fall in Florida. Hope this will cool the lake some. Last estimated water temp I could find was 84 degrees. Fingers crossed.

Yeah, let's hope so. Though I don't mind it not being wetsuit legal, I swam in 88 degree water at IM 70.3 Muncie this July. The high water temp actually messed folks up, including myself. So, I'd prefer it to at least be closer to 80 if it's not going to be legal.

Did you find the estimated temp at the fishingnotes.com?

http://www.fishingnotes.com/lakeinfo.php?id=5017

Hope their algorithm isn't correct

Edited by sbrdave 2012-10-10 11:23 AM
    2012-10-10 12:17 PM

User image

Regular
    Clermont, Florida
    Roger that. Some of us who have been swimming in the lake find it a little steamy right now. Open water swim Sunday - maybe able to give a better idea about temps after that. Shall I take my pool thermo with? As the GFT site says, the only number that matters is the one on race morning. I hope Fred will do his best to take the temp over one of the cool springs that helps feed the lake.
    2012-10-11 12:14 PM
    in reply to: #4448110

User image

Master
    Alpharetta, GA
    sbrdave - 2012-10-10 11:59 AM

BTW, there's also now the Sugarloaf Challenge:

-------------------------------------

Sugarloaf Challenge is new for 2012 and is part of the Ultra and Long course bike segment. Individual* participants will be timed during the climb up Sugarloaf and awards will be presented to the male and female cyclists with the fastest times to the top. *Sorry relay team members, this race in a race feature is open to individual participants only.

Winter Garden Wheel Works is providing the following awards:
    1st Place (M/F): Bell Sweep Helmet, $139.00 MSRP
    2nd Place (M/F): Cyctomax Recovery Drink Mix, $55.00 MSRP
    3rd Place (M/F): Ryder Sunglasses, $39.00 MSRP

--------------------------------------

Personally, I think I'll be happy enough just making the climb and finishing the rest of the race But, for those that are climbers AND can finish the course, this certainly is a nice extra. Good Luck to those that make the attempt!

Yeah, I saw this and thought that was pretty cool; however, kinda a mixed bag since it is between the Ultra and Long Course. I am a climber, but it takes a set of ballz to blow it out at mile 18 with 94 miles left after that plus a marathon to run.
    2012-10-11 12:16 PM

User image

Master
    Alpharetta, GA
    If the water is 84F right now, you can forget about it being wetsuit legal by next weekend. Even with a ton of rain, I doubt it will get down to WS legal temps.

2012-10-11 6:27 PM
    in reply to: #4450091

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Frederick, Maryland
    "Yeah, I saw this and thought that was pretty cool; however, kinda a mixed bag since it is between the Ultra and Long Course. I am a climber, but it takes a set of ballz to blow it out at mile 18 with 94 miles left after that plus a marathon to run. "

Yeah, that's what I'm kinda thinking myself. I kinda wish they had awards for Long and Ultra folks rather than grouped as it sounds like.

Edited by sbrdave 2012-10-11 6:28 PM
    2012-10-11 6:30 PM
    in reply to: #4450095

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Frederick, Maryland
    Coldfire - 2012-10-11 1:16 PM

If the water is 84F right now, you can forget about it being wetsuit legal by next weekend. Even with a ton of rain, I doubt it will get down to WS legal temps.

Well, it was just an estimate from a fishing site that isn't actually taking a measurement at the lake. Perhaps exnavydoc (Joseph) will give more intel from the latest OWS there.
    2012-10-11 7:12 PM

User image

Regular
    Clermont, Florida
    I'll drag my pool thermo around on Sunday for a little unofficial estimate. Nights in the mid to upper 60's don't hurt.
    2012-10-12 8:49 AM

User image

Master
    Alpharetta, GA
    Talking about the water temp.....per a TGF FB post on 10/5 "only one of the previous 21 GF has NOT been wetsuit legal. Odds are pretty good it will be WS legal.
    2012-10-14 7:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Frederick, Maryland
    I've been looking at the one weather forecast model for the last week and the latest trend from that one is calling for a weak cold front to go through the area Friday evening and usher in a bit cooler/drier air on Sat. While that would be super, another model is slowing this front up a bit more and keeping clouds and a bit of rain in the forecast. Still 6 days out and highly subject to change, but as long as it's not downpouring, I don't think I'd mind either as temps will probably stay in the 60s range for lows and mid-70s to low 80s for highs. A bit of rain might also affect the race day water temp too. Winds are relatively light in either scenario at present. So at least at the moment it doesn't look like it's going to be blazing hot.

