Panama City Beach, Florida
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 45m 22s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 48/59
Pre-race routine:

The alarm went off at 4:10am- TA area opened at 4:30am. I got up and showered- I figured that would help wake me up. I slept great and had issues falling asleep or sleeping through the night. I got dressed, and ate a small whole wheat bagel with all natural peanut butter. I took my swim stuff out of my transition bag and laid it on my bed- I planned to come back to the condo after setting up transition since my wave didn't start until 6:30am. Got body marked and wentinto the TA. Ran into a slight issue. The girl next to me racked her bike on the wrong side of the race. So there wasn't any space for me to set up. I asked a volunteer if they could rack her bike properly and the lady didn't understand what I was trying to tell her. Finally a differet volunteer came over and moved the bike. Had I known it was going to be a big deal, I would have just moved it myself. But I also didn't want to mess with other athlete's stuff either. Anyhow, after that ordeal I was able to set up. It took me longer than usual to set up due to issues with my aero bottle. I couldn't find one of the velcro stips and had to rig it with jmy elecetrical tape. I ended upwrapping hte tape around it in a figure 8, and after several layers of tape, that sucker didn't move. It looked so ghetto, but hey- I didn't really have much a choice and made best of the situation. I would later fiind that my ghetto water bottle set up was the bext invention ever! I left TA and went back to the condo. I ate a banana and drank some Powerade while Jon was getting ready. I applied bodyglide and subnblock and then it was time to head down to the beach. We left the condo around 5:45ish and walked down to the beach. My wave started at 6:30am and was like the 4th wave to go off or something. I'm not used to starting before the men, so this was kinda weid. I am used to having to wait around forever, but not this morning. I got down to the beach- "We Are the Champions" was playing- it was very inspriing and I started to get pumped! I chatted with some TNT'ers, saw huengsolo, and then I was ready to put on my wetsuit. I sprayed my legs with Pam and put on my wetsuit and was off to swim in the ocean. I got out, and my wave was being called. I said bye to Jon and was off- met up with other TNT'ers in my wave until the cannon went off.
Event warmup:

I got in the water and swam a little- I don't even think it was 5 mins. I just mostly wanted to get wet and take a few strokes.
Swim
  • 41m 20s
  • 2078 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

The announcer had mentioned earlier that the cannon hadn't arrived, and for the first few waves he did a vocal start. But luckily the cannon came in time for my wave. Had it not, I would have felt cheated in a way. For some reason, I really wanted to start with eh cannon since I have never done a race before with one. I positioned myself kinda toward the front, off to the right. I didn't want to have to battle the current carrying me too far to the left. The cannon went off (man that sucker is loud!) and I was in the water. I didn't have to dolphin dive- I was able to dive nad start swimming after running through the breakers. I think I started off too fast because I could tell my haert rate was crazy. The swim wasn't too violent- I never got kicked or antyhing- it was just a little hard passing people. Every now and then I would come up behind the yellow cappers- the ladies who started in the wave ahead of me. They were the ones I call "crazy kickers". They were kicking so much that it annoyed me because when I would try to sight, I would get a mouthful of salt water than pretty much went right into my throat. This happened a few times and one time I stopped swimming and started to gag- not good. I was hoping all the salt water wouldn't upset my stomach later in the race. Once I got to the first turn around buoy I was happy. I didn't have issues with sighting and felt like I stayed on course rather well. On the stratch into the shore, I noticed my left goggle was leaking a little bit. I couldn't decide if I should just deal with it or fix it. I ended up just pressing the google tighter to my face which was a bad mistake. My goggles felt uneven and I could feel my eyelashes pressed up against the left google. I just left it that way because I didn't want to waste anymore time. I passed a few more yellow cap swimmers and finally got close to the finish. I swam pretty close into shore but my hand never hit the bottom. I stopped swimming once I saw the swimmers ahead of me walking in the water. that may have been a mistake because it was really hard walkingthrough all of those waves. I was really hoping that a wave wouldn't knock me over as I was walking to the shore- luckily they didn't. Jon said I looked very smooth coming out of the water. Apparently lots of people were falling over from the waves when they exited the water.
What would you do differently?:

Not swallow so much water. Pushed myself a little more. Not stopped swimming as soon as I did when I reached the shore.
Transition 1
  • 03m 37s
Comments:

I never realized how tough it was to run through the sand. This sand was deep and it took a lot of my energy. I ran a little bit, and then had to hop over a steep sand ledge to get to the swim exit. Thankfully I didn't fall. I pulled my wetsuit strap and peeled it down to my waist. Ran with cap and goggles in hand through the swim exit, and heard lots of spectators yelling "GO Team!". I was pumped. I hit the boardwalk and ran under the showers. They weren't really showers- just a quick mist but I'm sure it helped some. I opened my mouth and tried to get some water since the salt water taste was just terrible. Got a little bit and had to spit. Did I mention after the swim I pretty much couldn't stop spitting? My swim finish pictures will be interesting. I finally crossed the chip mat and heard the announcer say my name. spectators were cheering and yelling "Go Team!'- very cool. I'm always so proud to be a part of TNT at races. I was bummed that the chip mat was so far away from the swim exit- I really wanted a more accurate swim time. I was happy to be done with the swim- it seemed very long for some reason. I jogged into T1 and foudn my bike with no problem. Removing my wetsuit took me a little longer than usual- ot got caught at my ankles more than usual but I didn't have to fight with it for too long. I put on my bike shoes without drying my feet very good- it seemed impossible to get everything (sand) off. I put on my helmet and sunglasses and was almost done. I grabbed a bag of Cliff Bloks and stuck them in the pocket of my tri suit and was off. Ran my bike through T1 and got to the mounting line. I always seem to have issues getting clipped in quickly at races- I sorta fumbled getting clipped in. While all this was going on the Atlanta TNT swim coach, Mary was next to me and said "Go Team!". Did I mention how awesome it is to see TNT'ers on the course? I finally got on my bike and was pedaling.

Practice clipping into my pedals faster.
Bike
  • 3h 22m 5s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.63 mile/hr
Comments:

I finally got clipped in and was on my 56 mile journey. I didn't particulary care for the first few miles of the bike portion. Coming out of T1, I made a right onto the road and rode for about 2.5 miles until a very sharp turn around. The bike course was very congested and it was hard making such a shapr turn without crashing. The volunteers told everyone to slow down, but there were some guys who just wanted to take the turns fast and didn't slow down much. After the turn around I was on my way back to pass the bike start. I passed Jon on the side and he got a picture of me on my bike. It was at this point in the race when I realized I set up my aero bottle back wards. The straw was farthest away from my mouth- not good. I coudln't do anything to it since I had set it up ghetto style- that electrical tape wasn't going anywhere. So I pretty much just dealt with having to lean more forward to drink out of it. Nothing major- just a little annoyance. I had put a Star Burst on my top tube before the race. I was going to eat it when I got on the bike to get rid of the salt water taste in my mouth. I went to grab it and realized it was gone. I was a little disapointed, but ate a Cliff Blok instead. It did the trick- only it wasn't as tasty as a red Starburst would have been.

The bike was kinda boring- I dunno. The first few miles we rode through a bunch of construction. TIt wasn't very scenic at all. There was a lot of sand on the road and I was careful not to slide. I was completely paranoid about getting a flat from all the construction, but luckily I didn't have to worry. I didn't really see a lot of flats during this race, which surprised me. Maybe only 2 people. The roads were extremely bumpy- at times it was hard to stay to the right, because that's where the roads were the worst. I was glad that I used feet of electrical tape for my aero bottle- had I not, I'm sure that sucker would have fallen off with all the bumps and potholes. I usually have problems with it staying it place.