I'll keep watching and will post more details in a few days. Hopefully, the models I'm looking at will come into better alignment for Sat.

2012-10-14 9:49 AM

User image

Regular
    Clermont, Florida
    Totally unofficial water temp 81 degrees. I like the forecasts I see for cooler, drier air, especially with race day temps around 80 F. now to see if I can find anything else to worry about that I have no control over whatsoever.......
    2012-10-14 11:10 AM
    in reply to: #4453060

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Frederick, Maryland
    exnavydoc - 2012-10-14 10:49 AM

Totally unofficial water temp 81 degrees. I like the forecasts I see for cooler, drier air, especially with race day temps around 80 F. now to see if I can find anything else to worry about that I have no control over whatsoever.......

Thanks for the water temp intel! Just to note, the weather's not a worry per se. It's just habit for me as I'm actually a meteorologist by degree. And so, I have found looking in on the forecast models has helped me prepare better for the possible race weather conditions during the day and what impact they may have, e.g. will I have tailwinds or headwinds on different part of the bike course? full sun or clouds? A lot of humidity or drier conditions, which would aid in sweat keeping me cooler or not? Rain slickens the bike course but helps keep me cool on the run. So these are things I look and prepare for prior to a race. Things don't always go as forecast of course But, I think overall it's helped me prepare better for my races.

Like I said, I'll provide another post about how the weather forecast is shaping up a bit later this week, especially when the models I'm looking at have a chance to align better than they are now.
    2012-10-16 4:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Frederick, Maryland
    Okay, weather forecast models have started to come in line with indicating that a weak cold front will come through the race area either late Friday night or early Saturday morning. The models have been pretty consistent with this for a few runs now. Still, know that the front could still slow up and come through some time on Sat or early Sunday. At the moment, with the forecast that the front will come through prior to the race, here's how the weather is shaping up from the NWS folks:

Temps: race start - 65, 10 AM - 75, 12 noon - 81, 2PM - 83, 6 PM 80, 8 PM 72, 11 PM 67

Dew point: 59 to start and dropping a bit to 55 during the day. So, humidity levels promise to be relatively dry for central Florida.

Winds: NNE 5-10 mph. So, any legs of the bike going north with experience a bit of a headwind with the reverse for any legs going south. So, this may slow/wear folks down just a little bit on those parts. Recommend shifting down a bit and spinning more when going into any headwinds so legs stay fresher.

Rain: Slight chance at race start but not looking for any the rest of the day at present.

Clouds: May be more clouds at race start, but looking like partly cloudy to mostly sunny depending on how fast the front exits the area. So, sunscreen is looking like a necessity.

As I'm traveling tomorrow to the race site, I may give one more update either tonight or early tomorrow morning, especially if anything's changed. A short range forecast model will be available then too to give another slant on Sat weather. But so far, looking decent and hopefully, the models continue these trends.

Dave

2012-10-16 7:32 AM

User image

Master
    Alpharetta, GA
    Nice update Dave. Looks to be a little warm, but if that front reduces the humidy that would be nice. Plus, getting out of the water just shy of 70F will be prefect. Shouldn't have the need for gloves/arm warmers, but I can play that by ear. I am also rolling down to the race site tomorrow.

Travel safe.

Oh BTW, 5-10 mph winds are not bad. Just remember that your bike sets up your run when everyone is out there hammering away.

Edited by Coldfire 2012-10-16 7:34 AM
    New Thread
    General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Great Floridian Triathlon - Ultra Distance Race : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3