The bike was pleasant- my goal was to maintain 16.5 mph, and I pretty much did that the whole race. I was getting frustated though- I was getting passed like I wasn't even moving. Mostly I was getting passed from men who started in waves after me. This was really frustrating. I can only remember maybe 2 people who actually said "on your left. When these guys passed me, they would totally cut me off, like they had no room and JUST HAD to get right in front of me. I mean, c'mon- I was only going 16.5 mph, and they were by far going much faster than that. Like they really didn't have enough time to get more in front of me before moving over. They were really making me mad. I have never been in a race where almost every guy cut me off. Also, the cheating on this course was unbelievable. I had guys passing me in groups of 6-7. At one point I saw guys riding in a double pace line. Where was USAT?? I didn't really see them once we got past mile 10. These guys made me made- not only were they cheaters, but they kept cutting me off- a#$holes! Like that was necessary!

I started off with an aero bottle full of my Crank sports drink, with 2 scoops of Carbo Pro. I had an extra bottle of this in my bottle cage, along with a bottle of water. One of my goals for this race was to practice nutirion and hydration for IM FL. I usually take gels like crazy, but this time I pretty much stuck to a liquid diet that worked really good. I had a pack of Cliff Bloks within the first 10 miles of the race. My plan was to go through a bottle of sports drink and water by mile 25. I did exactly that. I kept cool on the bike and at times had to remind myself to drink. I was nearing mile 25 and still had a bottle full of water. I knew if I didn't drink it I'd be in trouble for the run. I was nearing the turn around, and decided to pour the rest of my water into my empty aero bottle, and grab a bottle of water at the bottle drop. Before the bottle drop, I dropped my empty bottle of water, turn around a tight turn and rode by the bottle drop. This part made me nervous because the turn was very tight, and it was very congested. I have a fear of bottle drops- in a race I did last summer, I almost lost control and crashed trying to grab a bottle from a volunteer who hung onto it too long and too tightly. I saw a guy holding a bottle of water, I slowed down and pointed to him to let him know I was coming to him. That was by far the best tri advice I have ever been given becuase it worked out really well. The bottle drop went very smoothly and the volunteers seemed to be really good about letting the bottle dangle from their hands instead of holding tightly onto them. I was happy to get to the turn around and be on my way back.

I started drinking more water, and around mile 40 I was getting bored, uncomfortable and sick of being on the bike. I was slowing down a little. I wouldn't say I was boking, but I was definitely losing my enthusiasm. I was wondering how in the world i was going to do IM FL- I kept thinking to myself "am I crazy?" "What was I thinking?" I soon remembered to drink my sports drink and perked up adn those horrid IM thoughts left my mind.

On the way back over the bridge- I was so happy to see th bridge and get out of my saddle to climb. I usually hate hills, but the course was as flat as a pancake. I was sick of being in aero position and was so happy to see this bridge. Huengsolo passed me as I started at the bottom of the bridge- it was good to see him. I made it up the bridge and was cruising back to the bike finish. This is where it seemed to get windy. I think it was a head wind-not sure but it was getting a little tough. I was focusing on finishing my 2nd bottle of sports drink. Thank goodness for my nutrition/hydration plan because that kept my mind off how boring the course was.

The last 5 miles of this race seemed to last forever- I mean, FOREVER. I kept seeing a bunch of hotels/condos along the beach, and kept thinking I was almost there, and then realized I hadn't gone even a half mile yet. I honestly didn't remember passing so many hotels/condos on the way out. I was antsy to get off the bike- my knees were hurting. I kept standing up to stretch my legs. I had to do something. I finally made it to T2- happy that I met my goal time and happy to rack Sherbet.

Nothing- my nurition/hydration plan was successful. I usually start feeling like crap around 25 miles, but in this race I pretty much felt great.

It would have been easier if I installed my aero bottle correctly and had the straw closer to me, but that wasn't a deal breaker.

Train to be stronger on the bike so I can shave off some time.

Going into this race, I wasn't sure how the bike would go since the farthest I had biked in training was around 45 miles. I mentally felt good coming off the bike, which is unusual. The only problem was that both my knees were achy- I think I need to get a bike that fits me better. I wonder if I should have pushed myself harder- I made sure to stay in a gear that I didn't have to push hard and maintained an easy spin.
Transition 2
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

T2 was smooth- my rack was the first one coming into the TA so finding my spot wasn't an issue. I had to wipe off my feet to put on my running shoes since I still had sand on them from the swim. T2 went well for me. I took some extra time applying sublock.

Nothing.
Run
  • 2h 36m 19s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

The run- oh where to begin.

I always seem to bomb the run portion. This time I was convinced it would not happen since I went somewhat easy on the bike. It was going to be agood runing day- that's what I told myself coming out of T2.

I ran out of T2 ready to run. I saw Jon on the side and he tried to get a picture of me. I saw it later, and he ended up getting up my butt- ha,ha. Guess my digital camera isn't quick enough. My legs felt heavy, just like they always do. Shortly after running out of T2, an Atlanta TNT'er ran up next to me. He told me that he would start off running with me. I was glad because my legs weren't feeling like running. I felt soo slow. I checked my 1 mile split- I was at a 10 min/mile pace. My goal pace for this race was 11 min/miles. I was happy at my mile 1 pace.

Mile 2 was slower- I had to stop at a porta potty. I passed one earlier on but it was occupied and I didn't want to wait. I ran by one and it was unoccupied so I was glad that I didn't have to wait. I was relieved that I finally had to pee. Had I not gone, I would have worried that I wasn't properly hydrated. My left underarm was getting chaffed- I noticed after the swim it was chaffed a little from my wetsuit. I wanted to apply bodyglide on it in the transition, but realized I left my bodyglide back at the condo :( I was hoping one of the aid stations would have vasoline. Around mile 2, I got some vasoline only to find that I had lost my TNT running partner. Can I just say that aid station at mile 2 was my all time favorite station? A bunch of young cheerleaders were at this aid station, and they were absolutely awesome. They weren't cheesy at all- they were very cute and were totally on top of things. They had it together which really surprised me because most kids at aid stations have no clue what's going on. But these girls did. And they were really encouraging and had tons of enthusiasm. I really appreciated it.

By mile 3 I was in a groove- I was settled into a pace and was running around 10:45 min/mile pace. I was happy with that and was hoping that I could maintain that pace. I was comfortable. I made sure when I passed people to tell them good job. There was a lot of cramping occurring on the run course. I passed a TNT'er from Atlanta- it was his first tri. He was walking and I asked him if he was ok- he said he was cramping up. It was then that I realized I left my endurolytes in my bento box- crap! I might need those later. I offered him a gel but he didn't want one. Now this was a guy who blew by me on the bike- made me appreciate my measily 16.5 mph on the bike.

The run course felt hot and dry. There just wasn't any shade on any part of the course. I kpet cool by placing a sponge in my hat. When I got to aid stations, I would add a cup of ice to my hat- it was a nice cooling effect and worked well. I pretty much mastered this strtedgy for the entire race.

I saw Brett (rocketman) around mile 4 for me- he was already on his way back in. I was jealous.

I had carried some gels with me in my race belt number holder. I wasn't sure if I would need them but had them just in case. I would drink a few sips of Gatroade Endurance at the stations, followed by a few sips of water, and maybe a quick bite of an banana or orange. This worked for about the first 5 miles, and then it seemed like I was hopeless. Later in the race the aid stations turned into a all you can eat buffet for me- I tried to take a bite out of everything they had, in hope that it would help me run faster.

I was pretty much with it, both mentally and physcailly until I entered the State Park. Up to the point when I enetered the park, I was enjoying seeing other TNt'ers ont eh course and exchanigng words of encouragement with them. The miles seemed to click by pretty fast. Until I entered the time warp. We only ran about 2 miles through this State Park, but those few miles seemed like an eternity. The landscape through the park was mentally draining- just some vacant sand dunes. I seriosuly never saw any traces of animal life in this park. It seemed like I was just baking running through this park. I hated the park- it sucked every ounce of mental and physical strength I had. I'm not sure what happened here. I caught up to a group of 3 TNT'ers and ran with them for awhile. They started to walk but I kept running- I wanted to get out the park and didn't want to prolong my visit there any longer. There was a lone photographer situated in this park to take pictures- that's pretty much the only form of civialization in this park. I made sure to pose by throwing my hands in the air and smiling- just to try to convince myself that I was having fun. There were a line of cars entering the park, and I was surprised that nobody in the cars really cheered for us or anything. They kinda just looked at us like we were on crack or something.

I finally finished the loop in the park and got to an aid station- what a relief. I had to get more vasoline because my left arm was rubbing on my tri top. I also got some sunblock and a volunteer offered to put it my shoulders and made sure to put it on my ears- I thought that was very sweet. The volunteers at this race were just awesome- they were so on top of things.

As I was running out of the park, I saw Rich coming in. I gave him a high five and told him to be strong. Not sure why I said that cheesy line, but seriously- it was tough going through that park. I was just glad to be out there. That park was just evil.

I thought I might pick up the pace and get back into my groove upon exiting the park, but I never did. Around mile 8, I was feeling very discouraged. By mile 10, my miles were very heavy and tight- I wasn't cramping, but they were pretty tight. I could feel my hip flexor aching a little. The 3 TNT'ers caught up with me- the ones I ran with briefly in the park. I knew that I was having issues. At this point, nothing I ate or drank helped. I decided to stay with them- I needed encouragement. We pretty much just milked the aid stations. We'd walk through them, and then walk a little extra nad then run. It wasn't too bad. I did this for about the next 2 miles. One of the guys dropepd back because he was really struggling. He said that he would never do another tri again- i just laughed, because I knew that a few days later he would change his mond :) Another TNT'er caught up with us, and decided to stay back with him. So me and Belinda (the other TNT'er) ran the rest. It was nice having someone to talk to. We kept telling each other 3 miles is nothing and that we were in the home stretch. I kept saying that i couldn't wait to get to the TNT tent, where everyone would be cheering for us! At one of the last aid stations, they had some flat Coke. I tried it- it wasn't bad. It was something different so it tasted good.

Within the last mile I picked up the pace- Belinda said that I could go ahead if I wanted to. I got my groove back- it's too bad it didn't come back sooner. I could see the tops of the TNT tents- I was so happy to almost be done. I passed the TNT tent and had what seemed like a million TNT'ers cheering for me and giving me high fives. It was awesome- there were so many people that I couldn't make out who all was there. It didn't matter though- I was just happy to receive that kind of support.

Finally made it to the finish- saw Jon on the side. After crossing the finish line, a lady asked me if I was ok. I told her that I was fine but I couldn't bend over to take my chip off. She sent me to someone to have my chip removed.

Exiting the finihs line chute, I saw the lady who has leukemia- her husband was the guy who spoke at our pasta party. He did the race with the DC TNT Chpater. She smiled and thanked me. It's too bad I felt kinda crappy- I would have loved to chatted with her.

Maybe wore my fuel belt with my own sports drink with carbo pro in it for the run. For some reason, I think that I didn't take in enough calories on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

After finishing, I walked around trying to find a bottle of water to drink-I was super thirsty. There was a huge line for food, and I wasn't sure if they had water or not. I was a little irritated that they didn't automatically hand you a bottle of water when you got your medal or something like at other races. I met up with Jon, and luckily he had a bottle of water for me in his back pack. I traded my running shoes for my flip flops- it felt great to take off my shoes and then ventured back to the TNT tent to cheer on other runners.

Grabbed a huge piece of pizza from the TNT and sat around cheering other TNT'ers in. It was so fun and awesome to see the amount of support this program offers.

Went back to TA to get my stuff and went back to the condo. Took an ice bath, then laid down for a nap for 1.5 hours. Couldn't sleep- I was mad because I knew I was tired.

Woke up and went to the post race party. Saw rocketman, talked with Rich, met Steamy and Joann. I didn't stay long becuause the awards ceremony started. It was crowded and i couldn't see much. Went back to the condo, sat in the hot tub and chatted with 2 other riathletes about the race- good times. Got back and went to bed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am not sure. I went into the race unsure of what to expect. It was pretty much practice for IM FL. I thought the bike would be a HUGE struggle for me. Surprisingly, I felt great on the bike. I obviously need to do more long run and BRICKS. Eventually I'll get this run thing down. It seems like the run portion of tri's have always been a problem for me. I can run great but when it's after swimming and biking, I really struggle.

Event comments:

This race was great and I would definitely race it again. Being able to swim in the ocean with breakers at the shore is a great experience. And...the course is so flat and open that it's mentally and physically challenging.

I was pleased with this race, despite the fact that I didn't run as fast as I had wanted to. I pretty much took it for what it was- I couldn't change anything at that point and made the most of it. Hopefully I can learn from this experience to better my performance in future races. GC was a success in the sense that I was able to figur eout nutrition for the bike. And this is the first race that I didn't use a single gel at all, and didn't have any stomach issues during or after the race. And I never once felt bloated or super full, like I usually do. That itself was worth a crappy run!
The volunteers at this race were absolutely amazing!

I highly recommend this race!

Last updated: 2006-01-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:20 | 2078 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 35/59
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Wetsuit Legal
Course: Run stsart on the beach. Swam straight out, turned right, and then turned right again to head straight back into the shore. The course was rectangular shaped which made it really easy to stay on course. After exiting the ocean, we had to run through the sand and onto a boardwalk to hit the chip timing mat.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:37
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
03:22:05 | 56 miles | 16.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 53/59
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: The bike course pretty much consisted of 2 out and back loops. The first loop was only 5 miles total, and the rest of the loop was the rest of the distance. Most of the ride was on a back rode, which was boring but at least there wasn't a lot of traffic. There was a large bridge on the course- that was the only incline/hill on the course.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:36:19 | 13.1 miles | 11m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 44/59
Performance: Below average
Here's my splits: mile 1= 10:05 mile 2= 11:22 (porta potty stop) mile 3= 10:45 mile 4= 10:46 mile 5= 10:43 mile 6= 11:35 mile 7= 11:25 mile 8= 12:29 mile 9= 12:39 mile 10= 12:53 (see why I decided to milk the aid stations?? I never knew it possible to run close to 13 min/miles!!) mile 11= 13:43 mile 12= 13:21 mile 13= 14:29
Course: Pretty much out and back- oh yeah, did I mention that we ran a few miles through the Sahara Desert?
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-17 7:57 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Subject: Gulf Coast Triathlon

2006-05-17 9:12 AM
in reply to: #426046

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Subject: RE: Gulf Coast Triathlon
Great race!! Sounds like you had fun and it looks like you were really close to hitting your goal - awesome!
2006-05-17 9:24 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Great job and I really enjoyed your report. I remember the first time I went through that state park in 2004. I was pretty much convinced I would never race again. I came back and it gets better, but it is so lonely. Good luck with Ironman training and hope to me you at IMFL.
2006-05-17 9:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Great job! I saw the drafters too. I'll tell you where the USAT official was...busy giving me some bogus penalty! Glad you had a good time. Hope you got it all figured out for IMFL!
2006-05-17 9:43 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Janelle:

Great race report ... I hear you, sister, about both the pace lines on the bike and the barren hell that is called a state park on the run.

Next time you get down to PCB or when you come down for IMFL, you might want to ride your bike to the park and get off to run two or three loops ... hopefully this will dispel the dread of having to run through it twice during your marathon.

Doing this with TNT is an awesome experience. I cannot tell you how many times I heard "Go Team" from alumni.  (Btw, Mary, our Atlanta swim coach you mentioned above, picked up some hardware (8th place AG)!)

Good job on your "training race"! -  you are going to do great at IMFL!

2006-05-17 10:06 AM

Master
Boston
Whew, I have officially gotten NO work done this morning b/c I've been reading your report. Thanks for all the details! I'm glad to hear your nutrition plan worked out pretty well for you. I'm glad Jon was there to cheer you on, too. You will be SO ready for IMFL!

2006-05-17 11:29 AM

Veteran
Marietta, GA
Congratulations on a great race.  I'm in awe of a HIM and IM in the same year!  Always love your race reports - feels like I'm there.
2006-05-17 11:39 AM

User image

Regular
Newton, MA

Great race, great report!!!  What a way to spend my lunch... I'm pumped

You made that SP sounds like a hellish place... what a mental roller coaster, but you really pulled through.  Great job

Thanks for sharing

2006-05-17 11:51 AM

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
You savor your races like a glass of fine wine. All the detail is really helpful in learning what to do and what not to do, thanks.

-Matt
2006-05-17 12:25 PM

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
A little Faulkner, a little Hemingway, and all runnergirl29. Way to go on both the race and the RR. Janelle you are definitely smokin these races. Congrats on a tremendous effort. Hope to see you at a race later in the year.
2006-05-17 2:18 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Russ- you're so nice.  I wouldn't exactly say that I'm smoking these races.  In fact, at GC I wasn't even running- it was more of a shuffle.  I have been thinking about changing my username from runnergirl to shufflegirl!

2006-05-17 3:08 PM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Janelle, you rocked. Shufflegirl doesn't fit you. From experience, running 13 mph is just as hard at that point as 10. I loved reading your rr, as usual. Awesome job!
2006-05-17 3:42 PM
in reply to: #426638

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Great report and fantastic job on finishing the whole damn thing!! Sounds like you did everything you wanted to which is more than most of the people in these type of events can say. And it sounds like you are well on your way to being ready for IMFL.

Congrats!
2006-05-17 5:09 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Janelle,

Great Race... Cant believe you did another HIM already. seems like last year I read your first one. And now you are ready to be a IM...

You rock, great RR and glad you didnt have your normal trots issue... lol

2006-05-17 7:46 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

Janelle, what a great race report.   This is documentation of an epic journey, a great accomplishment, and what is hopefully for you, a memorable event in your life.

You will be ready for IMFL.  Doing GC is a great primer for IMFL.  Forewarned is forearmed.

By the way, that line about the "cannon" brought back great memories for me.  When I did GC, that cannon was so cool.  I can still remember it's report echoing off of the condos around the race site.

Very cool.

2006-05-17 7:59 PM
in reply to: #426907

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA
Motivated - 2006-05-17 7:46 PM .

By the way, that line about the "cannon" brought back great memories for me.  When I did GC, that cannon was so cool.  I can still remember it's report echoing off of the condos around the race site.

LOL, I just thought about something with that cannon.  It was small, but SOOO loud.  I can only imagine how pissed off the vacationers were to hear that thing going off every 5 minutes for about an hour.

Janelle, great race and race report.  It was nice meeting you at the post race party.  We look forward to seeing you at IMFL.

Edited by H13 2006-05-17 8:04 PM

2006-05-17 8:39 PM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Awesome job, Janelle!  I love readng your RR's...I feel like I'm there!
2006-05-17 10:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN
hey girl..

great job! thanks for the details...TNT is great isn't it?? I love the cheers at the right time...you feel like your whole family is there!

you done good and you will rock in your IM

you inspire all us short people
2006-05-18 6:57 AM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
As usual, great work! Thanks for the RR.
2006-05-18 9:07 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Thanks for detailed report! Good reading!

Congrats on doing such a good job!
2006-05-18 9:51 AM

User image

Buttercup

Congratulations, Janelle!

I loved reading your race report. Having spectated IMFL last year, it was cool to visualize your journey as I read your report. Sounds like a great dress rehearsal for IMFL.

2006-05-18 4:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Norcross, GA
Great job, Janelle!!  You were so prepared for the race and it definitely showed through on each leg.  Very smart planning!  What a great achievement to shave off 8 min from last year
2006-05-18 7:12 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Congratulations Janelle   Great job...congrats on taking so much time off
2006-05-19 3:36 PM

User image

Elite

Great race report Janelle.  Congrats! 

2006-05-19 4:52 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

Awesome job and great race report!  Thanks for all the details.  I especially liked the comments about your 'ghetto' aero bottle set up. 

As you said, this was great practice for IM FL.  Congrats! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gulf Coast Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 2